April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wild Skies, ithaca1, eeb), 1,041 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mc, that would have been my guess, but it would have been just a guess. ‘ Hoping someone closer to the Birmingham quarter might know for sure..

Sidelock
Sidelock

The polisher for my Greener was a man named, Jones for 6 shilling. There was also a "smoother". I was thinking the polisher was a metals guy and the smoother was a wood guy, but I don't know for sure. Interesting, at least to me, was that there were 3 engravers for the gun. Stokes, Horrocks, and Perry did the labels, scroll, and field figures, respectively. Perhaps 3 engravers was a norm, but I would have thought 2 was a lot.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

One guy letters, one game scenes,one guy scrolls .some company's had individual pieces ,bottom metal,trigger plate, action body lettering,and game scenes so they could get work out really quick.

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Isn't st ledger a polisher finisher?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, your Mr. Jones is likely the Jones whose sign in pictured next to Lewis in previous text. Greener was their neighbor. I'll have to dig out my Greener file. As I recall the factory letter on my Monarch Imperial listed several engravers and other finishers who worked on the gun.
A bit later I looked at my factory letter and see---
Smoother-Watson
Polisher-Jones [paid 12 shillings]
Action filer-Camm [paid 50 shillings]
Name engraver - Stokes [paid 4 shillings]
Game and scroll engraving-Perry [paid 50 shillings]
Barrel blacker-Fletcher
There are six other workers listed for the gun, also

It took 20 shillings to make a pound.
This work was done in 1900.

Here is what Camm, Stokes , and Perry worked on. Mr. Jones, the polisher, would have had a relatively tough job on this one.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 02/23/24 12:00 PM.
2 members like this: Hammergun, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by mc
One guy letters, one game scenes,one guy scrolls .some company's had individual pieces ,bottom metal,trigger plate, action body lettering,and game scenes so they could get work out really quick.

It makes sense I suppose, but it still surprised me. It took 10 months to make the gun, if I recall correctly.

I got the impression that Greener had a group of shops and each one completed guns from start to finish as somewhat independent manufacture and assembly lines.

_________

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Engraved guns done by out workers had to be turned around very quickly in days not weeks or months.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by mc
Engraved guns done by out workers had to be turned around very quickly in days not weeks or months.

In the case of Greener, I don't think the engravers, at least not all of them, were out-house work. That they knew the names of the men, not shops, that did each type of engraving suggests to me that they were in house.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mc, I remember a story of John Dickson sending a gun down on the train to Sumner. It was sent on a Thursday or so and they were asked to get it back early in the next week. I'm sure that various parts of the gun went to several people.

1 member likes this: mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, in the case of outworker or employee, maybe the factory letters from Greener supply clues.

For some tasks, a specific cost was noted, while other tasks did not show a cost. We see Mr. Jones had a business sign and his name in the factory letters was accompanied by a cost. I would guess the names with costs might be outworkers. Or maybe the employment agreement was based on piecework.

The rather complicated Monarch Imperial shown above was ordered on April 23 and finished on July 17, not quite three months.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 02/23/24 12:17 PM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.