March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marc Ret, SKB, Argo44, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 370 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

looks like a blast!
Tell me, what sort of order were the breech plugs in, particularly the thread, its something that worries me with a muzzleloader, more so than any pitting.

As an aside I cut wads from beer mat and engineers pure wool felt.
I dip the felt in melted lube, and glue a beer card wad to top and bottom.
That way its just powder,composite wad, shot and overshot card.

GDU

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gregdownunder
looks like a blast!
Tell me, what sort of order were the breech plugs in, particularly the thread, its something that worries me with a muzzleloader, more so than any pitting.

Why would the thread condition of the breach plugs worry you more so than any pitting ?

Pitting is like a tooth cavity only worse no way to measure depth yOu can't put a little bOndo in the hole and it will go away....

Shooting a 100 plus year old gun with a deep pit is like playing Russian Roulette.

Once rust and corrosion start on metal there is no real way of stopping it.

Might get your prioritizes in order Greg

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I've never seen a muzzle-loader blow up, as such.
However I have seen a nipple drum take off from the side of a reproduction muzzle-loader. Turns out the threads were rusted almost away, so it became the path of least resistance.
Made me think of those breech plug threads, would hate for one to come loose. That said my gunsmith opines those he has taken out from originals actually tend to be in pretty good nick, so was curious what these were like as there has obviously been some corrosion in the breech area.
I've not taken mine out, I'm too worried about damaging something if they are too tight.

Argo44 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

The butt plug threads looked fine. There is a thin fault in the left butt plug - see the whitish area but it is not a "load bearing" area. I think the butt plugs look amazingly fine for a 170 year old gun:

By the way Greg, another New Zealand on-line acquaintance called Robert Hollimore up in Rutora...I've passed the phone number to David Trevallion.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Argo44 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I'll add this....we were shooting that muzzle loader on a Sunday afternoon. Several fathers had their sons out with them. They were taking videos of the loading of 5512...and I didn't know much about that...I'd pre-measured powder and shot into medicine size bags..so I didn't make a mistake. I think 3 or 4 kids fell in love with SxS muzzle loaders on that trip. It was supremely satisfying.

Sidelock
Sidelock

eYe bet you felt like one of them tV celebrities....

yOu sign any audio graphs ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: [censored
]

yOu sign any audio graphs ?

Snap chatted them a link to that Reilly thread.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
The butt plug threads looked fine. There is a thin fault in the left butt plug - see the whitish area but it is not a "load bearing" area. I think the butt plugs look amazingly fine for a 170 year old gun:

By the way Greg, another New Zealand on-line acquaintance called Robert Hollimore up in Rutora...I've passed the phone number to David Trevallion.

That's good I could help.
Robert is probably our last English trained gunsmith, and he is basically retired so I don't know what we will do now.
The way things are going here I suspect sending guns to the UK for repair will be out of the question too, they wont let them back in!

Interesting about the threads, perhaps they are so tightly fitted fouling simply cannot get in and cause corrosion.
I would love to take mine out but am too afraid of causing damage, and it probably wouldn't tell me anything anyhow.

GDU.

Argo44 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

You could see the condition of the chambers but there are micolights and cameras that can do that sort of thing now. But if it still works, why try to fix it. (There was a commo guy friend of mine out in Africa whose motto was "We'll fix it till it's broke.") On mine, I just didn't know what I was getting into and didn't want to take a chance. Gene

Last edited by Argo44; 09/25/19 10:53 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you ever looked down a pitted muzzle loader barrel with a bore scope you would most likely never fire it again....

Even with yer skally'wag Alabama up bringing.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.