March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, ksauers1, mel5141, fallschirmjaeger, 2 invisible), 809 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

One question regarding the plastic cases. I have read on numerous occasions that Black Powder burned too hot for use in plastic, that cases would be very short-lived. I have thus refrained from loading BP in plastic, so have no personal experience.

I have a W&C Scott 12 ga pinfire I have been wanting to make up some shells for, but for the work involved would want more than a couple of shots per each.

Where are you saying the Magtech brass is too thin? Is it for the purpose of swaging the rim or for holding the "Valve"? I could turn the rim so that would not be a problem. If there is not enough Meat to provide strength enough to hold the cap adapter that would another matter.
I have a box of 25 of the older Magtech 12 gauge brass which used the Berdan primers which would be a good use for them if I could work out a suitable conversion for them.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I have looked into an original pinfire hull that I have. It seems to have a 1/8" wad with a hole in the middle to hold the cap. See photo. I'm going to try and duplicate that as one of the methods I'll try.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a bad idea Mike

The pins can dent the thin Magtech case walls at impact.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper

Where are you saying the Magtech brass is too thin? Is it for the purpose of swaging the rim or for holding the "Valve"? I could turn the rim so that would not be a problem. If there is not enough Meat to provide strength enough to hold the cap adapter that would another matter.

The Magtech case is a very thin walled 'baloon head' type of construction.
Also it doesn't use a 209 primer.
A fellow could simply drill the base of the primer pocket and tap some suitable threads in the primer pocket walls and thread in a plug, then cross drill the firing pin hole.

As noted above, the case walls are thin and if the percussion cap is nested against the inside case wall opposite the externally protruding firing pin the case can dent from firing pin strikes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike Harrell

PM sent to you smile

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

would Paper Federals be a good alternative to plastic? Old ones have brass rims while the current ones have steel rims.

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Most likely as the originals were paper.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.