March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Licensed to kill, Little Creek, FallCreekFan, Karl Graebner, KDGJ, Argo44), 803 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,023
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 31 32
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I think I bought this Wilton, brand, spanking, new, in about 1990:

"1990"

Hell you say...

Ted from the loOKs of your picture I'd say you have what's commonly referred to as a "set around vise".

A set around tool shows little to no use...from the pic it looks to me like it just sets around while you sit on a bar stool and drink beer and look at it and say...."bOy look at that big ol'vice".

Ive separated a lot of front end components on that anvil for the car restorations Ive done here. And, plenty of general maintenance gun work

Show us a pic of some "general maintenance gun work" you've done with your big SAV.

Ps...Teddy bOy you're more full of chit than your mossy turd pump shotgun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The 500N is right around $1100 after it is shipped. The UPS man wont have much to say to you for awhile...

I was thinking of the 800s, which is 3-4k.

As for UPS, I'm pretty sure when they left my Parker in the carport looking like this...

... They were letting me know what they thought about carrying an 80# package!

I think the blame is more on the UPS store in Ohio that did the packaging, but I'd give UPS poor marks all around in the one

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Woodreaux's statement a couple pages back is correct. There is no one vise that is good for everything. But it is also true that there is seldom room for one of every kind of vise. I have a small( 2 1/2") swivel machinist type vise with brass jaws and small Vee blocks mounted on a piece of 2x4 that is clamped in the versa vise or bench vise, depending on lighting and height requirements( and now, whether I can stand or must sit on a stool).It swivels on itself and tilts in the other vise. A hand vise gets a good bit of use clamped in a larger vise. Sometimes I lock the headstock on one of the lathes and use the chuck as a vise. This doesn't even address milling machine and drill press vises. We can't forget about the barrel vise, some people claim they use the bench vise as a barrel vise, but you can color me highly doubtful of that.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 10/16/19 01:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: [censored
]
I think I bought this Wilton, brand, spanking, new, in about 1990:

"1990"

Hell you say...

Ted from the loOKs of your picture I'd say you have what's commonly referred to as a "set around vise".

A set around tool shows little to no use...from the pic it looks to me like it just sets around while you sit on a bar stool and drink beer and look at it and say...."bOy look at that big ol'vice".

Ive separated a lot of front end components on that anvil for the car restorations Ive done here. And, plenty of general maintenance gun work

Show us a pic of some "general maintenance gun work" you've done with your big SAV.

Ps...Teddy bOy you're more full of chit than your mossy turd pump shotgun.

No wood screws holding tools, no China locks on the bench, nothing a craftsman like you would understand. You should be more careful with your hacksaw when you are sawing junk in your vise. The hack marks in the jaws of that toy look right at home in your shop, no doubt. You proud of that?
I cant ever recall having to clamp an O/U by the tubes, like you did in your tinker toy vise.
Nice.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I clamp barrels like that when I clean them Mr. Shitt'ferbrainz.

The reason the forearm is on the barrels is because it's a Browning Superposed and I don't pull the forearm every time I clean it.

Still waiting for a picture of something clamped in your SAV.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: [censored]
I clamp barrels like that when I clean them Mr. Shitt'ferbrainz.

The reason the forearm is on the barrels is because it's a Browning Superposed and I don't pull the forearm every time I clean it.

Still waiting for a picture of something clamped in your SAV.

Still waiting to hear the reason youve got such a crummy mount under your crummy vise.

You go first. But, a guy who mounts a vise, with Philips head wood screws, to a plank on top of 2X4s is beyond reason.

Worst piece of junk ever pictured, here.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

No pic Ted....

Least you could is clamp a beer can in the big SAV and snap a picture demonstrating it's great crushing power.

Ted those are not small Phillips head screws screwed to a 2x4...the bench top is a commercial grade solid wood door. I used those bolts because I wanted the counter sunk heads.

Did yo momma try and drown you when you were little and cause your brAin damage ?....or is it just the Fwench fried genetics ?

Der Ami #556947 10/17/19 07:06 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
Around here a lot of gunsmiths use a "Versa Vice" or a more modern Brownell version. They may also have another, more robust, vise of various make for "rough" work.
Mike

Ted should get out more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Check this out Teddy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use it cleaning rifles too Teddy

Page 4 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.