May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (WBLDon, Mike Harrell), 890 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,850
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, the Pieper produced guns are all junk. What ever you do, do not buy one! The second largest producer was at the heart of the cottage arms trade?

28 Gauge

10 Gauge

12 Gauge

Pete

PeteM #37015 04/23/07 07:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

You are correct, did you notice that I didn't say 100%...whenever Pieper affixed their name, it would seem that you have something good...are you denying that Pieper made all those Belgian W. Richards, T Barkers, J Mantons, or EVERY other JABC that you have EVER seen? I didn't think so...Except for the ocassional S J & D, the firm of Etablishments Pieper is responsable for all JABC...Now I do like Pieper marked guns, but all those un-heat-treated POS's that Pieper FLOODED the American market with, have given Pieper a bad reputation that they will never out grow among double collectors. The same goes for SJ&D, even though Dumoulin and Jennsen ocassionaly made top grade doubles. I've not seen a Simonis marked double yet, but I would guess they're a quality made item. Besides, didn't SJ&D get the bulk of their recievers from Pieper. Unlike Masquelier, Saive, Bodson, Thirifays, Francotte, Theatre, ML, Scholberg, Deforney, and Breakers, even if you have a good Pieper, how many collectors are clamoring to buy them? Go to La Maisson and see how many Piepers they are selling (none). Notice how 3 out of 4 of what is listed, is Artisinal Liegeoise (ML). There are many exceptions to what I'm saying here, none of which absolves Pieper of the many thousands of un heat treated junkers that Pieper routinely turned out. In fact the thinking is so widespread, rarely will you find Pieper in any price value guides, most Piepers are so soft that most collectors don't even consider them real firearms. 400 rounds into the life of the gun, those Richards (by Pieper)are so loose, that you can keep the gun straight ahead, and if the rabbit flushes left, you need only wiggle the bbls to the left...95% of all Piepers are junk, and you know it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, that's correct, Pieper and ML where the heart of the Liege cottage trade. Who else was mass producing SxS receives in Liege? Rarely did FN participate in the cottage trade. Do you have evidence of otherwise? If so, this is exactly the place to further everyones collective understanding of the Liege gun trade. In fact I would be suprized to find out that Pieper didn't make the receivers for a lot of the junkers that are often found with Birmingham proofs as well.

Last edited by Robert Chambers; 04/23/07 07:58 AM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.