April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (KY Jon, Mike Harrell), 172 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,441
Posts544,760
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

I too can plainly see the crack on the Right side, but nothing on the Left.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It is pretty fascinating how entrance we all are by this (these) crack(s). I only see one and I see no sign that it goes into the checkering or even extends at past the edge of the panel. I sure hope someone here buys it so we can all find the truth about these mysterious things.

I'd be more interested in hearing from someone that has actually shot one of these. It looks like a heavy gun but one that might shoot very well indeed, if the fit is good for the shooter. I presume it was mostly a fowler or trap gun. Looks like there is at least a pound or two of excess wood.

Anyone have a guess what this gun might weigh?

Also, given that Jim Harrison (the name in gold on the trigger guard is not an immediately recognizable celebrity or historical figure, what does the name contribute to the overall value of the piece? I presume it is a negative, but how much?

Last edited by BrentD; 05/11/19 01:08 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think stock crack comments are interesting. If it were mine, I'd convince myself it was a-okay. But, if I were buying it, a crack or signs of repair would have to be worth significant adjustment.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How much adjustment? $100, $1000?

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun is one of 14 Crown grades manufactured in 1939. 339 12g Crowns had BTFE and 300 VR according to Dr. Jim's "L.C. Smith Production Records"

Crowns were popular doubles trap guns

Bart Lewis had the high average in 1922 and won the Grand American Doubles in 1926. He shot a Crown grade Double Barrel Trap with 32" Whitworth steel barrels, Hunter One-Trigger, and a straight grip stock.

Also using a Crown grade, C. W. Olney won the Dayton Grand Doubles and HAA title in 1925. The Hunter Arms records show the gun to have been on consignment to him for that summer.

Junior Champion John Snow Martin with what is probably a Crown
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/video...otage/502472065

Lots of information for the buyer should be available with a Research Letter from the LCSCA.

I believe there has been a previous repair of the right inf. finger of the head of the stock, and the quality thereof may complicate definitive repair now

Dewey Vicknair has one technique for repair of a crack at the apex of the stock inlet here
http://www.vicknairrestorations.com/Vicknair_Restorations___Gallery.html

almost all of which are associated with or originate with cracks at the head of the stock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD

I dislike wasting a seller's time. It would be up to them to give me some sign that they were interested enough for me to stick around for a bit. They know to their satisfaction what they have, it's not worth itemizing flaws, other than for myself.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When a buyer begins itemizing flaws and adjustments to price you know you have him. Then it's just a matter of closing the deal. JMHO...Geo

craigd #545719 05/11/19 04:20 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd

I dislike wasting a seller's time. It would be up to them to give me some sign that they were interested enough for me to stick around for a bit. They know to their satisfaction what they have, it's not worth itemizing flaws, other than for myself.

I am not asking how you would dicker with the seller, but simply, how much less would you be willing to pay? For me, assuming there is not already another repair (seems somewhat more likely than the mysterious left-side crack), this crack would probably barely scratch the top dollar I would be willing to pay. Maybe $100-200 at most.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew,
Call Dewey up and ask him about costs and a time table for getting a cracked LC Smith fixed.

Let us know how that goes for you.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd

I am not asking how you would dicker with the seller, but simply, how much less would you be willing to pay? For me, assuming there is not already another repair (seems somewhat more likely than the mysterious left-side crack), this crack would probably barely scratch the top dollar I would be willing to pay. Maybe $100-200 at most.

I think your question only works if it is for sale and a price is set. If it's a beater Smith on a used gun rack for three hundred dollars, would an identical crack have the same consideration process? I don't think such a small figure is worth mention, seeing where the bidding currently is at and where it may go.

I'd bet if a dealer wins this auction, then turns around and retails it at a hefty mark up, that might revise the value of the crack. It's all relative, based on the seller's optimism and the buyer's motivation. Most folks wouldn't 'discuss' an auction they were participating in until after it was over? I couldn't put a dollar figure on any bumps and worts until cash is actually changing hands.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.