April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (lagopus, jake van dyke, eeb, AaronN, 1 invisible), 236 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,442
Posts544,782
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe not to you, but Jim Harrison, late writer from MI--is a name I know. Once he got famous and wealthy- he hunted grouse and woodcock here in MI with a Purdey- Also, in his novella "Legends of the Fall" he describes bird hunting in MT with English Setters and a Purdey gun-- Don't know if he ever shot a Crown Grade Smith--

IMO-- 2 MI "native sons" had a mind and ear for the heartbeat of America- Jim Harrison, and Bob Seger-- When Jim was in Hollywood, trying to get established, and before he sold the movie rights to "Legends"-- he asked friend Jack Nicholson if he could borrow $15K--Jack came through- and as soon as Jim got the royalty check, he went to the bank and obtained a Cashier's Check for the amount plus interest, and hand delivered it to Jack- who later remarked- "Jim is the only up and coming writer who ever repaid me for a loan- He stands tall with me"_-

FWIW- a while ago, I sold a 12 3E Smith to a friend on this forum- it had been sent back to Fulton for the 2nd. set of barrels- 32" F&F- ventilated rib-- F&F chokes- Not crack one in the stock or forearm- my guess- it had not been shot very much at all-- 95% condition-- HOT and ejectors 100% in timing and function.

As I am NOT a live bird competitor, the lack of a top tang safety might be a bit of a drawback in possible purchase of this fine optioned "Elsie"-- Also, I wasn't aware that Dewey Vicknair would work on Smiths-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It would be cool if was the same guy, but you would think that would have been mentioned by the seller who is about as far from MI as one can get in WI.

I imagine the signature on the guard is copied directly from the owners signature. Should be easy to verify..

When I think of Michigan, Robert Traver is the first person that comes to my mind.

Last edited by BrentD; 05/11/19 08:33 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

craigd #545736 05/11/19 09:33 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Also, given that Jim Harrison (the name in gold on the trigger guard is not an immediately recognizable celebrity or historical figure, what does the name contribute to the overall value of the piece? I presume it is a negative, but how much?

Different folks may look at it differently but to me, a non-recognizable name properly applied would be a non-issue, neither adding nor distracting from the price.

I have a Ca 1863/65 W&C Scott pinfire which is marked on the top rib For Benj D Kennedy, Louisville KY. The gentleman I bought it from was from Louisville & he tried to find anything he could about Mr Kennedy. All he could find was he had neither a birth nor death certificate related to Louisville, but during the period the gun would have ben built he had a business license for a Jewelry Store there. To me, this was interesting but did not affect the $ I was willing to pay in either direction.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David Williamson
Keith I have a 21" monitor, the left side at the end of the side plate is 4 7/8" wide. Hitting Ctrl + 5 times makes the image now 7 7/8" wide making it about 3x larger than on the actual gun. My vision isn't as good as yours but with glasses made for computer work having 3 different options I see nothing. I don't care how good the resolution on your phone is it is only as good as the resolution it was posted at.

I am not staring a shxt storm out of this. Just saying that nothing is there.

That's OK David. I can see the very small cracks on the left side, and you can't see them. It's understandable, as they are very small and tight at this point. I'd say the right side pic is somewhat clearer and has less lighting glare, since I can see individual pores in the wood easier on the right versus the left. The upper crack on the left is about the size of the diameter of the rearmost pin, and the lower one is about 2 1/2 times that in length.

Ted and 775 saw them as well, so I'm not the only one with a wild imagination. It could even have something to do with color perception. Lots of people here have trouble seeing certain things. For instance, King Brown has stated numerous times that he has never seen any anti-gun rhetoric posted here in all his years on this forum:

Originally Posted By: ed good
as for the gun control issue...we are the only country in the world that seems to tolerate mass murder, in the name of an individual right...its about time that we as a society realize that we are over gunned with too many super dangerous weapons in the hands of too many super dangerous people... it is long past time to do as the rest of the civilized world has done and simply, disarm...

Vision and perception can be funny like that. I don't even have to enlarge that post from Ed to see it. Hell, BrentD can see my posts, even though he says he IGNORES them. How's that for Super Vision?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yessiree- "Danny and The Boys" is a favorite read of mine- Old Cabin Still whiskey, fine cane fly rods, and a daily cribbage game at an area tavern in Ishpeming-- Great writer indeed- Sorry I didn't include him with Jim Harrison, both greats, wrote in differing genres is all. RWTF

keith #545750 05/12/19 08:48 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed Good is correct in his opinion of too many guns and depriving firearms from people who shouldn't have them as a solution: "we are the only country in the world that seems to tolerate mass murder, in the name of an individual right . . .it's about time we as a society realize we are over gunned with too many super dangerous weapons in the hands of too many super dangerous people." US gun violence is a head-shaker to the world. For Ed to say it doesn't make him anti-gun. He's declaring a public interest: what people would choose if they saw clearly, thought rationally and acted disinterestedly.

King Brown #545763 05/12/19 10:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
Ed Good is correct in his opinion of too many guns and depriving firearms from people who shouldn't have them....

....US gun violence is a head-shaker to the world. For Ed to say it doesn't make him anti-gun. He's declaring a public interest: what people would choose if they saw clearly, thought rationally and acted disinterestedly.

Could it be that ed and yourself live in a world of elites and criminals? Maybe, those who act objectively, rationally, and clearly are the law abiding overwhelming majority, not the handful of philosophers? The question might be, why trust a philosopher, eh?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Why not trust a philosopher? Are you saying philosophers are criminals? How does that work?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

King Brown #545766 05/12/19 10:45 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Depriving firearms and or access to them- from people who shouldn't have them?"" Bases on what criteria, oh mighty King.?

Maybe we borrow a page from World history and do as Der Fuhrer did once he bullied his way into leading Dem Deutsche Volk 1933-

Our Second Amendment does not determine what constitutes a "Well Armed Militia" nor could our Founding Fathers know what an AK-47 was in that 200 year ago era-- any more than they could have visualized a space shuttle or HIV or heavy metal rock music.

You live in Country with a different history than we have in America. When we visit one of the provinces to hunt, we comply with your laws about transporting our firearms into Canada- we comply or are denied access- fair enough- now how about letting America resolve the gun issues to which you refer on this forum?

RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

What Ed said and I believe is "philosophy" to craig, Fox. Clearly it's not for you and me. We agree we are citizens of different cultures because of differences in our national development. We agree the Second is an enduring US debate.

I admire the United States and have said here many times that the US usually gets it right over time. Your word "resolve"---to dissolve or dissipate---the gun rights issue points toward agreement of Reason prevailing.

Rehabilitation in everything involves an honest assessment of reality, whether we're putting in a crop, seeing the banker, or meeting the expectations of community and family around us. Philosophy doesn't enter into it.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.