March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44, Ian Forrester, SKB), 806 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I know of no proper way or repairing a blown tube other than shortening the barrels. You could sleeve them or re-barrel but I'm not sure you are much better off. I just shortened a set of Westley Richards drop lock barrels because the muzzle was blown. He was very lucky though and lost less than an inch of length and still has plenty of choke.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bummer! Crown over crossed pistols suggests damascus barrels? Do all the numbers match? Ejectors or extractor? The Grade of the Diamond Quality guns was, in part, defined by that feature. The year of manufacture was also a factor in determining which grade. The most common Diamond Quality grade (I think) was "275") w/ejector,"225" w.o. Usually two or three fine banknote engraved game scenes and usually no gold embellishment. These Lindner guns were available from before 1899 to WW1. Grade "375" w/ejector, "325" w/o. Heavy, deep chiseled Germanic engraving, lots of gold critters. For $500 you could order a "Regent Diamond" Quality. The rib was marked "Regent Diamond" and a gold crown on the bottom of the action. Very few were made so beware of fakes. Ken's book is a must have for Daly guys.

vam5067 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not sure how to post pics but it's in fair condition. All numbers match and it does have ejectors. I think it would be a 200 grade based on it being a Diamond Quality gun made prior to 1892. This gun has a deer with quail on the underside of the action with no gold inlays so definitely not a Regent Diamond. Wanna figure out what I should list it for seeing Superior and Empire grade Dalys listed for more than $5K on Gunsinternational.

Last edited by vam5067; 03/23/19 08:25 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I kinda suspected that may be the case Steve, but its still depressing to hear there is no road back for vam5067s Daly that doesnt leave it significantly altered.

The 275 is what I have and, as luck would have it, my favourite grade level. Either the 275 or the extractor version. I find the 300 level and 500 level a bit much for my tastes. Not typically a fan of gold inlay on firearms.

Last edited by canvasback; 03/23/19 11:59 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

What would be the length if you clean it up? 30 cut to 28 isn't bad. 26 cut to 23, not so good.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ejectors were introduced in 1888. By 1892, Diamond quality ejector guns were designated "250" grade. If you are willing to share the serial number it would help Ken's research as official keeper of the Daly data base.
You have a Lindner built gun and to me more desirable than post lindner Prussian Dalys. The terms "Empire" and "Superior' don't show up until several years after lindner died.
Dalys were stupid expensive in the day and many surviving examples have been rebarreled. I currently have two rebarreled
Diamond Quality Dalys that are great shooters. It's expensive but very few 20 gauge Diamond Quality Lindner Dalys were built and fewer survive today. Bring it to the Southern.

vam5067 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Barrel length would go from 28" to 26" so not unusual on a 20ga. Serial number is 369X.

Cutting the barrels and prepping them for blacking should be less expensive than having a matching Damascus pattern mated to the damaged barrel. From what I'm gathering, this gun is valuable enough to recoup my investment.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like the beginning of a plan. What condition is the rest of the gun? Is the damascus pattern crisp and well defined? The remaining bores clean and straight? The wood solid with acceptable dimensions? Are the engraving and screw heads still sharp and well defined? Trigger pulls and ejectors work satisfactorily? If the answers are "yes", IMHO, go for it, someone will surly be interested. 26" Diamond Quality 20 ga with Thin-walls would make a great shooter.
Cheers,
Jon

vam5067 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gun is in good condition except barrels which are fair. Because I have to alter the barrels I'm going to refinish them as well. Might as well make it look good if it's not original. Bores are shiny. Wood is faded but I've seen worse. Haven't tested the triggers and ejectors but LOP is 14". Thanks for the kind words!

Last edited by vam5067; 03/24/19 01:50 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Posted on behalf of the OP. These are the only photos available. OP not yet in possession of the gun.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.