May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (MattH, Ken57, ClapperZapper, 3 invisible), 1,077 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,543
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23
Sidelock
Sidelock

You know dOgs are smarter than most people they don't generally do things for no reason.

Smells that are offensive to us are often time not offensive to them...just take the smell of a skunk I don't want it directly on me...but it doesn't really bother me too much.

I often wondered if the bird dog rolled in cow patties because of a skin condition that it helped or maybe it helped his hAir.

eYe bet that's what it is with you...you likes to rub it in your long hAir'a.

Ever saw a hunting dog roll on the ground where a dead carcass was ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recall, once, quite a few pheasant seasons ago, when there were 5 of us, my neighbor and his two teen-agers (both passing the hunter safety courses MI requires today) and my neighbor's doctor- we had 3 large farms connected by fencerows- all of that area ours to hunt--and my Lab Dixie, and my neighbor's Lab Lady- great october Sat- little cloudy, slight breeze.

Five hunters, all legal, limit of 2 roosters daily-- equals 10 birds total for the day--

Long story short-- The doctor shot 6 birds, before any of us could get in range-- When I asked him about stopping after the first clean kill- and letting Steve's boys get a crack at their first rooster pheasant-- he brushed me off- saying some akin to: "Hell, they'll get plenty of chances when they get older-- I carried my gun unloaded for the rest of that long-long day afield-- Never invited him to hunt with us again.

The late Paul. A. Curtis said it best: "The field is the touchstone of the man".. RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 03/12/19 09:45 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

William Tecumseh Sherman set the mold for later villains in wartime: Hitler, Himmler, Stalin, Tojo, Chairman Mao-- No war has any degree of civility in its battle plan-- The "War of Northern Aggression" left scars upon our land, whether North of South of the Mason-Dixon line, that still exist today-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
You know dOgs are smarter than most people they don't generally do things for no reason.

Smells that are offensive to us are often time not offensive to them...just take the smell of a skunk I don't want it directly on me...but it doesn't really bother me too much.

I often wondered if the bird dog rolled in cow patties because of a skin condition that it helped or maybe it helped his hAir.

eYe bet that's what it is with you...you likes to rub it in your long hAir'a.

Ever saw a hunting dog roll on the ground where a dead carcass was ?

I would not place more than you can afford to loose on that bet Frankie b0y.....the one that smells foul is you sunshine.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
Skill with a shotgun---"always shoot 'em on the wing"---is an affectation. Bringing meat home at another time was a necessity.

I lived in a fishing village of subsistence living. An orange in a stocking was a big treat at Christmas. Judging by today's values is wearisome.

I noticed King's post a few pages back, before this thread turned into a cat-callin' contest. I think I agree to some extent that wing shooting is an affection. It, in my mind, is the difference between an outdoorsman and a sportsman.

If I'm just after meat I know a better way to get it than wingshooting. Back in the day Stan's grandfather made his "big shoot", there were countrymen who needed and used the birds they killed. They were probably better outdoorsmen than we'll ever be.

To my mind the sportsman of that time and the sporting ethic of the time which we honor today (even if often in the breach) was a city thing. My grandfather lived through the same depression the countrymen did but he was a town living druggist and his personal bird hunting ethic was probably guided by the sporting literature of the day rather than the need to acquire supper...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you were after meat, you wouldn't waste shotgun shells on quail at all. You would trap them. Of course, that is not legal today, and it suffices to say what meat is only a byproduct of modern hunting, not the sole motivation for it.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
William Tecumseh Sherman set the mold for later villains in wartime: Hitler, Himmler, Stalin, Tojo, Chairman Mao-- No war has any degree of civility in its battle plan-- The "War of Northern Aggression" left scars upon our land, whether North of South of the Mason-Dixon line, that still exist today-- RWTF

Sounds much like the "War of Southern Stupidity". Let's not go there either.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted By: King Brown
Skill with a shotgun---"always shoot 'em on the wing"---is an affectation. Bringing meat home at another time was a necessity.

I lived in a fishing village of subsistence living. An orange in a stocking was a big treat at Christmas. Judging by today's values is wearisome.

I noticed King's post a few pages back, before this thread turned into a cat-callin' contest. I think I agree to some extent that wing shooting is an affection. It, in my mind, is the difference between an outdoorsman and a sportsman.

If I'm just after meat I know a better way to get it than wingshooting. Back in the day Stan's grandfather made his "big shoot", there were countrymen who needed and used the birds they killed. They were probably better outdoorsmen than we'll ever be.

To my mind the sportsman of that time and the sporting ethic of the time which we honor today (even if often in the breach) was a city thing. My grandfather lived through the same depression the countrymen did but he was a town living druggist and his personal bird hunting ethic was probably guided by the sporting literature of the day rather than the need to acquire supper...Geo

Take your well reasoned and gentlemanly post out of here, Geo. Us rednecks are ground sluicing birds and fighting the Civil War.

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox

Vox populi, vox humbug.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
If you were after meat, you wouldn't waste shotgun shells on quail at all. You would trap them. Of course, that is not legal today, and it suffices to say what meat is only a byproduct of modern hunting, not the sole motivation for it.

We finally agree on something.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: BrentD

We finally agree on something.

You will get over it.

_________

Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.