March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ken Nelson, Dan S. W., Marc Ret, SKB, 1 invisible), 796 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 32 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 31 32
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I bet you like fat women that like to lay around too...

First comment about the opposite sex, it was all you, blowhard.

The best vise for general gunsmithing is the best vise, period. That is spelled Wilton by anybody who knows anything about tools. Bigger is always better. American made is always better in a vise. There is nothing on the market to compare to the round bar, keyed Wilton, and there never will be. Your favorite new vise, the Versa vise, is full of Chinese junk parts. Anything they can get built cheaper in the Far East is in it. Ive pressed bearings and studs with the Wilton that would have broken a Versa vise in half if you tried it. And, as Stan noted, the mount is perfectly at elbow level, well illuminated, and free standing, in a dead blow mount that makes it perfect for detail work.

Once you have a vise, you will use it for other projects. Anybody who thinks their only vise in the shop will only be used for gun work is fooling themselves. Better to buy more than you might need than less. True with a lot of tools, air compressors, for example. Id bet you have a fine example of a Chinese compressor, dont you?

Someday you should buy a real vise, jOe. And put it in a real mount. What you have pictured is a joke.

By the way, I never have and never will respond to any stupid PMs from you (you are an idiot) so, you can quit sending them.

FOAD, moron.

Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

The guy asked about a gunsmith vise...you took that as an opertunity to brag about your big automotive/blacksmith vise.

What I said about fat women had nothing to with your wife Teddy bOy...

Just thought that since you like big do nothing vises that deep down you'd have to like fat women.

The pm...I just sent you an ebay link to a cool vintage bicycle seat...I should have figured you'd be too dumb to click on it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Scheetz'fer'brAins

Your favorite new vise, the Versa vise, is full of Chinese junk parts. Anything they can get built cheaper in the Far East is in it.

Best tOtal moron.

Ted

Hate to burst yer Wilted bubble Ted....

Lowes has a Wilton Vise made in China.

My older vice says USA right on the side of it...

Originally Posted By: Ted Scheetz'fer'brAinz
as Stan noted, the mount is perfectly at elbow level

Best,

Ted

(the Noted tOtal moron and eYe don't mind proving it)

Can Stan save you from yourself Ted ?

"Elbow level" is too low for detail work unless you want a back ache and a sore neck...

That's understandable that you don't know this because you know nothing about doing detail work.

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
Around here a lot of gunsmiths use a "Versa Vice" or a more modern Brownell version. They may also have another, more robust, vise of various make for "rough" work.
Mike

You calling this guy a liar...Think he's a mOron too Ted.

Tell us how you really feel TedwArd....

We wait with bAited breath.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Elbow level for filing, always has been, always will be. Anything else is for weekend warriors or posers.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
SKB #557660 11/01/19 10:03 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Talk about pOsers....

Ha..ha...ha...

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Almost 14K posts and you still have nothing to offer FrAnk.

This reminds of the time you signed up for my online remedial metallurgy class and finally learned that quenching is part of the color case hardening process. You were wrong then even though clearly your common sense told you no quench was involved. Similarly, you are wrong now to question Stan and Ted on the correct level to mount a vise. The correct height to mount a vise has always been elbow level and will remain so.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
SKB #557663 11/01/19 10:25 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

We all know you don't know jAck Scheet

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive got several vises in my shop, all at or close to elbow level. I do agree that as things get more detailed there is benefit to being slightly above elbow level, for normal work at elbow level, and for heavy work slightly below elbow level. While its a very personal thing elbow level is a great place to start, from there put some time on it and modify to suite or have multiple vises at varying heights. Typically we are talking a + or - 2 at most window. Comparing extremes look at the work height of a blacksmiths anvil and watchmakers/jewelers/engravers work height. As work gets higher youre giving up mechanical advantage for a closer view, more control, and faster shoulder/arm fatigue due to upper body position and tension.

If a guy spends 40hrs a week at a workbench whom should tell him what works...after thousands of hours hes figured things out.

My main vise is a vintage Rock Island No.52. 4.5 jaws with 9 opening, swivel base, and swiveling rear jaw.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate to admit they were right.

I'm not one to waste my time pondering things...

I'm in my shop now the Ward vise is perfect elbow level...the more versitile Versa Vice is about an inch over elbow level in the upright position...my work bench is 38 &3 /4" inches tall.

Maybe they can sleep better...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, do you have any resonance when filing or sawing with that vise mounted as you have?

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Page 8 of 32 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.