March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (DaveB, gunmaker, bushveld, Jimmy W, Roundsworth, Researcher), 765 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 46 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 45 46
Sidelock
Sidelock

My son and I hunted three weekends starting Oct 26. I got the smaller bull on opening day which coincided with my 79th birthday. David got his the following week. The deer was last weekend. All were taken within 1/2 mile of one another and illustrate why folks in the West are defensive of public lands.

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 11/14/19 10:58 PM.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am awed considering the effort that must be required to field butcher an elk that size and pack it out, even if to a processor. That is a lot of meat and bone to tote out. Hope your trucks are always downhill from the kill site!

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, There were two younger guys to help with field dressing and two horses to tote the meat to the truck. No animal was much further from the truck than a mile. Each of the three days was followed by a blizzard that drove us out of the country sooner than we'd planned.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congrats Bill, looks like your 'little' one has an extra point on the right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Each of the three days was followed by a blizzard that drove us out of the country sooner than we'd planned.

Global Warming will do that to you.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Each of the three days was followed by a blizzard that drove us out of the country sooner than we'd planned.

Global Warming will do that to you.

+1. keith is exactly right about that.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earthtalks-global-warming-harsher-winter/

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I am awed considering the effort that must be required to field butcher an elk that size and pack it out, even if to a processor. That is a lot of meat and bone to tote out. Hope your trucks are always downhill from the kill site!

SRH

Even a cow is miserable when you're alone. Shot this one around 4 pm so no time to compose a nice picture before getting to work. Had it quartered and bagged by dark. Final load in the truck by 11:00 pm. For reference, a hind quarter weights about as much as a bag of concrete. The front quarters are probably more like 45 lbs. but, once you get the backstraps and neck and whatever you can get your toting roughly 4 bags of quikrete out of the woods. Bill had more like 5 or 6 bags of quikrete to tote. It's been almost a month and my back still hurts. I'm very acclimatized to elevation and it's still hard work at 9500'. I don't know how the out of state people do it.

Last edited by RyanF; 11/15/19 01:03 PM.
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, well we had my sons Jim's tag to fill (I filled mine on Opening Day), so we went to our friends farm again and Jim was able to fill his tag 25 minutes after shooting hours began.  We saw a doe standing by a cattail slough and he nailed her with his Browning A-Bolt in .25 WSSM.  She was a decent doe and with that, thus ended our 2019 Deer season.

Here's Jim with his doe

It was a good season and a safe one!

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I killed a huge 5x5 whitetail as it came south out of my woodlot (gratis permit)on the 11th. Next day, same time 20 min. after suniet, same wind direction, my friend shot a 4x5 from the same spot. He was heading north into my woodlot accompanied by four does. No other hunters around in both cases. Just tough to predict the movements of these animals.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yesterday was the first day Floyd and I ran our dogs.  My MutttPak, Abby and Willa, are in the photo.  The other two Britt's, Floyd's Sadie and Pop wouldn't take part in the photo.  We hunted edges of a 150 acre clear cut for an hour and a half while temps were cool and found a covey of a dozen or more birds.  We left it alone after two birds.  While hunting the clear cut edge, Floyd got an alert on his tracking that Sadie was 150 yards into a bottom on point.  We went in.  Our three dogs were strung out in a line backing Sadie for 50 yards.  It was great to see the first day out with them.  A woodcock flushed.  WC season is 17 days away and we are loaded with birds already because of the northern weather.  About noon after we finished at 11, we were looking for more wc habitat and saw this vicious looking, but harmless hognose snake in melanistic phase.  Beautiful snake but seeing it reaffirmed our choice of ending  when we did because we were in serious EDB rattler country.  Whose nose?  Only the nose knows.  Gil

Page 14 of 46 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.