May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (skeettx, Roundsworth, 2 invisible), 409 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,625
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew,
Call Dewey up and ask him about costs and a time table for getting a cracked LC Smith fixed.
Let us know how that goes for you.

I don't understand your point Ted.
I have communicated with Dewey, have great respect for his skills and opinions, am not blind to the design defects of Smith guns, and have posted images confirming one of the defects. I've also had cracked Smiths (and Parker, Fox & Ithaca) fixed.
I happen to like them, use them (both are 1906 "farm implement" grades), enjoy historical information about them and the shooters who competed with them, but don't believe I have been an apologist for them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My point was pretty simple. You referenced a superb gunsmith in a post about a design of gun he refuses to work on anymore. Seems a bit disingenuous to me.

The list of superb gunsmiths who feel the same is growing longer, not shorter.

Out here in Realville, I know way more people who have washed their hands of that design, some with a really bad taste in their mouth, then you see here. The overt gushing about the quality of these superb American shotguns is a little weird.

Beauty might only be skin deep, but ugly goes all the way down to the substandard braze between the ribs, and the lousy work in the bores. It is not uncommon.

Best,
Ted

King Brown #545774 05/12/19 12:23 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
....Rehabilitation in everything involves an honest assessment of reality, whether we're putting in a crop, seeing the banker, or meeting the expectations of community and family around us. Philosophy doesn't enter into it.

Huh? There was a time when crops were put in to feed people, now that is being outsourced. Why does your community expect farmers to grow pot and hallucinogenic mushrooms? Is it to enhance beliefs or to conceal illegal drug trafficking in plain sight?

Rehabilitation in everything might be a problem, eh? Why do philosophers always want to create the need to rehabilitate? King, what do you think would happen if philosophy 101 were moved out of the latte and tofu lecture hall, to weekend camping trips at the community parks of the south side of chicago? I'm sorry that was culturally insensitive, let's say neighbourhoods of colour in toronto?

Sidelock
Sidelock

"The list of superb gunsmiths who feel the same is growing longer, not shorter. "

Ted, first you have to define the word superb gunsmith. There are many so called superb gunsmiths that take an L.C. Smith apart and cannot get it back together. This is especially true on a gun with a Hunter One Trigger. They take the gun in and then can't fix it. Many that have had this happen will not say anything about them because they are "gentlemen".
So yes the list might be getter smaller, but the ones that still do it DO IT RIGHT.

Another thing for you and others, I have never seen a Syracuse L.C. Smith with a crack behind the locks, that includes hammer guns. The early pre-1912 Smith's you seldom see a crack there, only on the later grades, my reasoning is that the wood is second growth and my opinion again, American walnut is not for side lock guns not dense enough.
Most European side locks only use maybe 1 1/16 oz. of shot and aren't used as nearly as much as our guns. There are some Smith guns that have been shot over 100,00 times and still no problems.

You can shoot what ever you like, that is fine with me but sometimes you and others get too opiniated.

Re-read your post again Ted, L.C. Smith made a total of 528,980 shotguns, besides this one how many other have you heard blow apart from a manufacturers fault?

Last edited by David Williamson; 05/12/19 09:00 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

King, I didn't edit out Ed's words where he said it was time for us to disarm. But you did. Why did you leave out the juicy part?

Originally Posted By: ed good
... it is long past time to do as the rest of the civilized world has done and simply, disarm...

It has long been illegal for "super-dangerous" criminals to own guns and use them to commit violent crimes. There is no tolerance for that sort of thing here, nor is there a tolerance for mass murder.... except from Liberal Left Democrats who wish to restore to convicted felons the right to vote. I'll bet you are all in favor of that.

Ed has also called for blanket bans on an entire class of legal firearms, and you have seen that too, because I have re-posted his QUOTES on that a multitude of times. Ditto for Ed's calls to restrict and ban certain magazines which he (and you) finds unacceptable.

if society, via our law makers, deem it necessary to restrict or prohibit our possession of certain classes of arms, then every good citizen should obey the law for the good of the majority.

and if some here wish to discuss further restriction and prohibition of certain classes of arms here, then why not?

And look King... here's Ed once again... using just the words you chose to edit out:

guess no body here has the balls to answer my question:

disarm...seems to work for the rest of the civilized world...

why not us?

But like you King, Ed has a long history of being in denial about the 2nd Amendment:

next question:

does the second amendment prohibit state and local governments from regulating the keeping of arms by the people?

i believe it does not...what say you?

There's lots more here for anyone who might actually still believe you are capable of telling the truth:

ANTI-GUN POSTS by ED GOOD

Your claim to have never seen any anti-gun sentiment in all your years here is not just a matter of being unable to see them, as some have been unable to discern tiny cracks. Your claim is dishonest... and it took creative editing on your part to attempt to get us to simply forget the most important part of the QUOTE I posted as an example of Ed's anti-gun sentiment and beliefs. Is that how you operated as a reporter?

Dishonesty is not civility. But this latest "craft of journalism" and dishonest spin will certainly help to cement your legacy here as an anti-2nd Amendment Troll.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David Williamson
"The list of superb gunsmiths who feel the same is growing longer, not shorter. "

Ted, first you have to define the word superb gunsmith.

David,
“Superb Gunsmith” is actually two words.

Well, I’ve seen English guns that were used, hard, and American guns that were as well. I suspect a blanket statement, like, “Ours were used harder than theirs” might not withstand the smell test.

Remember the Purdey hammer gun in DGJ a few years ago, that had not only the checkering worn smooth, but, about 1/8th” of wood worn down on the forend, from use market hunting?

A blow up is rare enough, Thank God, in any shotgun, but, cracked stocks on L C Smith’s are not.

What you have seen does not match what I have seen. You may persist in claiming there is a magic number at which a cracked stock never appears on these shotguns.

I don’t.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

While LC cracks behind the locks are obvious, every Parker I have taken apart has been slit vertically at least back to the top tang screw hole. Only one Fox with an original stock wasn't split the same way was a Savage gun that had the metal reinforcement applied at the factory to stop it from splitting. Any gun with loose screws or abused by use of heavy loads can and will crack any stock. You just see LC cracks easier. Low demand for Smith guns is OK with me as it means lower prices for a gun I happen to like. Chevy vs. Ford. Honda vs. Toyota to each his own.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually more like exploding Pinto, aluminum block Vega, non independent transaxle Corvair, versus something else.
There are products long on promise, and short on delivery. If you clearly understand what you are getting into, good for you.

Best,
Ted

keith #545798 05/12/19 08:56 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Context, context, dear keith. Your post:

"Originally Posted By: ed good
as for the gun control issue...we are the only country in the world that seems to tolerate mass murder, in the name of an individual right...its about time that we as a society realize that we are over gunned with too many super dangerous weapons in the hands of too many super dangerous people... it is long past time to do as the rest of the civilized world has done and simply, disarm..."

The rest of the world has disarmed from a Wild West characterized by United States gun violence. "Disarm" doesn't mean total ban on firearms, mostly a balance for reasonable public safety decided democratically by electorates which Ed correctly referred to. It's near top of media platforms in Canada and the US this weekend, trending seemingly toward gun reform.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First, the United States of America is not a Democracy, it is a Republic. It is overseen by a constitution. This is the 2nd amendment to that constitution which was added before the constitution itself was ratified as were all the first ten amendments.

Quote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Changes to this cannot be made by a simple majority vote of the People or their elected representatives, it requires a new amendment be done. This amendment is plainly written & straight forward, there is no logical reason anyone should misunderstand it. The "People" are the citizens of the USA. Their Right to "Keep & Bear Arms" Shall Not Be Infringed.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.