April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (earlyriser, SKB), 177 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,431
Posts544,705
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've always wanted a 16ga, either an auto-5 or a SxS.

So I just won this thing. Probably paid a little too much... https://www.gunbroker.com/item/815691297 (edit: there, that's the right link!)

I guess I'll have to ream the shotgun chambers to 70mm, but that's no problem. I don't have the ream itself, but I have everything else I'd need to do that, and I figure I could probably sell the ream to the next guy for 80% and not be out of too much.

As for the rifle, what do you suppose is the cheapest way to load for it? The S&B 8.57JR is out of stock everywhere I've checked, so it looks like I'll be getting some brass and dies and rolling my own.

I figure I can just use 8x57JRS brass, even though it's .323 (or something) instead of .318. To me, that means the cases are basically identical other than the headstamp, unless I am confused.

As for bullets, the .318 offerings are really expensive and not available in much variety. I figured I might get a custom swage die (I think the Lees are fairly inexpensive) and push .32WS bullets through it. Or I could try paper-patching .308 bullets, although I've read that's pretty hard on the rifling.

Another advantage to the swage die is that I could swage non-jacketed .32 ACP bullets (or a 00 buckshot pellet) too, and work up a small game / plinker load, assuming I could get it to shoot anywhere near the point of impact of the full power stuff.

What are yourall's opinions of the gun, and ideas on the above? Did I pay too much? I've never heard of the maker, but it looks well made.....

There are a couple cracks in the wrist, but I think I can fix that (at least insofar as stopping them from spreading, assuming someone hasn't already glued them and pinned them from the other side).

One thing I am really hmm-hawing about is, I'd like to use a red dot sight on it for hunting, so I'll have to have someone tap a couple of blind holes in the rib so I can put a small section of weaver rail on it. Which I hate to do, but I'd rather do it to this one than to my Hollenbeck. Although I do see what appears to be a grub screw of some sort in front of the rear sight, so maybe that can present a mounting option, if I can figure out how to keep it stable with only one screw.

I think I ought to figure out how rare/collectible this gun is before I do that (or ream the shotgun chambers), though. Any ideas?

Thanks, gentlemen. I appreciate your advice and opinions.

Last edited by Mr. Polecat; 06/09/19 09:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mr. Polecat

.....I guess I'll have to ream the shotgun chambers to 76mm, but that's no problem. I don't have the ream itself, but I have everything else I'd need to do that, and I figure I could probably sell the ream to the next guy for 80% and not be out of too much......

Forget the reamer & order from Polywad, RST or similar. It will last you a lifetime.

Yeah, roll your own. 0.318" - 0.321" bullet are plentiful just determine which your solid projectile tube fancies most.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I typoed 76mm instead of 70mm! Sorry! It's currently 2 9/16, and I only intend to ream to 2 3/4. I don't think there's even any such thing as a 3" 16ga! Haha.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like I see a Sauer & Sohn stamp or two, so they either applied some effort on the Blitz lock dreiling or were sourced from components. Also the tubes were sourced from Carl Gottieb Hänel or one of its subcontractors, Gebhard Helmuthhauser / Gebhard Helmuthäuser.

13 gramme / 200 grain bullets are quite easy to source. The 13 gramme bullet & 88-8 point to the smaller diameter on the 8X57R/360?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I typoed 76mm instead of 70mm! Sorry! It's currently 2 9/16, and I only intend to ream to 2 3/4. I don't think there's even any such thing as a 3" 16ga! Haha.

I think there is or was but I'd hold w/ the 65mm and have less recoil, although in a dreiling it might be quite as >>felt<< as w/ a double.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr

.....I guess I'll have to ream the shotgun chambers to 70mm, but that's no problem. I don't have the ream itself, but I have everything else I'd need to do that, and I figure I could probably sell the ream to the next guy for 80% and not be out of too much......

Forget the reamer & order from Polywad, RST or similar. It will last you a lifetime.

Yeah, roll your own. 0.318" - 0.321" bullet are plentiful just determine which your solid projectile tube fancies most.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

I was looking at just getting 16ga hulls and trimming to 2 9/16. But I don't think my load-all will do that length (or 2.5" either). So it seems like kind of a toss-up, between the cost of a reamer (which I could recoup much of I think) or the cost of a whole new shotgun press (rather than just a 16ga conversion kit).

I guess that's kind of silly of me, considering what I paid for the gun, but a penny saved and all that. Heh.

Does your advice stem from a desire to not alter the gun, or just from an ease-of-doing thing?

Thanks!

Last edited by Mr. Polecat; 06/09/19 09:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

.....Does your advice stem from a desire to not alter the gun, or just from an ease-of-doing thing?.....

Duel purpose statement as not to alter & ease-of-operation as that was the way it was designed. But in the end the chambers might be a little long & 2.5mm isn't a big jump.

I think you got a great deal if the tubes are clean & the triggerplate action w/ Blitz locks functions well.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Cheers,

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, and a date: post 1912 & pre-1923 from the images I see. Only issue I see is that the head of the stock has cracked but has been pinned.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Axel has a dissertation on the 8x57IR and this may be a portion of it:

"Apparently the changeover was completed 1926. Jon Speed's book "Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles", page 274, shows a table of cartridge dimensions agreed upon July 23, 1926 by the German arms and ammo manufacturers association. It shows new//old designations: 8x57IR // M88/8 mit Rand or M88B, 8x57I // M88N, 8x51 // M88/8 kurz or H, 8x57IS // M88/8S.
The German M1888 cartridge was loaded with a .318" 14.7gramme = 227grs (roughly 15gramme)round nose bullet. This was the standard/only hunting load up to WW1. The military S cartridge used a .323" 10g = 154gr pointed bullet that never became popular as a sporting load. In WW1 the German army changed to the sS = heavy pointed bullet for machine gun use, bullet weight 12,7g =196gr. This became the standard weight for both the I and S bores close to WW2. Up until after WW2 the I = .318" bullet was regarded as the sporting type, while the S-bore was the "military" one, used on Sporting rifles mostly for the "Magnum" loads to relieve pressures. Only the 1940 proof law introduced min-max dimensions and the strict differentiating between I and S bores. So take any rifle proofed for a 15gramme bullet to be an I bore. "

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=300554&page=1

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

You know, I don't think you have the 8X57IR but the 8X57R/360, which I'm currently loading.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.