March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (NZHunter, L. Brown, LGF, SKB), 230 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with John Roberts

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure you're aware that butt transplants typically utilize an oversize blank that is grafted onto a sound head and grip section. But I've always been intrigued with the idea of attempting what you are proposing here. A number of good ideas have been forwarded so far. I like Bill's idea of using a sled on a table saw to make your cuts. A couple well matched and fitted mortises with a hardwood plywood tenon for maximum strength in the joint rather than dowels or all-thread. I think Titebond wood glue is fantastic stuff, but I'd go with the West System epoxy suggested by Mergus, simply because it will be tough to get a perfectly mated joint in the mortise and tenon. Using a milling machine would be best for machining the mortises. Epoxy is a much better gap filler than Titebond wood glue, and being internal, no one will ever see it. I like craigd's idea of sneaking up on the final mating surfaces by cutting a bit oversize, and taking it down to final perfect fit with a belt or disc sander. The joint should ideally end up hidden in the bottom of a checkering groove on both sides so that very little glue line is visible. A darker alkanet type stain hides a glue joint better than a lighter finish.

An interesting and challenging project Gil. I hope it turns out well, and I hope we get to see the results.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some very thoughtful replies here. Thank you to all, please keep them coming!

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil,

You may want to look at a copy of Shotgun Technicana by McIntosh and Trevallion. They have a 4 page chapter (with pics) on the butt transplant.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Crossed Chisels" or "DT" (aka David Trevallion) used the biscuit method which some have erroneously called the "mortise & tenon" method. In the mortise & tenon one piece has the mortise and the other piece has the tenon and they are glued and pressed together. With the biscuit method both pieces have the mortise precisely cut into them and a precision cut circular biscuit or wafer is glued, as are both mortises, and the whole lot are pressed together.

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 07/27/19 09:45 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Take the opportunity to introduce cast, as fits you.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Did the final fit up and assembly this morning. I'll follow up with more photos this week.

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures Gil.

Dean

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
The head of the receiver wood does not measure up to the butt piece. Going to look shitty.
JR

More like pig toting a silken purse....

Just speculating.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'll just relate a few of the highlights:
--I had several stocks lying around to use for practice cuts on the electric miter box, that helped so I could learn how to really hold the final piece correctly.
--I don't have a mill so I used a dowling jig to place the holes for the mortise, and then cleaned them up with very sharp chisels. That worked. The biscuit size is 1 1/2" x 1/2 x 1/4. I made the biscuit last to exactly fit the mortise.
--I used good quality slow-set epoxy, knowing that positioning the piece needed to set exactly in the correct position.
--Still have final finish work to do and then clean up the checkering and expand the field slightly.
--Comments: I am glad I was able to save a drop-dead gorgeous piece of wood. I spent more time than I had figured but so far worth it. Next time (if there is one) I will use end mills and x-y table on drill press. I don't have a mill. ALL of your comments were much appreciated--even the skeptics. THANK YOU.
WORKING ON INCLUDING A FEW PHOTOS. CHECK BACK IN A LITTLE WHILE. GIL

Last edited by gil russell; 09/13/19 12:15 PM.

[IMG]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.