March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ian Forrester, jake van dyke, Marc Ret, MattH, 2 invisible), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 32 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 31 32
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like the OP started by asking for opinions of the best general gunsmithing vise, but then quickly added a query for input on other types of vises.

Last night, I took a little inventory of my vises. I suppose that if I can use them for a gunsmithing type operation, then they could be considered here. In my opinion, there is no one single vise that is great for all things, just as I have different guns for different hunting or shooting activities. For example, a checkering cradle is a sort of specialized vise used to firmly hold long wooden gun stocks at different angles during checkering. You could clamp your stock in the padded jaws of a machinists vise, but it would be far from perfect for checkering.

In my shop, my most used vise is a 4" L.S. Starrett Model 924 Athol Vise that currently has a pair of 4 1/2" copper jaws installed, that were milled out for me by a tool and die-maker friend. It has a swivel base. Athol, Mass., U.S.A. made of course.

It's little brother, an L.S. Starrett Model 923 Athol Vise is on the workbench in my basement. It has a non-swivel solid base, and 3" jaws. These Starrett's are extremely well made. Then I also have a nice, heavy old Reed No. 204 1/2 swivel base vise with 4 1/2" jaws. On the steel plate top mounted on my Kennedy roll-around tool box is a U.S.A. made Columbian Model D55 with 5 1/2"jaws. A roll-around toolbox is hardly an immovable mount, but it is very handy and useful nonetheless.

A drill press is almost indispensable for gun work, and I have several drill press vises to hold the things I'm drilling. On the table of my Rockwell floor model drill press is a Heinrich Tools, Racine, Wisc. Model 20A 6" that opens to over 10". For smaller stuff, there is an unmarked 4" wide vise with a low profile that I believe came off of a milling machine.

On the table of my Delta bench drill press is an old Craftsman drill press vise, and I also have a well made 3 1/4" Japanese import with an X and Y axis crosslide. I also recently picked up a nice little homemade 2 1/2" drill press vise from a local guy who sells surplus tools and equipment for $2.00 a pound. It is well machined, and may have been a project done by an apprentice machinist or tool and die-maker. It was too cheap to pass up.

Then there's the cute little 2" machine vise that is made by American Edestal and came with my Unimat Lathe-Mill-Drill. It has come in handy for a number of small gunsmithing projects, and in this application, my big heavy Reed or Starrett just wouldn't be any use at all.

I also have a couple of those small clamp-on vises like Stan mentioned. The larger one is surprisingly well made and quite sturdy and heavy for it's 2 1/2" jaw width size, but it is unmarked. I'd say it is U.S. made judging by the quality. It belonged to my grandfather.

I have three Ridgid Pipe vises, and my Grandfather's old Reed pipe vise. Two are pretty large, and one is mounted on a Ridgid folding tripod stand. Then I also have a nice portable Ridgid chain vise.

Wait... there's more! I have a little Pana-Vise with a ball swivel. It is great for holding small parts, circuit boards, etc. at different angles during operations like soldering. I think it is made of die-cast aluminum, and it certainly isn't meant for hammering or blacksmithing type work. Then I have an unusual Stanley No. 700 woodworkers corner vise, a 7" Wilton woodworkers vise, and an unmarked 10" woodworkers vise.

Some other must-have gunsmithing vises that I have are several hand vises. These have fallen out of favor for some odd reason, so most are now collectible antiques. But they are as useful as ever. I have several pin vises too, for holding screws or pins during grinding or polishing. There are some hand vises pictured in Daryl's current "Tool Mystery" thread in the main shotgun forum.

A vise is no substitute for a blacksmith's anvil. I learned this the hard way when I broke a good vise years ago, hammering on something with a sledge hammer. When I wish to press bearings, etc., I use a press. I have a small Greenerd No. 1 Arbor press, a larger Dake No. 0 Arbor press, and a Blackhawk Hydraulic press that currently has a 10 ton ram cylinder, for those tasks.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few. I know there's some large imported monstrosity swiveling jaws Versa-type-vise-on-steroids on a shelf in my shed. I inherited a few of these vises. But my best purchase deals came from car parts swap meets and flea markets. Auctions can be good too if the crowd is small due to horrible weather... the best time to go to an outdoor auction is when it's so nasty that nobody wants to go... but the really nice vises typically get a lot of bidding activity, and sell quite high.

There are some great vises pictured in this thread. Even though I have more than enough vises, I still get vise envy.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #557889 11/06/19 05:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unlike a few here you are well vised...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Unlike a few here you well vised...

Admitting the problem is the first step.....good to see you make progress.

I have four vises, if you include the drill press vise. Baby, Momma and Papa vise. It would be tough to give up any, but, the big one still gets the most use.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

A fairer statement would be they all see little or no use.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A fairer statement would be they all see little or no use.

Fairer still, you dont know your ass from a hole in the fence.

Never have used a vise to clean a gun. Ever.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Who's fault is that Tedward ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Who's fault is that Tedward ?

That you don't know your ass from a hole in the fence?

Breeding, or, lack there of, I'm guessing.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Best of you ran down some hoes leg...

Just saying

Sidelock
Sidelock

Best of you ran down some hoes leg...

Just saying

Bet she had a better vise than you...

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

More grip...

Page 13 of 32 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.