March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tim in PA, steve voss, GSPWillie, Ted Schefelbein), 868 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good day gents! I've been musing about looking for a nice English single shot or double rifle in .360 Express 2 1/4" for deer hunting. Unfortunately, my locality has a max case length restriction of 1.800". How detrimental to the gun or accuracy would trimming the cases to 1.8" and shooting them out of a 2.25" chambered gun? There are very few English cartridges that fit my need, the .360 seems to be the closest. Is it a possibility or am I just dreaming

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

claycrusher,
It is possible, but I wouldn't shorten 360 cases. Use 30-30 cases shortened from 2.080" to 1.800" and load the bullets "out". A better and easier solution would be to buy a new .350 Winchester Legend AR 15.Tell Swallwell(?) you do hunt with an AR, regardless of what he says.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought a Remington 700 in .350 Legend and topped it with a nice Luepold. That's my utility rifle... but I could appreciate a fine English rifle on a nice day. I've thought about looking for a stocked action and rebarreling it, but haven't seen any for sale

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't load a tapered cartridge that short. If you're good with shooting lead bullets, I'd consider looking into breech seating the bullet out into the rifling and using a separate fire formed case with appropriate powder/charge. I suppose unless the hunting laws by you require fixed ammo, but I'd think it might be worth jumping through a hoop or two to hunt with the rifle that you'd prefer. Best of luck with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

craigd,
Of course you are absolutely correct, but using 30-30 cases would make case loss insignificant.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One other part of this joyous law is straight walled cases. Between 1.17 and 1.80 inches... lovely isn't it? smirk

I am unfamiliar with breech seating bullets- it would sound as if the bullet and case are loaded into the rifle separately? The case being loaded with powder only, and something to contain it?

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, the bullet and primed case with powder are loaded separately. Generally, the bullet, bore, throat, alloy, etc. are decently matched for the process, but it doesn't have to be.

If it were me, I'd consider trying what's called a plugged case, brass with a length of dowel in it. The idea would be to push the bullet into the rifling to whatever depth chosen when the plug is fully seated, maybe into the throat just ahead of the chamber.

The powder in the case does not need to be contained. If it were me, don't use any card or wadding. In a somewhat similar situation, I've use a layer of thin mylar tape over the case mouth, but a stopper in the case can be pulled off just before it's loaded in the rifle. If someone were inclined to, the muzzle could be tipped up to shift the powder back before the rifle is leveled off to fire.

I'd consider looking up, if I'm thinking of the right .360 2 1/4", breech seat loads for the 38-55, and maybe the 32-40 to get in the ball park. Who knows, maybe one of the 4227 powders would do the trick. There are other thoughts, but as mentioned earlier, if it were me, I'd look into options to get a classic rifle back out in the field.

Only guessing with the new info you provided, but to load a fixed cartridge in that chamber at 1.8 inches, chances are it would look like a bottle neck or at least heavily tapered. Anyway, best of luck with it.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.