March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 32 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 31 32
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Columbian was my Grandfather's too, Ted. I'll send you the pic, which also shows what it is mounted on, a massive sawhorse type support made of I-beams. I could hit something in thats vise with an 8 lb. sledge hammer and the vise would not budge.

My post vise in my little shop is mounted on a steel support I welded up, consisting of a steel plate on top of three legs of 2" galvanized pipe which go through the wood floor and into the ground under the shop, around which are poured several bags of Sakrete. It doesn't budge, either.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan I believe you have Tedward beat for the biggest badest vice award....

Unlike Tedward you have a use for something like that.

Hard to believe that a guy asked about about a gunsmith vise and it goes to this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunmaker
Ted, do you have any resonance when filing or sawing with that vise mounted as you have?

Only "resonance Ted has is between his gums when they are flapping...

He uses his big vise for holding his clapped out bicycles while he turns the peddles...and for pushing in bearings and bushings in his Tedmobile classic car...

Teds biggest detail work is taking out the trash.

What Ted needs is one of them exercise bikes in his shop so he can peddle while he looks and his do nothing vise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When you know better than to shop at Lowes for tools, you can tackle projects like this:

Stahl T22 folder, rebuilt by me. Every bearing was pressed at my house in the vise. I didnt take pictures of how it was cribbed up to do that, because I was on the clock. Every bearing was in an aluminum boxing, and if you pressed with it cocked in a cheesy vise (like your Wards) you would break the boxing, and have to find a used one-they arent available from Stahl. Its OK for you to admit you wouldnt have any idea where to start, after all, you consider Lowes a tool store. Yes, that vise gets used for gun projects also, bike projects too. That is my point. The best vise allows you to do more, and do bigger and better work.

Ever built a wheel? Of course not. That takes talent:

That is a Sturmey Archer AM alloy hub. They were never available in a bicycle, you bought them over the counter. Just a handful made it to the US, it was considered a track hub.

The right vise lets you do more. I dont typically have a camera in the shop, might have to change that if itll shut you up, and keep you from posting nonsense about buying tools at Lowes.

I imagine you got the Snap On pliers at a garage sale.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

((((Ted you know your pictures with the "camera" suck for detail...Try taking them with a cell phone. I take your ol'lady does let you own a cell phone....))))

Back to subject line.

Tedward....nothing you have shown yet has anything to do with gunsmithing or hand detail work.

So you pressed in a few bearings and fixed a tire on yer Dinosaur clunker bike.

WhOOpy dOOpy dO Ted....

You do know they make presses made for pressing bearings.

Ps...I love the wobbly looking work bench....I see why you mounted your vise on a pipe sticking out of the floor....

Goes to figure you'd be into Tuperware storage.

Nice

Last edited by HomelessjOe; 11/02/19 11:15 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Big sale at Lowes.....

You need a vise for gun cleaning, and scrimshaw? Cause that is all you have posted crummy pictures of. What, you only have one arm?
Best be careful clamping on that Browning, the ribs let go just to be mean.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

That wheel going on yer TedmObile ?

I bet it'll look nice...what is it about a twenty six inch'r ?

Tip...

Might need a few more wheel spokes just in case you pick up a fAt girl in the TedmObile.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted's battle of the Dinosaur vises....I love it.

Nice looking shop Jim.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wheel is in a 1949 Sports Tourist. You couldnt figure out the wheel was being built?

Better hurry on down to Lowes, playa, they got some tools you need.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought it was going on the TedmObile.

You ever think about going on a bike fOrum so your talent could be appreciated ?

Ps...stay away from photography forums because your photo quality sUcks.

Here's the link I sent you in a PM Ted..... https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-bicycle-seat/264515336377

Even has a back rest and a cod catcher.

Page 10 of 32 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.