April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 835 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 23 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 22 23
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller do you think it mathematically possible to kill 13 quail on the ground with one shot from a 12 guage when fired into a covey of quail ?

Just curious...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JHJ
The scale in the gunsmiths shop settled at 4lb 14oz. This light weight forced me to adapt to the gun. Old sight pictures became useless. A smooth mount to the front with shot almost immediate is how I can best describe it.

I shoot some very lightweight guns for doves and quail, and the style I have to use to shoot well is exactly as you described. I, too, have to trigger the gun almost as soon as my cheek hits the wood. If I track the bird, even a short piece, like I do with a heavier gun, it's almost a guaranteed miss. The guns I have to shoot like this weigh from 4 - 14 to 6 - 7. A skeet field is a good place to practice this style shooting.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
An old friend, and hunting buddy of my Grandad's, told me of an incident, after Grandaddy died. Grandaddy shot a '97 pump back then. The dogs pointed on his side of an old house spot. Grandaddy saw the covey on the ground and shot into them, killing seven with the shot. He then killed six more as they got up, with the remaining six shells.

Those were the meat hunting days, and Grandaddy said he would sometimes kill 50 in a day's hunting. Different times, different circumstances. Probably killed way over half the covey with that one rise. Kinda sad to think about today.

SRH

A friend spoke recently at another friend's funeral and in his eulogy said a person dies twice. First the physical death and then when no one alive remembers the departed. Bubba said as long as he lived, Pete wouldn't die a second time. These stories about loved ones shared after their deaths help keep them from dying a second time. After reading this, I thought about your granddad and remembered the account of how moved he was when you came home from college and told him you wanted to be a farmer like him. Thanks for sharing. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

There's some things better left untold...

Shooting into a covey of quail on the ground is one of them.

How does every thread turn into a grand pappy story ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Miller do you think it mathematically possible to kill 13 quail on the ground with one shot from a 12 guage when fired into a covey of quail ?

Just curious...

Well, let's see, shooting a '97 pump he most likely was using 1 1/8oz of shot, assuming #8s that's 461 pellets or about 35 per bird. Yep, I'd say it was "mathematically" possible.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

How does every thread turn into a grand pappy story ?

Just so happens that when some folk were created they had a heart put in their chest that does more than just pump blood.

O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: moses
Just so happens that when some folk were created they had a heart put in their chest that does more than just pump blood.

Thanks, O.M. I hope I don't talk about him too much on here. When someone has been such a huge part of your life, and taught you so much, it's hard not to. None of my friends have ever seemed to mind, over the last 44 years.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I certainly have no problems with it Stan. I know that my grandfather had a lot to do with making me who I am today.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I always found it odd as term of endearment until I worked in The South and learned it was authentic of the vernacular. I like it. It seems more personal and loving than GrandDad, Grandpa or Gramps.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: moses

O.M

Thank God for that seeing my blood is half fat and cholesterol.

What can I say, I like my bacon and eggs.

Originally Posted By: King Brown
I always found it odd as term of endearment until I worked in The South and learned it was authentic of the vernacular. I like it. It seems more personal and loving than GrandDad, Grandpa or Gramps.

Figured you were over in Brussels working on Brexit or dead.
Good to see you post.

Page 10 of 23 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.