April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jtplumb, eeb, rtw, WJW, 2 invisible), 898 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,121
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ed: Zippel Bay on the Lake-of-the-Woods.

Sidelock
Sidelock

lloyd, your pictures brought back fond memories of a trip to northern mn, about 15 years ago...

thanks for posting them here...

Last edited by ed good; 10/25/19 03:50 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wish we didn't have to create URLs to post pics here. Had the tinyurl site going for awhile, but it folded. Had Imgur for a bit also. My other forums don't require image hosting.

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Likely will not get another chance to do a boat hunt on a river in conditions like this. Swans still there today after almost three weeks in the flooded beans. All I will need is a few family groups heading downriver. Would be over a mile to row upriver to where they are and they would all see me coming. Should be small flocks of ducks and geese on the move. Plenty of snow geese down now, as my buddy saw a hundred thousand yesterday west of Jamestown. So far Gus not too enthusiastic about jumping out of boats, but I likely will be in weeds and shallow water. Carrying push pole, lopping shears, a few duck decoys, and may throw in some hay.
My problem will be seeing them in time to get a shot. I'll also turn my hearing aids on max!
And if I can nail a Great White that has been eating soybeans it will be the first record for the state.

Sorry no pix

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3

A good road bird stretch. Drive-by shootings don't just happen in the inner city. Good way to start out a youngster who needs a little success at putting something in the pot. Anywhere else and it would be considered very bad form, but it's how 90% of the natives hunt up here so....when in Rome.

Shooting them on the ground is for slobs and not sporting at all. My bet is that opposed to giving encouragement for meager success you only instilled a lesson of laziness and instant gratification. Poor characteristics for a sportsman.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nca225
[quote=Lloyd3]
Shooting them on the ground is for slobs and not sporting at all. My bet is that opposed to giving encouragement for meager success you only instilled a lesson of laziness and instant gratification. Poor characteristics for a sportsman.

NCA, you just don't understand truck window hunting. A ground shot hardly ever happens. The bird flushes and it is tricky as heck to get the the barrel out the window and adjust your lead on the bird with the momentum of the truck. Or so they tell me. I've quit judging...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

The natives in that part of the world are something to behold. The Red Lake WMA is a patchwork of state owned land with Indian lands scattered throughout. While the Indians are permitted to hunt the State land, non band members are expressly forbidden from hunting or trespassing on band land, and it is poorly marked. Native wardens have zero tolerance for trespassing, and if you are a non band member, you can expect to be arrested.
Ive have come on minivans with all the doors open, driving slowly along roads and logging trails, and four or five kids sitting with shotguns waiting to see a grouse or deer, and shooting them from the van. This behavior is expressly forbidden to, say, Lloyd or myself, but band members have State blessing to hunt in almost any manor they wish. The van on several occasions had dead grouse stacked like cordwood in the middle.
Of course my son asked me about that.
I explained to my son that we cant and shouldnt hunt like that, and that the State of Minnesota is governed by liberal people who wish to put groups of people in boxes to determine how they live their lives, instead of governing with the idea that we are all equal and free, and should abide by the same laws.
I think I mentioned something about maybe those guys didnt like dogs, or buying dog food, and, that it appeared they werent real keen on fresh air and exercise, as all the shooters were overweight and smoking cigarettes, even though the oldest was perhaps 12 or 13, but, that was beside the point.
Ive never been a road hunter. The dogs dont tolerate it. If I didnt own dogs, I might not hunt.

Best,
Ted

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wondered when somebody was going to notice that. We call them "bonus" birds. They eat just as well as the ones killed on the wing and it seems to be the only way the locals hunt them. I tend to walk between two and three trails a day when I'm up there and my average mileage walked per-day is usually between 4 or 5. I used to drive-by or around those birds but that began to strike me as rather impractical. I hunt grouse because I thoroughly enjoy them as table fare. I'd much prefer to shoot them on the wing but...that doesn't always happen to be the shot you get up there. I pay for the licence and follow the rules, and in Minnesota that is considered a legal "take". Moralize if you will, but that's how it's done up there.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 11/02/19 06:15 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Instant gratification produces a sense of entitlement. You should be careful what seeds you sow.

Last edited by nca225; 11/02/19 07:38 PM.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great pictures and fun times out in the woods. Thanks for sharing them Lloyd.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.