April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (rwarren, earlyriser, bushveld, Kolar Dickson, 2 invisible), 1,053 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,854
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Brent, being an Iowan, you'd certainly be interested in a tradition started by a group in Des Moines. Called themselves the Huntmasters. On the glorious 12th, they'd drive rural gravel roads and celebrate by shooting bridge pigeons. No idea whether they're still active.

In 27 yrs here, I have never heard of that. Interesting. My grandfather used to shoot barn pigeons up near Jewell, but he was a sporting man, so he shot them with a .22 on the wing. smile

I've always wanted to shoot some pigeons, but I'm hesitant to eat them. Too many places poison them.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

They are now Coming South after the "Glorious Twelfth" at Perth Station, I prefer this George Earls painting out of the two it has more dogs. Possibly because it is a painting from my miss spent youth, the original did hang in my local Pub "The Vines" in Lime Street Liverpool. Oh! how I wish to be looking at it again across a smoke filled Lounge Bar with my friends of yesteryear trying to count the lamps after one too many! The painting now hangs in York Railway Museum.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
It's like waiting for Christmas morning. Hard to keep my mind on the things a husband is expected to. frown

28 days, 1 hour, 4, minutes and 3 seconds

SRH

This is something I did as a child..
..In your old age you must be reverting back to being a child.

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
20 days and counting down here.

One minute you're up the east coast next minute you're "down here"....

At this point I hope you know where you really are.

Just sAying.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Karl Graebner
Larry,
I generally wait until the following week when Woodcock season opens up, as I've gone out on opening day to experience the same issues. It seems when I go out the first day of grouse season I flush nothing but.....you guessed it, woodcock!
Karl

Agree that's also a problem. Wish they'd open together. But they've got to work with that woodcock window imposed by the feds. They could open the woodcock season earlier, but they'd then have to close it earlier. And I've seen years up here when there were still doodles around, even in northern WI, after the season closed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Brent, being an Iowan, you'd certainly be interested in a tradition started by a group in Des Moines. Called themselves the Huntmasters. On the glorious 12th, they'd drive rural gravel roads and celebrate by shooting bridge pigeons. No idea whether they're still active.

In 27 yrs here, I have never heard of that. Interesting. My grandfather used to shoot barn pigeons up near Jewell, but he was a sporting man, so he shot them with a .22 on the wing. smile

I've always wanted to shoot some pigeons, but I'm hesitant to eat them. Too many places poison them.

I seem to recall that the Huntmasters were associated with the Des Moines Izaak Walton club.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry I have an island up around Jewel I'd sell ya...

Originally Posted By: Stan
It's like waiting for Christmas morning. Hard to keep my mind on the things a husband is expected to. frown

28 days, 1 hour, 4, minutes and 3 seconds

SRH

They kood rights a country sOng about that there....

I'm jist sit'n on da back porch polishing up my turd of a fOe tin Yiltz'e shOOt'z gun just count'n the minutes n saconds till yonder dove season...

Wife's in the kitcken kooking up some frozen dOve turd pie....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: damascus

They are now Coming South after the "Glorious Twelfth" at Perth Station, I prefer this George Earls painting out of the two it has more dogs...

Looking at the painting, I believe I can see both Walsingham and Ripon in addition to the dogs. What about you?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thought I had better post its sibling painting "Going North King's Cross Station". Walsingham & Ripon are just off frame to the right.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was late to the assembly.
Missplaced my sonic screwdriver while working on the Tardis.

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 08/13/19 12:40 PM.

Out there doing it best I can.
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
20 days and counting down here.

One minute you're up the east coast next minute you're "down here"....

At this point I hope you know where you really are.

Just sAying. [/quote]

jOe, Im not surprised you can no longer figure up from down. Ill make it easy for you. Even or level. There. I live in the KY/OH area with small local parcels of land for Dove in both states. I go back East to the Eastern Shore every three weeks to deal with holdings back there and to visit a friend under Hospice care. If you draw a line East to West, where I live to my house back there is almost exactly parallel to the Mason Dixie line the Maryland - Pennsylvania part not the Maryland - Delaware north South leg. So when I go back East I am level with where I live here.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.