Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#550081 07/06/19 06:16 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Several years go I had duck breast meat and pork sausage rolls grilled for breakfast in a duck blind. The cook has since gone the way of all flesh, so I cannot ask him the ingredients, but there was something else in the rolls besides just pork sausage. Anybody here ever fix these savory entrees?

What I can remember is this. He said he "butterflied" the meat of one side of a mallard breast, but did so in a certain direction so that, when they were rolled up, cooked and eaten, as you bit off the end of the roll you were biting with the grain, not across it. There was a layer of sausage rolled up inside, and something else ........... but for the life of me I can't remember what.

If anybody here cooks these, or has a recipe for such, I would be grateful for the ingredients. I've got a hankering' for some to sizzle on the grill. And I need to eat up the rest of my ducks in the freezer.

Thanks much. SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Butterflied" like quarter-sawn hardwood- so that you bite the cooked waterfowl chests with the grain, as you eat corn off cob with the grain of the ear (row) rather than across the same. Use Italian sausage- Prosciutto de Parma- major importer from the Old Country is Volpi in St. Louis MO. Most major food retailers (Kroger- Winn Dixie, Wally-Mart) can get it for you. Do "NOT" store it in your deep freeze however- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Stan!
Butterflied meat yields cross grain at the seam.
If you desire thinner meat, try pounding between two layers of wax paper or in a heavy duty ziplock bag.
Grain be damned. Roll with abandon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, if you are going to pound your meat, you might as wall do duck breast paillards. From your description, I wouldn't be surprised if your friend had a bit of melty cheese (like Gouda) and maybe a bit of fresh basil. The cheese/herb combo needs to work with the spice blend in the sausage.

You might also try a variation on saltimbocca with thin duck breasts substituted for the veal and Foxy's suggestion for prosciutto inside, maybe with sage. Seems like a good idea.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Saltimboca is best done with pheasant breasts.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
Hey Stan!
Butterflied meat yields cross grain at the seam.
If you desire thinner meat, try pounding between two layers of wax paper or in a heavy duty ziplock bag.
Grain be damned. Roll with abandon.

The grain really makes a difference with the duck rolls, Bob. Trust me. You've got to make it thinner anyway ......... might as well do it the right way. Actually, it's the direction it's rolled that determines the grain orientation, not the way it's sliced. I didn't make that clear before.

Thanks for the suggestions all. The more I think about it, the more I believe he had a small amount of cream cheese in there. It wasn't a "cheesy" cheese, I'm sure of that, and there wasn't a lot of it. The basil sounds like it would work. We'll see.

I'll play around with some, maybe this week. 'Scuse me, my mouth's watering.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, could it have been cottage cheese? Often in lasagna and might work well in what you are describing.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I thought of that, James, and it could possibly have been, but I just don't remember that taste being present.

Thanks, SRH

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Stan, could it have been cottage cheese? Often in lasagna and might work well in what you are describing.

My mother's side of the family is 100% Sicilian....That would be Ricotta cheese in Lasagna.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The cook's son contacted me and said he thinks it was cream cheese, and included bacon and McCormick steak seasoning.

SRH

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.