April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (R. Glenz, LGF), 248 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just last week, I did a bunch of reading on Fluid Film, but didn't see any references to using it as a black powder wad lube. But it sounds as if it does a great job protecting metal from rusting. I bought a gallon of it from Amazon for $43.00 shipped, and will be using it to spray the frame and underside of my car and truck. It is also used to protect machinery such as mower decks, brush-hogs, snowblowers, etc.

Fluid Film has a pretty good reputation, so I'm anxious to see how well it works. It is made mostly from lanolin, so one of the minor complaints is that it makes your vehicle smell like a wet sheep for several days. I'll have to save a little to try in my black powder guns, even though I am sold on Thompson Center Natural Lube. I know that you don't want any petroleum based lubes or oils anywhere near the bores of your black powder guns... unless you like chasing after-rust and corrosion.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have not tried Fluid Film under my truck...I'm sure it would help with salt corrosion.
At the end of salting season it would probably pay to set a water sprinkler under your truck for a day before applying it.

I usually buy Fluid Film in the pump spray can at the John Deere dealership it's alot thicker than the Fliud Film in the aresol cans.

For several years I've been put putting it on the battery terminals on my truck...seems to protect them pretty good no signs of corrosion so far.

LGF Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Thanks Joe, but perhaps I was not clear. I was referring to waxed hard card fiber wads https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Waxed-Hard-Card-3_8-200_bag/productinfo/38W/, which were recommended as better than soft fiber wads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd still use a Nitro card under it.

I believe Circle Fly had that same wad they worked really good...if he's still in business I'd support his small business.
I never cared for the cushion wads that looked like they were made out of hay.

In muzzleloading shotguns I tried just about every wad combination possible including plastic wads....

In the end nothing I tried shot any better than the old standard ...powder, hard nitro, lubed cushion wad, shot with an over shot card.

After I graduated to cartridge guns with choke this same wad combination loaded with blackpowder inside a hull proved to be just as effective.

There is a reason it became a standard.

Myself I could only stand being Johnny Cool for so long and graduated to low pressure loads in smokeless powder.

Funny thing when shooting smokeless out of the old Damascus guns there was a different ring, sound or something about them than they did when shot with black powder.

May sound crazy but blackpowder in Damascus made a more perfect sound to my ears.

Anyone else notice that sound or feel ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

A lot of the cowboy black powder shooters are using equal parts Murphy's oil soap, rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. It does a great job of cleaning the gun.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, is that liquid Crisco, or the pasty, lard, type ?

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have heard some soak their fiber wads in glycerin, but have not tried it myself.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Joe, is that liquid Crisco, or the pasty, lard, type ?

I use the "pasty lard type" works great. Lots of folks seem to make this a lot harder than they need to in my opinion.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used Fluid Film around the farm for many years. Better than penetrating oil and WD-40 for rusted bolts. I often heat them up first. It reacts with rust and protects from further rusting. I think it contains lanolin. Have not used it on gunstocks, but is great for tool and shovel handles, etc. I would not be without it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've not used it on wood...on farm tools I use boiled linseed oil on iron and wood.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.