May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tim Carney, R. Glenz, bushveld, 1 invisible), 255 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,031
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

not sure why you guys like 45'ves. way too much kick for a follow up shot. particularly for the acp.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most people who use a .45 do so with the realization they likely wont need to shoot twice.

Best,
Ted

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

lol....got me!

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dal
not sure why you guys like 45'ves. way too much kick for a follow up shot. particularly for the acp.

A 9mm round will sometimes fail to expand, but .45 ACP will never shrink. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whoa! James is starting handgun, and wondering what type and calibre. Doesn't it depend on the mission? My two cents: anyone can shoot well, with practise. Get good with a .22, less expense, less noise and less-likely flinching. Type? Try what others are using at the gun club.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree- I shoot .22's almost year-round- 2 area clubs have pistol leagues- I usually use my Mark-1 Ruger Bull barrel target pistol, and get all the practice you can- it pays off. I have a Colt Python 6" barrel-- and I usually shoot .38 wadcutters in that masterpiece wheel-gun-- sometimes drop in a full house .357 round, and spin the cylinder close it w/o looking to see which of the 6 holes has the "Big Boy"-- great way to work yourself out of a flinch- can't use that technique with a 1911-A-1 .45 ACP however. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
Whoa! James is starting handgun, and wondering what type and calibre. Doesn't it depend on the mission?....

Whoa, better read what it says on the license, eh? My, up to fourteen and a half, sense is to get something that starts with a good crisp trigger or can be tuned by someone. After the newness wears off and if someone wants to improve their accuracy and maybe speed, I think a heavy, inconsistent trigger is tough to try to ignore. To me, it's sort of like binoculars, little jiggles end up multiplied down range.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Craig's right King......there can only be one legal mission in Canada, thanks to people who vote for gun and rights restricting politicians of all stripes. And those who would gladly throw other gun enthusiasts of any stripe under the bus as long as they are left alone.

Now, if I lived in the US it would be different. But as my dad always says...."If my aunt had balls she's be my uncle"

Last edited by canvasback; 05/01/19 09:02 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

James, by mission I was referring to use: plinking, competition, self-defence.

I was 20 when I registered my Ruger with the Mounties and I answered Sgt. Rankin correctly that I was going to use it for target shooting. It was a different time. He looked straight into my eyes and said "If you're gong to shoot somewhere else just make sure there is no one around for miles."

I obeyed his liberal interpretation of the rules, and still do, except for when I left the pistol in my fishing kitbag at the side of road by a lake in only-me wide-open spaces. An angler found the bag and turned it over to the RCMP. When I showed up to get it, Rankin just pointed at the bag and said "There it is. Go."

At the time I was a reporter on the provincial daily living in Halifax. I built a 40-foot range, using shorts, in my basement. I've enjoyed plinking ever since. My visiting grandson said 15 years ago, "Gramps, see if you can hit this," throwing an empty 50-round .22 box into the air. It was my best-ever shot.

I live on 50 acres in the woods at the end of a 500-metre driveway. Canada is mostly wide expanses with lots of places to comfortably make moonshine or grow cannabis or make love outside of vows without a soul ever knowing. Be the man you want to be. Bandit Marchand gets away with it nearly every night before millions!

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In shooting large caliber handguns, I would inevitably develop a flinch. My shooting partner would help me out the flinch by randomly handing me an empty chambered .22 lr. that I would fire not knowing whether or not it was loaded. A few sessions with the 22 was all it took. The interchangeability of the TC's helped significantly as it was the same action, same trigger pull, barrel to barrel. Gil

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.