March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Hammergun, Dave K, buckstix, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 398 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mergus Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Marks thread (which I did not want to hijack) got me to thinking about what I would like to have engraved on the sideplates of shotgun in the unlikely event I could ever afford a new custom.

As a dedicated waterfowler, I'd love to have a goldeneye or 2 pitching into the decoys with a view of the West Swanton bridge in the background.

For those of you who are not Lake Champlain hunters, the West Swanton bridge is in the middle of what I believe to be the prime whistler hunting area on Champlain.

What about you guys, got any fantasy engraving scenes you'd like to share?

Mergus

Duckboats, decoys and double barrels...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Check out Winslow Homer's "Right and Left" In National Art Gallery, Washington. Priceless for whistler gunners.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I chose the French Lascaux Cave painting for my highwall target rifle. Thinking about a Pleistocene scene from a 1920s painting if I ever do another.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fond Crux, composition woodcock:

But, the standard V19 pattern is nice, as well:

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I’d rather have a perfectly done bird or birds in a nice oval on each side than full coverage. And I hate the dots Italians call engraving. So three teal in flight over a small decoy or a nice male wigeon or a bull Sprig. Of course to be honest about the teal I’d have the trailer falling from formation. Many days I can pick out the third teal in line while pretending to be after the leader of the pack.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pick him out? I know exactly what you mean. You were pulling on the front bird and killed the third because of too little lead. Been there, done that. Got that T-shirt. blush

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was about 14, using Dad's gifted to me M12 20 gauge (with plug installed) and Peters paper no. 6 field loads, I sat in the front of a canoe on Horseshoe lake, early Oct. Sat. am-- duck season. 4 bluewings came barreling across the point, over the mallard decoys (herter's for sure) bobbing on their tethers- I swung way ahead of the lead teal, and the third one in line (beak to butt) dropped with a nice splash- hooked me one duck hunting forever-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF the problem is learning to shoot that way you were forced to call in groups of teal in number of three or greater. If you ever have a person tell you he often shot in front of teal you either have a person who never shot teal much or is just mistaken.

Back in the bad old days of lead shot, I killed Black Ducks with shots of 50 plus yards, because they were so weary that you just could not get them to come closer. After four or five very long range passes, you got to the point that you know it is long range or nothing. You do it often enough with a tightly choked double and you can get pretty good at it. Funny thing is you can do it, but never can explain how much lead or hold over you must use to do it. It is so fluid, not something you can pin down. But with today's Steel shot I would never risk such a long shot. Still nothing is as beautiful as a long range shot, that you connect on. I suspect that is a large part of the reason I like to shoot Dove so much with a .410. You can setup you hide so you get a large number of those very long range shots. And 30 yards, with a .410, is a long range shot but one which you can learn.

Sidelock
Sidelock

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, picture please!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.