May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
11 members (Guy Ave, CJ Dawe, battle, Hammergun, Argo44, 2 invisible), 1,108 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,503
Posts545,528
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Stan,
Read the reviews from the MidwayUSA link on the CCI HV .22 Short Hollow Points I posted earlier. They reflect my experiences controlling squirrels in my yard that trash it with green pine cone litter.

Try it on bullfrogs. You will be impressed.
JR

I'd like to, but do not have a scoped bolt action .22. Queen used to do the shooting, and she always used her Nylon 66 Apache Black. It won't cycle shorts. She once went 13 for 14 with that Remmie. Pretty good for night shooting', even if it was a woman. wink

Maybe I need a dedicated frog .22 that will run shorts, eh?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Stan a frog's nervous system will keep them moving long after death. Ever notice how the legs kick when they hit the grease?

Yeah, they do. But, I've found that they don't kick around on the bank after being hit with a HP. They do when you use a solid.

Anyway ..... SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

CCI Mini Mag hps...been shooting them in my Kimber and I've shot them in my Winchester model 75 sporter since they came out.

Really no need for anything else.

Shoot squirrels in the head and frogs in the back...

Real frog men just grab them....from what I've saw of the northern squirrels one could almost grab them if you kept a peanut in one hand..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not such a great idea- squirrel grabbin' Back when I was about 10, my best friend chased a fox squirrel across the yard, and the rodent headed for a window well-ground level of a neighbor's house (built 1928)-- When Dave reached his hand in there to grab the tree rat- it bit him on the thumb-and he had to go through 16 days of Hell- stomach area injections to prevent rabies- he survived- but by a hair's breath-- Don't screw with any rodent or varmint that carries rabies--ever!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never been a documented case of transmission of rabies from squirrels to humans:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies_transmission

http://www.squirrelnutrition.com/blog/do-squirrel-carry-rabies

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

There's a whole lot of wheel-reinvention and making do with as little as possible that is going on out there. The serious squirrel hunters that I know have nearly all gravitated to the extremely accurate sub-sonic hollow points, Eley, SK, and the like. Nuf sed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ithaca5E
...The serious squirrel hunters that I know have nearly all gravitated to the extremely accurate sub-sonic hollow points, Eley, SK, and the like. Nuf sed.

Yup. Eley subsonic. HPs are far superior to any thing made by or made from CCI, Winchester, Remington, etc. Not even close. But they do cost.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2-piper Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"Serious" can have totally different meanings to different people. When I was doing my squirrel hunting I considered myself somewhat Serious.
I used ordinary .22 LR standard velocity Solid Points. I never found them lacking in either killing power or practical accuracy.

Serious to me was bringing in the number of squirrels I killed with the least expenditure of shots fired. If I do say so myself I ran a very good average of the ratio of shots per squirrel.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think, the only way to tell the difference between rimfire ammo is to test at a range with good technique. What distance are we thinking that the typical squirrel is taken, fifty feet give or take? Double that isn't really a far shot. If match ammo picks up a tenth or two of an inch in group size on paper targets, is that translating to the field?

Just have to try them out and see what works. Volume should matter too. One box of Lapuas for a season, or is the box gone in the first fifteen minutes. I like the good stuff, but save it for where I can tell the difference.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe, Teddy- but this was in 1953-1954-- parents were scared stiff about polio, and when David's folks took him to the hospital, they didn't take any chances- as the squirrel apparently "hauled-ass" after he bit my buddy, no way to autopsy the head, as they do with dog bites, so they did the preventative measures-- and David survived-- Going out like the late Alphonse Capone did- from "the sift"- and going out from rabies, both very painful ways to die-- Myself-- when I have a squirrel dropped on the ground from a tree shot with a .22 CCI- HP Mini-Mag, before I pick it up and drop it in the game bag, I whack it hard with a stick- if it moves or even flinches, it gets another Mini-Mag in the ear-- ammo is cheap-- dying from rabies ain't an option.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.