March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jtplumb, JDH, craigd, JayCee, Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 347 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,991
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Ken61 #544501 04/26/19 07:59 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
Thanks Ted,

Yeah, I'm finally back to normal. And, I've also cleared my massive backlog of barrels. I'm reducing the number I accept now to reduce the amount of "hang time" when they are waiting for me to work on them.

Curious.... What do you mean by "hang time" ? If you're referring to damacus refinishing, surely you aren't starting the process then stopping, as you call "hang time"...?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll be more than happy to redo your tubes. In both your cases, I did have your tubes an exfessivly long time. It was what I call "Hang Time" when I had accepted them but had not started working on them. I no longer accept barrels until I'm ready to work on them. In both cases tubes were requested to be sent back before they were done. Not that I blame you, I had had them for too long. Same with a set of English barrels I recently sent back in unacceptable condition. I hope I get those back as well. Currently, I'm providing about a four month turnaround time. I do not expect anyone to be satisfied with substandard results, so feel free to return them.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Battle, I think it was the amount of time he left the barrels soaking in acid. frown
My Parker barrels were etched so severely that the rib engraving almost disappeared and the serial number on the side of the underlug is almost unreadable. Best of all was the etch was allowed to do its work inside the entire length of the bores! My gunsmith had his work cut out trying to hone them out for me.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Ken61 #544512 04/26/19 10:35 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
I'll be more than happy to redo your tubes. In both your cases, I did have your tubes an exfessivly long time. It was what I call "Hang Time" when I had accepted them but had not started working on them. I no longer accept barrels until I'm ready to work on them. In both cases tubes were requested to be sent back before they were done. Not that I blame you, I had had them for too long. Same with a set of English barrels I recently sent back in unacceptable condition. I hope I get those back as well. Currently, I'm providing about a four month turnaround time. I do not expect anyone to be satisfied with substandard results, so feel free to return them.

Redo them? They couldn’t stand another round with you. And there is no way you could restore the “wiggle lines” or the Parker name on the ribs. How about also compensating me the $350 my gunsmith charged for the barrel honing and putting the barrel back on face as a result of letting the acid eat away the underlug! It wouldn’t be so bad and I wouldn’t be so angry had you not lied about the barrels for so long. For two years I would call and you would say they were finished and would be shipped “next week” only to increase the frustration when they didn’t show up. Several other customers of yours who I have visited with had the same experience. Didn’t one finally have the local police pay you a visit encouraging you to return the barrels?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Battle, I think it was the amount of time he left the barrels soaking in acid. frown
My Parker barrels were etched so severely that the rib engraving almost disappeared and the serial number on the side of the underlug is almost unreadable. Best of all was the etch was allowed to do its work inside the entire length of the bores! My gunsmith had his work cut out trying to hone them out for me.

WOW... If the percentage of etch solution is accurate, the acid dip shouldn't take that long.

Sorry to hear about your barrels.

Last edited by battle; 04/26/19 10:36 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a sample of the Parker barrel. No, the camera is not out of focus and the colors are true. Everything was sharp and smooth before Ken Marburger (Ken61) got his hands on them. All the surfaces appear as if they have been sandblasted with coarse sand—millions of deep pits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I no longer have the set of barrels, but aside from the poor finish, I believe the bores were etched as well in line with Joe's experience from prolonged soaking without being properly sealed, just not to the same extent. In any event, Ken, respectfully, I would not send another set of barrels to you. Colors were about the same as Joe's, a sort of dirty, low-contrast, streaky gray.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Costly lesson.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Ken61, I’m still waiting for a refund for my two barrels you destroyed with your “refinishing”.

It looks like you'll be waiting a long time Joe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This Ken dude shouldn’t be anywhere near a sxs barrel.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.