March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
2-piper #549715 07/02/19 10:08 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
....got the formula from a minister, either Presbyterian or Luthern,...

The only recipe he would get from a Lutheran minister would be for Canned fruit in Jello & large pots of mediocre coffee.
Not sure about the Prebetrians ("The Frozen Chosen")
smirk
L

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Minister was named Daniel "Dan" Call. He was a Luthern minister. His dwelling, His Still, & the church which he served were then all located in Lincoln County TN, Moore County had not yet been formed. I am not for certain which county the property is in today, as it is very close to the county line.

The story is the members of his congregation did not think it looked good for their minister to be engaged in the distilling of whiskey so they gave him an ultimatum, give up either the still or the church. He chose to stay with the ministry & sold the still to young Jack, who had been working for him a couple of years learning the trade.

Shortly thereafter Jack moved it into Lynchburg, where it has been ever since. People have been telling them for some 150 years or so that it is Impossible to make charcoal by burning it in the open air, but they are still doing it & obtain all their charcoal that way.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
skeettx #549724 07/03/19 06:17 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx

At $15.99 a fifth it's got to be some prime sipping whiskey....

Fox you ever drank any mouthwash mixed with rubbing alcohol...might taste better and be smoother than that rOt gut you like.

2-piper #549733 07/03/19 08:07 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK- I believe you-- but how does that square with the movie line said by Al Pacino in "Scent of a Woman"--?? He referred to Jasper (Jack) Daniels as John Daniels-- And the lineage of the man's name Jack- comes from John-- as with the late JFK--exceptions exist- I have a neighbor named John Hoff-- he prefers John to Jack when he is being addressed- go figure that!! RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Run With The Fox,
Talking about "Scotch Whisky snobs"- My Daddy said: Drinking Scotch just proves you can cultivate a taste for 5hit, if you eat enough of it.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 07/03/19 09:07 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Foxy;
I cannot answer your question about the movie line. It very well could have been some Legal matter involving using a copyrighted name, just don't know. I do know for a fact though That Jasper Newton always was known as Jack, never John.

Jack never married & left no descendants. For many years both before & after being sold the distillery was managed by his nephew, Lem Motlow.
Lem's Brother Tom Motlow owned Farmer's Bank of Lynchburg.

If I remember my dates correctly the distillery was sold to Brown-Foreman of Louisville KY in the mid-1950s. Lem Motlow continued as its manager until his death. The sale was a hush-hush affair & it was a number of years before folks around knew it was no longer in the Motlow family, even the employees.

Moore County is often times seen listed as the smallest county in TN, but that is not accurate. In land area we are the 2nd smallest & population varies from census to census as to population. In the last census, 2010, we were the 3rd smallest with a population of just over 4,000 & the town of Lynchburg having a few over 400.

Annually we have some 250,000+ visitors come through here from all 50 states & around 30 foreign countries. Probably the best known "Small Town" in the world. In so far as I know we are also the Smallest Metropolitan Government in the world.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll keep an eye out. Just got rid of my last Pappy. Have some boss hogs left. Old Grand Dad is made from the same mash pot as Basil Haydens in case anyone does want a cheap smooth whiskey other than Jack Daniels

Sidelock
Sidelock

As a total Non-Alcoholic I can make no comments at all about the quality of Jack. Having lived no further away than around 12 miles since Jan of 1947 though I do know the man's name & a lot of the history of the company. That was just short of being a Required subject in the Moore County school systems: grin
I do know it has a good bit of worldwide fame & has been used by many Celebrities. My understanding is the only difference between it & Bourbon is that the "TN Whiskey" is mellowed by passing through the charcoal filtration.

Last edited by 2-piper; 07/03/19 09:53 AM.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: [censored
]

At $15.99 a fifth it's got to be some prime sipping whiskey....

Reminded me of the old joke when a bum asks a passerby to buy him a bottle of whiskey and the passerby says no but offers the bum 10 bucks. The bum says, great, I can get two bottles!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I seem to remember that Rebel Yell is made by the Van Winkle distillery. Hard to figure hoJo's criticism of Rebel Yell when he has posted before about his appreciation for Pappy Van Winkle???...Geo

Reckon he believes there's something different about it other than the bottle?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.