May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (L. Brown, Hal M Hare, LRF, Ted Schefelbein), 785 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,638
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#546737 05/26/19 05:53 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It was in the upper 90s everyday last week, and today has gotten off to a "good" start at a blazing' 101. Supposed to be 100 or more for the next several days. This means lots of irrigating corn, to keep it from wilting and going back in this intense heat. Son and I had several systems running yesterday, but one was causing some issues. That particular one draws water out of Brier Creek at 1000 gpm via a diesel powered centrifugal pump. The 8" diameter suction pipe has a "river screen" on the bottom end, which is a floating, rotating rotary screen that prevents debris form being sucked into the suction pipe. It needed some maintenance, which requires the use of a small jon boat to access it. We keep the boat at the creek bank, turned upside down, in case it rains.

Nobody with any savvy puts his hand under the edge of an upside boat, on the bank, to right it. That cool, shady place is a favorite place for cottonmouths, and an occasional canebrake rattler, to "lay up". I carry a long handled grubbing hoe in the back of the truck for many things, and turning a boat over is one reason that is high on my list. I can ill afford a hospital stay this time of the year due to stupidity. I have warned my son, grandson, and full time man to never put their hands under a boat.

Yesterday afternoon we were to meet up there about 4 pm to work on the river screen. I arrived first, looked around carefully for snakes, then pulled a double .410 out of it's case in the back seat. It rides with me this time of the year, loaded with 9s, just for close encounters of the reptilian kind. I took the grubbing hoe, reached over to the opposite side of the boat and pulled it over towards me, righting it. There lay a big ol' pile of cottonmouth, apparently so comfortable with his spot that he didn't even move. Reaching into the back seat I pulled out the much maligned Yildiz .410. Poor thing ............... he lost his head when he saw it.

As I have said before ................great patterns.

BIG cottonmouth. As thick as my forearm, and roughly four feet in length. If I had seen him crossing the road a mile away from our pump station I'd have let him go. But, we sometimes have to attend to these pumps at night, and I just couldn't let this 'un by.

Y'all watch where you put your hands and feet, ya' hear?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was riding the roads in a turkey woods today and at about 10 a.m., saw small gators in the road and three widely separated gopher tortoises moseying down the road. Gotta be mating season for them to be on the prowl in this wx. I'd have done the same, Stan. Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking for 'shrooms?

SRH

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just showing a friend the woods. If we had some rain, the chanterelles would flush. They are usually early June, but we are in August weather wise. Gil

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Still getting snow as of this week. Picked up about a foot total between Monday and Thursday. The Sun came out Friday and now it is all gone. Could get more next week. Typical May weather here.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Snow!!!??? eek

Dang! We'll be eating roastin' ears by the time it warms up there. What elevation are you?

SRH

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

8200 ft here at my house. The only two months I have not seen it snow here are July and August. This Spring has been colder and wetter than normal. Snow pack in Colorado is running right about 250% of the median this year. Odd year for sure.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

8200 ft. That explains a lot.

I'm at 200 ft.+. I think. I dunno, it's just hot!

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 05/26/19 07:03 PM.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
8200 ft here at my house. The only two months I have not seen it snow here are July and August. This Spring has been colder and wetter than normal. Snow pack in Colorado is running right about 250% of the median this year. Odd year for sure.

Wetter and cooler here in the north woods of the Upper Midwest as well. And it wasn't like we needed a lot of rain. Snow melt has left pools of water scattered around in the woods. Ought to be a great year for mosquitoes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those make the prettiest belts and gun slings. Fishing on the Suwannee in the morning was great fish and cool breeze. Yesterday evening on the Withlacoochee not so much and hot. Waiting on the shrooms to pop up too

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.