March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Ken Nelson, Jimmy W, canvasback, Marc Ret, Licensed to kill, John E), 296 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Architect Louis Sullivan coined the term "Form follows function", and that seems to apply to a lot of these old tools. The elegant simplicity of Gil's tools illustrates that you don't need either a $1200.00 progressive loading press or expensive factory loads to feed our vintage doubles with appropriate loads. Speed is nice sometimes, but it isn't really necessary to produce enough quality shells for a season of bird hunting.

Miller, the charge tubes for the Belding & Mull Measures are indeed adjustable and volumetric. You set them for the desired charge, and the measure fills them. Then they are removed and dumped into the shell. Lather, rinse, repeat. The reason the B&M was so consistent is that the design incorporates two vessels or hoppers for powder. The brass upper hopper will naturally vary in depth and volume as you fill it, and gradually use it up. But with the B&M, the lower chamber with the little glass window fills up to the same level every time you pull the handle, and the next charge is taken from there, with no influence from the varying amount in the upper hopper. For bench rest and target shooters, consistent volume is more important than consistent weight, because the same charge can vary in weight by 1 or more percent just from the moisture content of the powder, due to changes in humidity. B&M made different charge tubes with small volumes for pistols and different larger sizes for larger rifle charges.

I've used a Lyman No.55 Powder Measure for years, and find it to be very consistent so long as I top off the hopper when it is drawn down about half way. And my Dad taught me to always use the same force and speed to operate the handle, and to make a habit of flipping my finger on the little knocker after each and every drop to knock loose any powder granules that might bridge or get stuck in the measure. Again, form follows function, and that little knocker that the competition chose to leave off their measures is something that makes the Lyman No.55 as good today as it was when it was introduced. As Miller says, basically the same design has worked well since the 1800's. Any problems with these simple tools can usually be traced to the guy who is using them.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Mike.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Belding & Mull original docs:
Belding & Mull docs as PDF

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not exactly a "loading" tool, but more of an "unloading" tool, and from the same era as some of the tools of which we posted photos. It's an old French game counter. Pheasants and partridges on one side, hares and rabbits on the other. It's from my family's estate in France. wink

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I've got a couple of different versions of the B&M measures with both brass and aluminum powder hoppers. I used to use them with my Scheutzen rifles but have since gone modern and use Harrel measures. When it comes to shotshells, I want to load quickly and a lot. I depend on my Spolar loader for that.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had given up looking for one of these W.Bartram type Capper decapper's then this very poor specimen nearly polished to within an inch of its existence appeared on eBay last week for not a lot of money. I could have made a good copy many years ago but machining Brass does not have the same colour as cast brass, cast has more Zinc, so it would stand out like a sore thumb with the other tools in the case. These cappers are extremely compact and very often found in top makers gun cases from the early to mid nineteenth centaury. Knowing that it is probably better to scrap the thing never the less I parted with the money for something that looks as if it had been used as a ball in a soccer match played on concrete. I do intend to restore it not rebuild it, even though the faults are near as dam it terminal. The Ebony handle is missing as well as its tang, the base plate is distorted also the threads in the plate are practically non existent so nothing will stay screwed in tightly, and as for the dents you can see for your self from the other photographs.

Given its condition I will put some effort to bring it back from the brink and make it fit for purpose once again. Though it is never going to be a thing of beauty, only a thing of worth.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus, looking forward to the "after" photos. Gil

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Recently acquired 16 ga. tools. Manufrance RTO, Manufrance wad seater ("rammer"), boxwood rammer with round knob and a spring loaded rammer with rosewood knob. Second photo is of a 16 ga. felt wad and over shot card punch. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus, that group of loading items is interesting. I especially like the pliers, made to fit the pinfire pin. I have seen a couple of these over the years, in groups with other things or in cases. They are certainly handy for reloading pinfire cartridges, much handier than the screw pin pulling attachment at the base of the more common pinfire cap inserters. Thanks for sharing those.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 03/14/19 03:30 PM.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.