March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (HalfaDouble, earlyriser, coosa, Marc Ret, Gunning Bird, Mills), 384 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, not your "pal" Bob-maybe Johnny. Darne engraving and metal finish are to shotguns what Dolly Parton is to Dianne Von Furstenberg!! RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 11/11/19 12:04 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox,
Im guessing you missed this, but, the engraving and metal finish displayed on the Darne in this post, were not done in France, and have nothing to do with the Darne company, or products of same.
Do try to pay attention.

Miller,
XT is a French tool steel that does allow for cyanide color case hardening. XTC is the chrome version of that steel. I seem to remember it was a through hardening tool steel, and did not allow for attractive colors in the cyanide process. The color produced on the exterior of XTC with the French grey process could be varied slightly depending on quench chemistry, and, was no more or less durable than normal case hardening colors.
Sometimes, customers asked that the grey be polished off. The guys used steel wool and gum erasers to do so. Otherwise, the parts got a coat of varnish, that does yellow with time.
I prefer the silver color left there, it is an attractive matte pewter color.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a nice one. I'm in the market for just the right one.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Best one Ive seen of late:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101324387

The ad with no price, the mis information about where the gun came from originally (Steve Barnett never imported Darne guns, and it is clearly marked Loren Thomas Ltd, which, was Wes Gilpin) and the lack of photos of the flats all tend to point to a dealer who you might want to keep an eye on, or, just not deal with. That gun was built before Paul Bruchet had permission to use the Darne name, and to label the guns as R and V models. A Bruchet marked A is a V model, a Bruchet marked B is an R, and just as soon as he got permission to use the Darne name, Paul did.
It is engraved to R15 level, (rosace) and was engraved by Guy Ripamonte. Nice wood, no mention of extras, but, exceptionally well finished. I love a checkered ebony buttplate on a French gun.
It wont be cheap. But, it might not sell for as much as Mr. dealer wants, and I dont care enough to find out what that amount might be.

Just right, or, just the right price?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101320253

Ive had my eye on this one for a bit. It is not a Darne, but, a clone, with some nice features. It has a bunch of miles on it, but, Id expect it functions just fine. The push button safety will be easier for a right handled individual to deal with, and it is a straight stocked sub gauge. The short chambers and sling swivels give you some leverage with the price, but, they dont bother me a bit on a hunting gun. The trigger pulls have a well deserved reputation for being stout. I have beat the price of a Darne down on trigger pulls, and then just taken the gun apart and fixed it.
Id offer about $500 and see what happened. I dont need it. Maybe you do.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Just right, though I don't intend to overpay either.

Just right is 12 or 16 gauge, 2.75", choked IC/M, 6# or less, pistol or semi-pistolgrip, 26-28" barrels, with reasonable drops and LOP, and easy on the eyes. Intended for pheasant loads, not a grouse or quail gun.

It doesn't have to be a Darne, but they interest me, and they tend to run lighter than many others. Pistol-grip guns in those gauges, if English, seem to rarely be in the sub 6 pound range. There was someone here on the forum who sold a Darne on GB in the last few months. THAT gun would do, and I bid all I had at the time, but lost. I could and would bid considerably more now for that same gun.

Last edited by BrentD; 11/12/19 09:57 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
That is a nice one. I'm in the market for just the right one.

I can see you wanting a Darn'e....

Sidelock
Sidelock

A 2 3/4" 12 weighing less than 6 lbs? Intended for pheasant loads?

Hey, did I ever tell you the story of my detached retina?

I've never measured bores on a Darne that made me uncomfortable with the notion of letting the chambers out to 2 3/4", from 65mm.
I could run standard, 2 3/4" loads happily in a Darne 12 or 16 at 65mm, the rest of my life, as well.

Most of what appears out there is junk, but, you already knew that. Take your time.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Indeed, recoil might be a bit stiff, but it's not like we shoot a lot when pheasant hunting. A bird per every couple of miles is about it, especially late in the season when I really want a light gun. Of course, one can always download for shooting clays a bit.

Logically however, I think a 16 is more likely than a 12, exp in a nonDarne.

Yes, there is lots of junk. Some is easy to spot some is not. Darnes being new to me are especially difficult that way. That's why I was asking about the vivid cyanide colors on some low end Darnes. They look suspiciously refinished, often where the wood meets the metal also.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

It doesn't have to be a Darne, but they interest me, and they tend to run lighter than many others. Pistol-grip guns in those gauges, if English, seem to rarely be in the sub 6 pound range. There was someone here on the forum who sold a Darne on GB in the last few months. THAT gun would do, and I bid all I had at the time, but lost. I could and would bid considerably more now for that same gun.

English pistol grips are not very common - and when fitted are usually on 'heavy duty' style guns (such as pigeon guns), and often combined with a single trigger. Prince of Wales (virtually a half pistol) grip are more common on lighter guns, but most light guns have a straight stock and double triggers.

I have a Darne in 12 g - a whisker under 6 lbs - and it kicks like a mule even with a 3/4 oz load. I respect the engineering and enjoy the eccentricity, but to use, a light basic English boxlock (about 6 1/4 lbs) is a nicer and economical proposition,

As I'm sure you are aware - many light English guns are only 2 1/2" chambers, which may be a bit more hard to find in the USA (easy here in the UK).

Sidelock
Sidelock

2 1/2 shells are not that hard to to find here. Bit more pricey. But its fairly easy to have ammo shipped to most locations. What is harder is knowing what pressure they are loaded to here. But most specialty loaders will share that information if you contact them. Most of us just reload which is very easy to do these days.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.