March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Licensed to kill, bigblock, Der Ami, JDH, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a stunning gun, but at that price you'll need to plan on owning it forever unless you're willing to take a substantial hit when you sell it. There are guns for which I say "So what?" to that, as I consider them a lifetime purchase. Others I would pass on as I'd like to play with them, but they don't speak to me in the same way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
No significance at all....just means she swallowed a couple if hard pills and survived.

I'd say the reproof came when she was tarted up for sale.

I believe for a gun to be sold in England it has to have a current proof.

My guess is the high asking price is including the cost of tarting.

Just speculations...

Not quite Frank. A gun can be sold in the UK without "current proof" but it must remain in proof. The bores can not exceed the maximum diameter at last proof, no matter when that proof was done. An older gun that is in proof does not need to be re-submitted for current proof standards.

I knew that...but if the bores are honed like this guns then they have to have a current proof before sale.

The fact that they were honed shows in his advertisment of choke.

.002 and .003 choke left over from barrel honing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, the .002-.003 choke is more likely a deliberate decision to not hone the chokes area when honing the bores. It gives the gun a little choke. If done several times you could end up with a set of barrels with .006-.010 choke if reproofed. Then the barrel with more than .008 choke could be marked as having choke. I saw a nice H &H that had been reproofed which had .006 and .010 choke which was later marked for choke. Seller explained this was odd but most likely reason for it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yea...you saw...he saw and she said.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I agree with Ky Jon. That choke business was a question mark for me. The closest Reilly this gun comes to in my database is 17392 - a 16 gauge - one of Terry's (see below)
--(note false percussion cap fences)
--(note left-hand side-lever)
--(note Birmingham BP proofs...this gun is odd).

I date 17392 to early 1872. Choke boring as we know it didn't begin until mid 1875. With Birmingham BP original proofs and with IC chokes...17392 had to have been rebarreled by Reilly after choke boring began in earnest. Either that or there was something going on with honing the barrel later that could create an IC choke, something I don't know about.

This is one of the reasons I've asked for the SN on Steve's 12 gauge. I'd like to get a look at the barrel flats as well. There should be no "not for ball" if it too is pre 1875 as I suspect. Steve got back to me...said he'd have his secretary send the SN - he's traveling.

================================================================

http://www.amoskeagauction.com/110/132.php
serial #17392, 16 ga., 28" barrels with bright excellent bores choked improved cylinder in each. This shotgun shows period Birmingham black powder proofs with later London Nitro proofs and modern "70MM, 900 BAR" proofs. The barrels are generally over .030 everywhere except for one spot in one barrel that gets to .027". The action and locks show near full coverage scroll engraving with no makers name appearing on the action or locks. The barrel rib is engraved "E.M. REILLY & CO. NEW OXFORD ST. LONDON" and retains 95% beautifully restored brown finish with strong damascus pattern their entire lengths. The action and locks retain an even grayish patina with rebounding hammers and crisp locks. The checkered straight grip walnut buttstock and forend rate very good plus with a good deal of original finish, perhaps some added light oil and a beautiful toe and heel buttplate with checkered center panel. The shotgun locks up tight and features a 13 3/4" pull with drops of 1 1/2" and 2 1/2". A nice tight sidelever Reilly small bore double that seems like she's ready to go. (17147-143) {C&R} [Terry Buffum Collection] (1500/2500) SOLD FOR $2,185.00

Last edited by Argo44; 03/05/19 06:58 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

The hammers in the second photo look a little like those on Lancaster's. Hammer guns, can't have too many.

Sidelock
Sidelock

IC choke on an English gun was generally around 0.006" constriction, even ¼ choke was only about 0.010" constriction. Since these are given as diameters only 0.003"-0.005" is removed from the actual wall thickness. "IF" there was ample wall thickness it would have been no big deal to have reamed the barrel a bit oversize leaving an IC choke at the muzzle.

I would not really see anything to arouse my suspicions it was re-barreled rather than just re-bored & re-proofed.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Miller, I sort of thought that after Ky Jon educated me and I suddenly recalled the details about 17392. But, then re-reading the description, I got worried about the Birmingham proofed barrels. Serial numbered Reillys almost always (always?) had London proofed barrels. I think you and Ky Jon are correct about both guns....the 12 gauge Reilly with Steve Barnett was originally cylinder bore and was pre 1875 (we'll find out when we get the SN)...the honing left a slight choke on the barrel.... And the same can be said for Terry Buffum's 17392. - Now how to account for the Birmingham BP proof...?

Last edited by Argo44; 03/05/19 11:26 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
IC choke on an English gun was generally around 0.006" constriction, even ¼ choke was only about 0.010" constriction. Since these are given as diameters only 0.003"-0.005" is removed from the actual wall thickness. "IF" there was ample wall thickness it would have been no big deal to have reamed the barrel a bit oversize leaving an IC choke at the muzzle.

Not much doubt in my mind it's had a hone job most likely to remove pits and they stayed away from the muzzle ends as to not make them too thin and just ended up with a whisper of choke.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

SN is 20164, which would date to Spring 1877. I've asked Malinda, Steve's secretary if she could forward pictures of the barrel flats and the address on the rib.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.