May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (earlyriser, MattH, Ted Schefelbein, FlyChamps), 222 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,493
Posts545,327
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Aussie
Unregistered
Aussie
Unregistered

Well, I would love a Stephen Grant 12g best side lock ejector sxs with top lever and fluted fences at 6 1/2 lb with improved cyl. & 1/2 chokes, but I am a greedy bloke and should be happy with the two sxs game guns that I have, both 12 bore double trigger fixed chokes; My favorite is my Beretta Giubileo II, straight stock, 28" barrels, .010" & .027" chokes, at 6lb 8oz. The other is a Midland Gun Co. best box lock, Prince of Wales grip, 27" barrels, .010" & .035" chokes, at 6lb 13oz.

I also own Dad's Parker Bros. 28" 12g with great sentimental value, but it handles like a log.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I come from a background where having one gun was the norm. Having a cabinet full of guns, for the guys of my grandfather's generation, was as unthinkable as having a harem. So... if а gun is to do it all, it has to be a 12. If it has to last a lifetime, it has to be well-built. If you must use shot of different hardness, e.i. lead and steel, it has to have replacable chokes (or barrels). If a gun is to be practical afield, it has to be able to fire at least twice without reloading. And if you might be reduced to shooting very inferior ammo, e.g. reload shells for more times than they can handle, it better be a non-ejector double. Between that, and provided the stock fit, just about anything will do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm almost at that place, now. I could get along very nicely with my Skimin and Wood 12 gauge box BLNE, side-by-side. I have written about this gun's trials and tribulations, before. This gun might be a bit heavy for "an all-around gun", at a touch over eight pounds, but it balances very nicely with its 30-inch barrels. As a result, the gun does not "feel heavy" once it is put up. I suppose that the gun could be a bit of a load in "hard hunting" in rough terrain but I seldom do that kind of thing, anymore. Clay target shooting with, possibly, some light pheasant hunting is more my speed, these days, and the gun performs magnificently in such applications. Recoil is not punishing except with loads that I am disinclined to shoot regularly in an 85-year-old gun. Since the gun is fitted with Briley screw-in chokes, pattern versatility is not an issue.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems I read somewhere that Elmer Keith answered:
“For either man or woman who wants a very fine upland gun that is light enough to carry all day and will regularly kill large birds like pheasant to 50 or 55 years, we believe they look no further than 2 3/4” chambered 16 bore gun.”

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

My lightweight 12 ga. drilling--also has an 8x57 barrel. Swings like a magic wand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"IF" I had to have only one gun, just give me a 6 3/4-7 lb 12 gauge with 28" barrels choked .010R & .020L. It would preferably be a side lock or Lefever & would have "Two" (Count'em) triggers. Ejectors would be immaterial, could live with 'em or without em.
I could also live with a 16 with same specs except for 1/4 lb lighter weight range. For one gun I would not want it much over 7 lb, nor under 6˝ lbs.
It would use from 1 oz to 1Ľ oz @ around 1200 fps. That will cover around 90% of shotgun hunting & I just wouldn't go or the other 10%.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ShowMeSon
Seems I read somewhere that Elmer Keith answered:
“For either man or woman who wants a very fine upland gun that is light enough to carry all day and will regularly kill large birds like pheasant to 50 or 55 years, we believe they look no further than 2 3/4” chambered 16 bore gun.”

Did Elmer Keith actually hunt pheasants on a regular basis? I doubt it.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

50 to 55 years- believe the old Elmer K. meant yards-- He must have eyesight similar to Chuck Yeager-- I don't shoot ducks at a guesstimated 50 yards-- the closer they come, the better.

I have my one gun(shotgun)--have had it for years- I call it "My Old Ernesto" because it is similar to the first shotgun Hemingway bought in 1928--probably Pauline bought it for him. Trap Grade Model 12- 12 gauge 30" full, solid rib, factory red pad. Mine was made in 1937--

Of course, I don't hunt: doves (banned in MI) grouse, quail and woodcock now-a-days. Ducks, geese, pigeons and crows are my "forte"-- But if the SHIF here-a-bouts- I can fill it with OO buck for a defensive scenario-- I have 7 Model 12's- earliest mfg. date 1921- latest- 1949. In Winchester's best years, IMO.

RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 03/28/19 08:58 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Funny how things work out. When I did this post back in 2012 I had no idea I would ever be able to fulfill this dream.
But since then with some hard work and trading around I now have the little Purdey 20 bore, with the 29" barrels and two other sets of barrels to boot.
Funny how things happen.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PALUNC
Funny how things work out. When I did this post back in 2012 I had no idea I would ever be able to fulfill this dream.
But since then with some hard work and trading around I now have the little Purdey 20 bore, with the 29" barrels and two other sets of barrels to boot.
Funny how things happen.

We would all probably love to see a thread with a bunch of pictures of this gun. Spare no effort, post a bunch of them. I would love to see it, and it would make a great topic that everyone would enjoy.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.