May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Argo44, Jimmy W, HalfaDouble), 229 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,563
Posts546,372
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

No questions, Don. Just glad you're here. You answer questions in my head nearly every post. Thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Purdey is installing tubes in their new guns now. If it was me though I would opt for the one without.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
BrentD, What is the difference between a rare collectable gun and a nice shooter? It is subjective, that is until it comes time to sell it. Then a dealer will tell you the value is ruined while some, a few shooters might see extra versatility in it. But it never increases the value.

Rare is pretty easy to understand, albeit, it does not come with a threshold value. If it is refinished, modified, restocked, etc. it's already not what I would consider collectible as an original. Might collectible if a famous gunsmith did the work as is the case with rifles occasionally. Is a garden variety Sterlingworth a collector? Only if you consider every gun a collectible. Would choke tubes devalue it much or increase the value?

In Stan's example, there is a gun for which he apparently knew it's value with and without chokes. I think that is the sort of target situation being considered. I'm guessing he was looking at a 20% "reflected" price reduction. Rocketman seems to be in the same ballpark for shootibles vs. collectibles. Makes sense to me.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Need to provide a very brief answer right now. Pretty busy. But, I believe the Fox BE was devalued at least 30%. Might be able to elaborate more tonight if needed.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe there should be a consideration as to who's chokes are installed. Being the owner of a double with Teauge's "invisible" flush chokes installed, I can attest to his work being in a league of it's own.

Without knowing they are installed, you would miss them at a glance. The gun is also re-proofed after installation which helps in a world wide market if that is a consideration.

Yes, I agree that having chokes installed in a high end gun will affect it's value. However, I believe that hit in price is a sliding scale depending on who has performed the work.

I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just curious, when you state- "Depending on who did the work, and if that can be verified".. A recent trip to a Cabela's-BassMasters-Pro-Shop found a "Del Grego redone 12 bore Parker DHE- offered at about 5K-if memory serves. Indeed, fine looking wood finish, barrel blue and color case hardening- all screw heads "indexed"-- DT, AE 28" Titanic barrels, Skeleton BP-- all the DHE "Bells and Whistles"--

So just out of curiosity, I asked the young sales "associate" if they had a letter from DelGrego with the sn of the gun indicated on the bill for the work purportedly done by Del Grego-- He went back to the office to check with his boss- and came back and said- "No- but the person we bought it from told us that it was done by Mr. DelGrego"!!

Huumm- if I were writing that size of a check, I'd want better verification than just the "kind word of a stranger"-- maybe yes, maybe no- I'm no expert--

A hunting friend has a older 12 VH Parker- 30" Vulcan barrels, and he had Teague chokes installed (and has the attendant paperwork)- and after a walk-up shoot together, and the guns open and unloaded, he had me look down the tubes from the muzzle end- and sure enough- you couldn't see any sign of that precision work-- as to "re-sale" value, not an issue, as he doesn't plan to sell it-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Parker VHE that had been customized into a target gun. Restocked, some engraving, choke tubes, etc. In the case of a VHE 12ga, there's not huge value anyhow unless it's in near perfect original condition. So in that case, the value increased . . . but I don't know how much the custom work cost. Enough to offset the price of the post-customized gun? In that case, maybe so.

I just had occasion to look at a Fox A Grade 16ga, 32" barrels. Gun is in very good original condition . . . except for the fact that all choke was removed! Installing Brileys is about the only way to make it into a useful shooter. But whoever had the choke work done significantly devalued what has to be a pretty darned rare gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

British gun makers would always supply what the high end paying customers wanted. I am not surprised if they will put Teague chokes in them. They are a very well made choke tubes. Factory installed options do not hurt resale value as much as after market installed options, even when they are the same. Its a part of our obsession with factory original condition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had Teague tubes fitted to a few old British S/S's but only when the gun was already/being sleeved anyway and I wanted to make the gun more user friendly.
I don't think I would ever have Teagues fitted to a good original set of barrels unless the customer requested it.
I certainly wouldn't do it if I thought it was going to reduce the gun's value regardless of how use-able it made it!
I have been toying with the idea of having my father's Blanch BA SLE rebarrelled in 16g (the original barrels are toast) and would certainly have those Teague choked before proof. If you have the chance to shoot early season driven partridges and late January wily pheasants, you need very different chokes and I always shoot better with the same gun for the whole season, September to February.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Will Teague even install choke tubes in a Damascus barrel? For a long time Briley did not want to do it. Dont know if thats still the same way. Was told cutting and threading a steel barrel was much easier and more predictable than doing the same in a Damascus barrel.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.