April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (buckstix, NCTarheel), 1,018 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,187
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

I seem to recall reading that a few PHs were fans of very simple designs, sans single triggers or ejectors. Both have reputations that might be a liability on a working gun.
The most dangerous game ever in my world were the skunks that invariably ended up in my fox sets, hell hath no fury like an 8th grade teacher forced to smell skunk for the second time in a week.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bell indeed did use a bolt action for the vast majority of his hunting. Two of his favorites were the 6.5mm Mannlicher & the 7x57 Mauser which most folks do not consider Elephant rifles. As I recall he killed more than 500 Elephants with that little .276 (7x57). "IF" a critter is charging you are not concerned about Noise. If on the other hand, one is simply reloading after a shot with critters still present which it is undesirable to give away your location a bolt action can be worked softly & virtually Noiseless.

I do not have any of Bell's books but near the end of his life, he wrote an article in the American Rifleman with a summation of his years of experience in Africa. It was extremely interesting & I have re-read it several times. Bell hunted in a different time frame than did Taylor & both conditions & their technics were different.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It may have been in one of Capstick's books that discussed as an aside that some native kills of elephants were with muzzleloaders wherein the hunter would sneak underneath the elephant and shoot up and through the "armpit" of the animal towards the location of the heart. No marksmanship required; just guts.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dean & Bill are holding back on us wink
Here's the Trojan Skeet gun thread; you have to sign in for the images

http://www.parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?p=132889

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK. Another Carole Lombard. A promo still for "Made For Each Other" released in Feb. 1939

Cutts equipped solid rib pump, and I don't see a barrel band. Dave has not seen a catalog listing for a Remington Model 17 Skeet gun; likely a Model 31 but the barrel doesn't look like a 12g
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=217091

Not the autoloader she was using at the Santa Monica Gun Club in 1938

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the eagle in photo A is a immature Bald Eagle.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause

I read all three pages. Very interesting. Several PHs, and clients with multiple dangerous game hunts, prefer ejectors. A few don't. The more I read, the more I learned. The preferred method of reloading an extractor DR is to tilt the breech down and let the cases fall free, then rotate back right-side up and reload. This assumes a tapered, rimmed case and not a belted case with a recessed rim. The point is stated over and over that the ping of the ejectors may alert DG to your position. What will the sound of two big brass hulls pinging together as they fall free from the chambers onto the ground do? Ejected hulls rarely land on top off each other to make a noise.

One PH made the point that, even using the "tilt and fall free" method of reloading an extractor gun, it is still a good two seconds slower than using ejectors. I dunno from experience, but I'll just bet that two seconds when a buff or elephant is bearing down on you is an eternity. I know darn well how quickly a 400# wild hog can cover a few yards coming towards you.

Another point. If I am going to the Dark Continent for DG with a DR I am going to practice shooting and reloading many, many times. I am going to instill in my mind the importance of breaking that rifle open as quickly as humanly possible after firing that second round. I believe it would be easily learned to have those shells ejected by the time the game recovered from the sound of the gunfire, thereby taking away that opportunity for the game to identify your position by the ping of the ejectors. Having taken many deer or hogs out of a herd/drove I have seen the befuddled look for a few brief seconds as the survivors try to figure out what just happened. Not always, but often.

Having shot S x S ejector guns for many years on a "hot" dove field, I am quite accustomed to sweeping that top lever swell with the heel of my hand within a second or two after the last round clears the muzzle.

Interesting discussion. Thanks again for the link, Doc.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks like a plain Model 31A "Standard" Grade with a Cutts that Carole is holding in that promo shot.

Here is Osa Johnson in Africa with her U.S. made double --

and here is a bit closer look --

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.