April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (dogon, JBG, ClapperZapper, KDGJ), 1,106 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,144
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#549426 06/30/19 10:08 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions in the future, but to get started, is there a good universal powder for hunting loads spanning from 2.5" low pressure loads to 3" waterfowl loads? I'm assuming not, but figured I would ask to be sure. I'll be loading tungsten for waterfowl and lead for the uplands. Also, I'll probably be purchasing from Ballistic Products to try and buy all the consumables in one place.

I appreciate any help or insight...

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, your best bet on getting proven loads is to go to the following:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloader

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

And you'll need this manual

https://www.lymanproducts.com/the-lyman-shotshell-reloading-handbook-5th-edition

I would avoid getting any of the Ballistic Products Manuals. Very sketchy and down right wrong info on a lot of their recipes.

Another good source for reloading supplies is Precision Reloading

https://www.precisionreloading.com/

A great source of info is on forum linked below, very good info and excellent advise

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=13&sid=e9517a8ff3b84f89dcd17ee898f9a58c

Reloading can be a lot of fun, but don't get frustrated if things don't go right the first time. There is a bit of a learning curve, but not that complex.

You got a very good and user friendly press. It will do the trick for you.

Anyway, have fun, you'll enjoy it!

Good Luck!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buy a Lyman shotgun loading manual

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no "universal" powder spanning the wide range of applications you indicate.
Buy the Lyman Shotshell Manual 5th edition as a good introduction.
While I do use some BP products I am also nervous about some of their load data.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When you pick only one powder you end up with one which does nothing well but everything kind of decently. Best to pick and choose exactly what you want to load and pick the best powder for each. Local skeet and trap clubs can often be a good source of supplies that shipping is a problem on like shot, primers and even powder. Wads can be bought on line for decent prices and greater selection.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unique is a good all around powder. I find the manuals from Hodgdons and Alliant powder companies to be much more useful. Their phone numbers are on their web sites - just call and ask for their free manuals. Good luck - Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

To cover the range mentioned I would want at least three powders. As I have always leaned toward the Hercules/Alliant powders my pick here would likely be Red Dot, Unique & Blue Dot.

Unique is an extremely versatile powder but it is not well suited for low-pressure loads of 1oz or less in a 12 nor is it suited for heavy shot charges at enhanced velocities.

Some years back the Rifleman published a 3de-1˝ oz load using Unique with both card & plastic wads. It was said to have been pressure & velocity tested by Hercules but to my knowledge never appeared in their loading guides. The pressure was not LOW but was within SAAMI standards.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I load 700X for my 12ga target loads, 11/16 oz. of 9's and 7/8 oz. of 8's. For my heavier coyote loads 1 1/4 oz. BB's for coyote 800X is my go to powder. Luckily I saw the writing on the wall and stocked up on PB for my 16ga Bismuth/ITX loads but I only load 7/8 or 1 ounce of those for waterfowl.

All my target and waterfowl loads are put up in 2 1/2" hulls.

Last edited by oskar; 07/01/19 08:37 AM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 2 1/2" shells can be cut down 2 3/4" shells with either a band saw or a wooden dowel with a single edge razor stuck in it at a 20 degree angle the proper height up. If you're going to fold crimp you'll need a 1/4" spacer to go under the drop tube and crimp stations. You can make one or buy Mecs "short kit." If you're going to roll crimp then that won't be necessary but a tool from Precision Reloading or BPI will be necessary. The PRing one is better. In MHO the roll crimps look cool, but are a PITA for reloading after the first time. The shell stays rolled over a little and has to be straighten. When I roll crimp it's shot and toss.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A while ago someone talked about cutting down shells on a table saw. I took a couple of 2x4 tacked them together, cut them back to 2.5" and drilled the appropriate sized hole for a 12 guage shell. With my jig I can cut down 14 shells in one pass. I did a garbage bag full in a couple of hours. With that many you can "When I roll crimp it's shot and toss" as Paul said.

I use single stage MEC set up for black powder. When I get to the crimp stage I take the shells out and use a roll crimp. I like the antique roll crimp tools, especially the French ones, they are a step up from most American made ones.

Last edited by Tamid; 07/01/19 10:18 AM.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.