April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (playing hooky), 166 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,431
Posts544,705
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

A James Woodward 12 bore fwd underlever,back action.I must take some better pics,these don't do the gun justice.I agree,the last few years the wells are getting dry...
[/url]
[/url]

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A solid rounded action bar, no recesses for cocking levers and other complications to weaken it, the action is just about indestructible. And super good looking too.

My Cogswell 2 1/2 inch 410 weighs 1.9 kg, about 4 1/2 lbs, a pleasure to shoot and manipulate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not quite so fancy but it is my favorite waterfowl shotgun

1941 Husqvarna Model 51, I have a three of them. Sadly the finest of them got cut to 20" by some cowboy shooter, I bought it for parts.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful pictures, folks. I have to count myself among those who prefer the look of a back-lock to a bar-lock on a hammer gun.

Here's a peculiar case, back-locks made by Noah Butler of Wednesbury, for the notable gunmakers Samuel and Charles Smith of London, with inverted inscriptions:

And, for no other reason than eye candy, a few more back-lock pinfires.

Sidelock
Sidelock

S.I.A.C.E. makes (or at least made in fairly recent times) a lovely back action hammer gun. I believe it sold as the "Concordia" here, although it's labeled as the 370B on the S.I.A.C.E web site (https://www.siacearmi.com/en/products-k2-2/hammer-guns/item/184-370b.html). I have one in 28 gauge with 29 inch barrels. They are very nice shotguns and it's one of my go-to clays guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why would one want a safety on a hammergun?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive been lucky enough to see some of Steves pinfire collection in the flesh. Just fantastic!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

John Blissett, London, 12 gauge.

Pondeveax, St. Etienne, 16 gauge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: steve voss

The earliest pinfire sporting guns (before 1860) sometimes had features carried over from muzzle-loading days, such as grip safeties. I guess gunmaking habits die hard, or new clients wanted the same features. In some cases, muzzle-loaders converted to pinfire retained grip safeties.

Hammer rifles for dangerous game often had sliding stalking safeties on the hammers, I suppose to be able to carry the rifle through heavy brush, much like intercepting sear safeties on hammerless guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:

Anyone feel free to Flame Me all you desire to. I will, however, make one bold Statement. NO hammer gun is completely safe unless it has some type of hammer block. On hammer doubles the final & most efficient form was the rebounding hammer.
NO gun, internal hammer, external hammer or striker type should ever be carried with the firing pin contacting the cap or primer. Half-cock "Safeties" are usually rather delicate & easily broken in the case of the hammer being struck a blow, which can occur in a fall or a dropped gun,

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.