March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 832 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
#11 is likely Roosevelt's famous Holland and Holland double rifle. For anyone who would be interested it is featured in the 1 1/2 hr. documentary/movie by George Butler, and released in 1989 entitled In The Blood. It is a very well done documentary about a safari in 1986 on which Butler's grandson, 13 yr. old Tyssen Butler, takes his first big game animal, a Cape buffalo, with Roosevelt's rifle. Roosevelt's grandson, Ted, is on the safari, along with R L Wilson (author) and others. The famous Kenyan PH Robin Hurt is key in the film as well. There is an underlying question that is addressed at great length in the film concerning the killing of big game as a means of conservation of the species.

One of the finest hunting films I've ever seen ........... very emotional at times, and with much actual footage of Roosevelt's 1909 safari with his son, Kermit. So as not to sidetrack Drew's fine thread, anyone interested can pm me for more information about it.

SRH

William Simon, Secretary of the Treasury from 1974 to 1977, owned the TR rifle when In the Blood was made. He appeared in the video and, I think supported it financially.

Simon was a graduate of Lafayette College and a major donor to it. He donated the funds that were used to build the Simon Center, home of the Lafayette Economics Department. One of his conditions in making the donation was that his operational 19th century Gatling Gun be prominently displayed in the lobby of the building. Rumor was that this was partially based on laws in New Jersey preventing him from keeping the Gatling Gun there. It was enclosed in a thick plexi-glass case. After his death, the College was pleased to return it to his family, as the insurance costs of maintaining it in the building were substantial.

Last edited by vangulil; 03/15/19 12:16 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I realize how entertaining the skunk squirt threads are, but ya' gotta try harder guys smile

Foster Sr. shot a 27" barrel 20 gauge DHE Parker SN 225905

And what's the deal with that Trojan with a BTFE??

I don't have an answer to this one either.

John Wayne in "McLINTOCK!". The film was shot at Old Tucson Studios, west of Tucson, and also at San Rafael Ranch near Patagonia https://www.nogalesinternational.com/the...e215a61d68.html
Territorial Governor Cuthbert H. Humphrey was not a historical character. The setting was probably Colorado (Mesa Verde and Denver are mentioned) which became a State in 1876. The Comanche were first sent to Fort Sill in 1875.

The pheasant hunting scene starts just past 1:16 and a good view of gun is at 1:18. It appears to be a hammer ejector with something inlayed into the right side of the stock, and a "White Line" pad? It has been suggested that the shells used are 1960s green Remingtons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9wNbD7wJrQ

BTW: The first pheasant season opened in Oregon in 1892; not introduced into Kansas until 1906 and S. Dakota in 1908

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was re-reading this thread when I recognized the Lefever single shot being held by the kid in the campaign hat pictured in Brent's post. Nothing else looks like it. I was just about to skip ahead and post my accomplishment when I ran into Researcher's post beating me to it by several pages. I coulda been a contender...Geo

JBG Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Below are some pictures of the Numbers Book and Day Book entries of Teddy's Holland and Holland 500/450.

It has 26" barrels which seem to have been the most common length in early large bore Holland Nitro chamberings.

Number Book

Day Book

Sidelock
Sidelock

wonder what Teddy had against ejectors- this H&H and his High grade A.H. Fox 12 bore- both guns w/o ejectors? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

A lot of discouraging threads here have been locked or disappeared lately. Could be we've awakened our moderator. Good...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
wonder what Teddy had against ejectors- this H&H and his High grade A.H. Fox 12 bore- both guns w/o ejectors? RWTF

I wonder too, not necessarily with the Fox, but more so with the H a& H rifle. I would think ejectors to be much appreciated on a dangerous game double rifle.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many shooters did not trust or like ejector on double rifles. Funniest reason Ive herd is the noise they make when kicking out the spent cases. Funny because two booming discharges might have tipped off the big game where you were. Another reason Ive heard that a ejector failure was considered a real problem if it occurred. Extractors were tried and true, with a brute force cam action to extract the case so you could remove and reload. If your Spring was weak or not able to cam the case out if swollen your gun could become a single shot or worse inoperable. And some just did not want to spend the extra money.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I recall John Taylor AKA Pondora did not like ejectors. After I have killed my 1,000th elephant I will tell him he was wrong.
The "Booming" sound of firing a big bore is not as easy to locate in heavy cover as it echos around, as is the click of an ejector.

I have a copy of his book "African Rifles & Cartridges" but would have to pull it out & see for certain what all he said on the subject, but that I do recall from memory.

From actual experience on FAR smaller Beasts, I have seen squirrels not quit cutting hickory nuts and other masts when one was shot with a shotgun, yet a breaking of a small twig on the ground may well send them Scampering.

My experience in hunting Dangerous Game in thick cover is a Giant NIL, so can't really speak from experience there. I would put a lot of stock in what Taylor had to say though, even if he was a poacher.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have couple of Bell's books, but don't remember him mentioning ejectors. Doesn't mean it's not in there, tho'. Been a long time since I read them. He killed a lot of elephants with a bolt action rifle as I recall. An ejector's "click" certainly is not as noisy as the sound of a bolt gun opening and closing.

I'd like to hear several PHs opinions on the subject. What I don't know about it would fill volumes.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.