March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 31 32
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: [censored
]I'd buy this one.

Versa Vise
http://www.willburtversavise.com/shop/kbwd9agpekwg9uyxn57iai6aflkso0

I've had this one for 20 years. I use it mainly for wood working and holding guns/barrels while I clean or work on them.

Here's the drop in leather padded attachment I made no chance of marring metal or wood with these...the taller jaws of this vice have an advantage over most vices with short jaws.

Three, whole, Phillips head wood screws, holding the thing down to a chunk of 1X pine, nailed into more pine?

That isnt a vise mount. That is stove wood. Or, exhibit A of how not to mount a vise. That, is an embarrassment.

What is the Channel Locks for? Fine woodworking?

Just cause it says Craftsman where you park your ass, doesnt make you one.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buy this one. It aint a toy vise:

https://www.wiltontools.com/us/en/p/machinist-5-jaw-round-channel-vise-with-stationary-base/28837

But, build a decent mount for it. Dont use wood. Or, Phillips head wood screws.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Homeless, your vise looks like a Parrot Vice.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Shittle'brains the guy was asking for a gun vise not a blacksmith vise.

My vise is mounted with lag bolts with counter sunk heads on a bench top that is made from a commercial laminated door....you'd pull the bumper off that old clunker Oldsmobile of yours if you hooked to it.

Most any idiOt knows a gun or woodworking vice is made for holding things not for beating them to death.....

I guess you could clamp your Darne bolt action shootgun in that big Wilton vise of yours and whip the hell out of it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

David I had an older Versa Vice before I bought this one close to 25 years ago...I looked today only markings on it is "Made in America".

(Maybe Teddy bOy will post a picture of his Darne or Mossberg pumper clamped in his big Wilton blacksmith vice).

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Before the discussion completely derails....

It seems like a smaller versa vise / parrot vise is a fine option for most gunsmithing tasks, since, as you said, the majority of jobs really just need the 'third hand'. If I had a little more space (and money) I would ideally have a vise of this type in the shop.

But there are also undoubtedly times when a larger vise- Even a blacksmiths post vise- would give more stability for heavier duty jobs.

I take from the whole of the discussion- and from what I've seen used by professional gun makers (on YouTube, Instagram, etc) that there is not one perfect gunsmithing vise. The Holland and Holland video, e.g., shows a variety of bench and post vises being used in the same shop, although they all seem to be of the heavier class.

Being of the traditionist/purist bent but also having limited space in my shop, I have chosen the Parker 674 1/2, which was advertised as a 'woodworkers' vise. At nearly 80# (10# more than the Wilton 6.5" tradesman vise, e.g.) it is plenty stout. But the jaw design seems like it will have some of the advantages of the versa vise (not including the vertical/horizontal switching mechanism).

Here it is next to my 4" Craftsman bench vise, which it will be replacing.

Jim
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
the 6 and 8 inch Wiltons are horrifically expensive, the 8 is over 4K.
Comparing the upper end Wilton vises to products made 50-100 years past is like comparing an F16 to a Saber jet.

I'm not even in the ballpark of something like a Wilton 500n, which is several thousands of dollars, as you said.

But I do have my eye on a well used Wilton 1765 (tradesman vise) that is coming up at a local auction. If I can get it for $100 or so, I'll probably go for it and just figure out a place for it in the shop.

The only way I could make a steel post stand for it would be if it were mobile, which might defeat the purpose of the steel post. I am short on space.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Woodreaux
Before the discussion completely derails....

Careful now Jim...

It was dingle berry Ted that started the derailment...

I'm betting the only thing Teds clamped in his Wilton is a lawn mower blade.

I do like the tall deep jaws on the vice you bought....

Jim it's hard to tell from a picture but the overall tall height might call for a bench height adjustment..it would be real easy to make a wood and leather drop in for it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep in mind while discussing vises for a gunshop that the height the vise is mounted is of utmost importance, regardless the size of it. Often, in gun work, a vise is called upon to hold a part for filing. When filing it is imperative that the piece being filed is at elbow level, so that the file stroke is horizontal and not up, at an angle, then down at an angle. The best work with a file is done perfectly horizontal. I was taught this by a tool and die maker many years ago. Practice will prove this true. I have seen him even stand on a few pieces of plywood to make the work in the vise the right height for best filing, and so that the file stroke allowed his forearm to make perfectly horizontal passes, and not angling up and down.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Woodreaux
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
the 6 and 8 inch Wiltons are horrifically expensive, the 8 is over 4K.
Comparing the upper end Wilton vises to products made 50-100 years past is like comparing an F16 to a Saber jet.

I'm not even in the ballpark of something like a Wilton 500n, which is several thousands of dollars, as you said.

But I do have my eye on a well used Wilton 1765 (tradesman vise) that is coming up at a local auction. If I can get it for $100 or so, I'll probably go for it and just figure out a place for it in the shop.

The only way I could make a steel post stand for it would be if it were mobile, which might defeat the purpose of the steel post. I am short on space.

The 500N is right around $1100 after it is shipped. The UPS man wont have much to say to you for awhile, after he delivers it.

Eventually, one will discover that the vise they set up for fine woodworking will be pressed into some other use. It is better to have too much, rather than too little vise on hand. If youve only got room for one, make it a good one. The mount is just as important as the vise itself.

Ive separated a lot of front end components on that anvil for the car restorations Ive done here. And, plenty of general maintenance gun work, where I could have gotten by with smaller/less. But, bigger is better.

Best,
Ted

Page 3 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.