May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (graybeardtmm3, Ken Nelson, Argo44, Krag 1902, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 710 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,601
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not at all- whenever Mae and I are in FL--Venice-- we go out to eat frequently at area Italian restaurants-- My favorite is Benny's Ba-Da-Bing- on the Tamimiami (sic) Trail, the main drag going from Nakomis down to Ft. Meyers-and through the center of Venice and the Circus Bridge-- Benny and his family migrated down from Little Italy-- and I feel at home there- lotsa fotos of a former USMC Commandant on the walls- and Gino- the manager (and Benny's eldest son) and I are goombahs-- Now that I see you are from Philly and "Joisey"- I got it- Just didn't think of any major Italian area in KY--Love the culture--and the food-- So, goombah, no apology needed.. Holt's-- a Limey op.?? Wow-- I buy a Purdey hammergun, and pay an additional 25%, plus VAT (69?)-- and insured shipping- Mama Mia-- Not my style--

Most but not all of my 12 gauge L.C. Smiths I bought from Brad B- over the past 20 years-- Now-a-Days- I'm out of the market, but still like to stay up with current pricing-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

No VAT on guns being exported from the UK. You have to look at the whole picture. A client/friend had been looking for a nice sidelock for sometime and was not happy with any of the offers on the US retail market. He spent quite a bit of time looking and had a fair amount of frustration along the way. At the last Sept. Holt's auction I noticed what looked to be a high condition, cased Alex. Martin sidelock and the estimate was quite low. Diggory inspected the gun and a bid was placed toward the high end of the Estimate. My client/friend won the auction for less than his bid and when all was said and done he is now the proud owner of a superb British sidelock for under 5K, far less than US retail. There are deals over seas but one must be a shrewd shopper and be able to adapt to the ever changing market.

Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

My friend just bought an "As New" Purdey 20 bore, two sets of barrels, made in the 90's for 45K at the Southern.
It is a fantastic gun and I felt it was a deal.

Mike Proctor
JHJ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PALUNC
My friend just bought an "As New" Purdey 20 bore, two sets of barrels, made in the 90's for 45K at the Southern.
It is a fantastic gun and I felt it was a deal.
Assuming nothing wrong, that is spectacular depreciation!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think he is missing a main point. Very, very few people can afford a $200,000 shotgun. I don’t care how wonderful it is, unless I win the lottery, I will never be able to purchase a new Purdey, Holland, Boss. However, I am thrilled the market is depressed for fine used doubles. While I will never be able to afford a new Holland, I can afford to buy a used one, especially if I buy at auction in the US. Even with the buyer’s premium, there are excellent deals to be had if one looks hard enough and has cash on hand. Why should I care about the growing gap between a new and used Boss? I don’t. If anything, I hope it widens and makes more used fine doubles available at the lowest price possible.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.