March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hammergun, Stanton Hillis, SKB, 2 invisible), 287 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,979
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 45 46
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill is working on some barrels for me as we speak. Beginning of the season has been a bust, but we are going this Sunday

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

No pictures, no shots fired, no quarry seen in this mornings muzzleloader deer hunt but it was an incredible morning on the mountain. I heard the first bugle not 200 yards from the truck and it was non stop for the next 2 hours. I was consistently seeing them from 6:45 to 8:15 and at about 7:30 had to stop my walk in because they were bedding to the North and West of me. I sat there watching cows, calves and several satellite bulls all between 60 and 100 yards away in the timber for the next 45 minutes the whole time the heard bull was bugling but I never did see him. One nice 6x6 was playing around in front of me about 100 yards out for at least 10 minutes, really wide but still not fully mature. He will be a monster next year or the year after. What great fun even if I did not have an Elk tag.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is my favorite photograph from this year and for me maybe ever.

I was lucky enough to draw one of 3 pronghorn tag in small hunting
unit here in Utah.

Utah has a program where you can mentor youths and share your tag. I did that this year and mentored my 13 year old grandson on his first big game hunt letting him hunt under my supervision and use my tag.

I had scouted the unit several times and had found some decent bucks. Anyone would take a good first Antelope for a young man.

Our hunt started Friday morning. I had taken a drive around the unit and had spotted what might be the best buck I have ever seen on the hoof. I just hoped I could find him again in the morning. As you know we did find him.

We spotted him bedded down on small hill about 1500 yards away. There was know way we could stock up the valley so we decided to leave him and go up on the plateau and hope we could get near him before he wandered off.

We got lucky and managed to hit the edge of the ridge about 125 yards from the still bedded down buck. I put my pack down and had Dallin get prone. The buck sensed something was up and stood up and trotted a few steps and stopped. Dallin, aimed what will now be his Ruger American Predator 6.5mm Creedmoor, fired and made a perfect shot. The buck went down where he stood. I doubt he heard the shot.

When I got close both down antelope, wow he was an impressive Pronghorn. I don't think my grandson fully appreciates just how impressive this buck is.

I took head and cape to the taxidermist this morning. We rough measured and he might make book. Time will tell is he measure up. Either way, Dallin shot the Pronghorn of a lifetime.

Sharing this experience and getting a young man started hunting was much more fulfilling than if I had shot this buck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Slowpokebill,
Good on you for starting another fine young man on the right road. When you are long gone, he will be telling his grand son(s) about this hunt. Good on him for a fine shot.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like that smug, grown-up subdued smile on the young mans face, knowing full well he wants to be grinning like a Cheshire cat!!!! And rightfully so!! Good story and good picture and good on you Bill for getting this youngster started off right!!

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I am happy for you both, knowing how special it is to help a grandson with his hunting firsts. That really is a nice goat.

Thanks for posting that. You've got some mighty good eating, now.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

These aren't the greatest pictures but what the heck. We were tealing today. It was a spectacular morning leading up to a long day of rain and storms. But for a few hours, it was perfect. And we got some birds. In fact, using that old Cashmore clunker that Ted so vehemently dislikes and some blackpowder loads, I managed to drop 3 teal with the first shot. Multiple birds with one shot is new to me (except at skeet), so this was a nice bonus. We ended up with 4 birds total.

This was a new location for me, and when the big ducks and especially geese become legal, it should be a spectacular location. we had Canadas dropping in on our heads the whole time.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, my first post since this thread started. Some great posts here, keep them coming!

Yesterday was our Grouse/Hun opener. Didn't do squat! My son Jim and I went up to check on our duck slough and decided to hunt by it. Didn't see any birds at all.

Today however was different, went to an old reliable spot and was able to get a double on a covey flush.

More import, it was my new GSP pup Addie's first hunt. It was a whole new experience for her. Her she worked well, but didn't quite know what was going on, but she has time to learn. For her first day, I was happy with her. I think she'll dod well. Just a matter of time.

Anyway, here's a couple of her in the field:

The birds, I used my 16b John Wilkes

Best,

Greg

Last edited by gjw; 09/15/19 07:39 PM.

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,
I think that Addie did extremely well for her first hunt, and a great day was had. Here's hoping your season continues to go well.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, few things are more fun than watching a good dog learn and figure out whats going on when they first start hunting. You can almost hear that click as she figures out things. Enjoy the ride.

Page 5 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.