May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Roundsworth), 776 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,852
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#5498 10/17/06 07:42 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Franc, at least according to my Belgian date code info, Liege did not start using them until 1922, so there won't be very many of the pre-proof change guns--the ones with the gauge over C in a diamond--that carry a date code.

#5499 10/17/06 08:34 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The ML with the crown is the maker's mark.
From my information:

MANUFACTURE LIEGEOISE D’ARMES À FEU
Rue du Vertbois, 54 à LIEGE
1866-1929

The ECM3 is the 4th proof test. They are testing with smokeless powder, unlike the first 3 tests. There were a number of smokeless powders available on the Belgian market. One of them was M. Some others included L, T, S, etc. Later this powder designation was dropped because of the confusion it caused with hunters. There was also a so-called 5th proof test for a period of time.

Who determined the type (maker) of the powder is unclear. It could have been the Controller of Proof (inspector) or the gun's maker.

The proof pressures would have been around 14,000 psi for a 12 gauge.

A really nice gun at a great price!

Pete

#5500 10/17/06 10:20 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great find!
Good sample of the pre-war Belgian real pegion gun. Gun is pretty heavy and chambers are 70 mm and it was only on pegion guns at the era.

Geno.
#5501 10/17/06 12:59 PM
james-l Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Geno, your thought makes sense as I wondered about the lenghty inscription on the rib; Manufacture Liegeoise D'Armes A Feu Liege Fondee 1866. Grand Prix Paris 1900. in a separate panel near the breech; Acier Universel. Possible that Grand Prix Paris 1900 was a live pigeon shoot won with a gun made by ML? Jim

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

#5502 10/17/06 02:05 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe they are talking about the 1900 Olympics held in Paris. There was also a Grand Prix race that year. A live pigeon shoot was one of the events. International Clay Pigeon was also introduced that year. Though they could well have been a shooting event attached to the Grand Prix. Eley marketed a line of shotgun shells as the Grand Prix during this period.

It was not uncommon for gun makers to continuously thump their chest after winning an international competition. This often went on for decades. They either won a shoot or were given a prize.

I believe Geno is correct, this was most likely built as a pigeon gun. Which would have been near the top of the market at that time in competition guns. The firm simply did not survive the depression.

Pete

#5503 10/17/06 02:26 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

James: A nice gun is a nice gun, unless you got it for a real bargain ... then it's a GREAT gun. You mentioned how the stock extension had been really botched. It's a bit hard to tell from the photo, but it doesn't look all that bad to me. I was once told by someone whose expertise I trusted that there was a time in Europe when they didn't go to great lengths to make wooden butt extensions invisible ... that the market didn't really mind. That said, some cosmetic surgery could make the old girl's butt look very fine indeed! Congrats. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
#5504 10/17/06 05:07 PM
james-l Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

TT, actually the butt job was not as bad as I implied, It's just that whoever did it failed to follow the stock line around the sides of the toe area. The dark marking on the 1" extension was fairly well done on a very plain peice of wood that is colored to a good match. The real problem is that the wood with the extension is only 13 7/8, it had a 1" whiteline pad on it that had to go. I am considering a leather coverd pad with a 1/4 spacer or maybe a 1 1/2 Silvers. It is going to sit awhile as I have several other projects in the works right now. Jim

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

#5505 10/17/06 08:57 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice.The stock looks like it was shortened at one time and the original piece put back, what do you think?
Take Care Pedler

#5506 10/17/06 09:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oops
Did not read second page.
Pedler

james-l #37006 04/23/07 01:28 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny you should address your question "JABC, I hope not"...because in fact 99% of all JABC's were produced in or around the Henri Pieper factory, the second largest producer of Belgian firearms. First being FN, and third being Manufacture Liegeoise (ML). ML produced the reciever forgings for 95% of every high grade SxS to have ever been produced in Belgium. Receiver forgings and parts where provided to near every finishing house, Francotte and Lebeau included. ML also produced receivers and part forgings for finishing houses and artisans in Spain, France, and Italy. Rumor has it, that shortly after WWII, Bernadelli bought ML's trip hammers and dies.... ML, like Etab. Pieper, was at the heart of the cottage arms trade that flourished in and around Liege. Unlike Peiper, ML was a public company, like FN (Fabrique National). ML was such a large producer, that they were able to similtaneously produce different lines of SxS's, in order to respond to different fashions in different countries. For example, guns made for export to Italy were often available with a forth fasteners and in higher grades than offered in other countries in that same year. In trying to put ML into perspective, I would guess their SxS production totals would probably exeed that of L C Smith, Parker, and Lefever put together. Not including all the rough forgings they provided to artisans all across Europe. The fact that it's marked ML, gives it sufficient pedigree to prove that it's not even a healthy cousin of all those JABC's, that all got their start in life at Pieper.
I can't see the images so late in this posting, but if you would like more info on your shotgun, you can repost the images, and I will try to post corresponding catalog images and related data.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.