March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, HalfaDouble, dogon, Ian Forrester, Mills, 1 invisible), 551 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent not sure why you'd entertain the thought of wanting one of those ill designed Fwench clunckers.

Ps...Notice how Stanley and Teddy have buddied up ?

Stan fArts...Ted runs in to get him a whiff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Go pound on your parrot vise....'till you break it.

Again.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you totally lost it Ted ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not even close, clown boy.

Ill bet you never have even shot a Darne, never owned one, likely never have even seen one, outside of a picture, but, here you are, running your mouth about them.

I think you are lost.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I felt a Darne one time that was enough for me....

Felt kinda like one of them Mossburgz.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I felt a Darne one time that was enough for me....

Felt kinda like one of them Mossburgz.

Only you could make that jump. But, per usual, you prove my point.

Never owned one. Never had one apart. Never used one.

But, still running your yap like you have done it all.

Just a mouth, with a keyboard.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent,
This one might fit your needs:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=100942529

Couple things I noticed. Weight, or, lack there of, fits your needs. The seller has the gun listed as a 2 1/2 chamber gun, but, it was clearly proofed at 70mm or, 2 3/4. Considering the barrels have a swamped rib, and, an under rib, which mounts the forward swivel, a 5 pound 14 1/2 oz weight is remarkable. It is a modern 1909 patent R, same gun that is built today, and the safety can be relocated to the other side of the breech block, something you cant do on a V gun, or, an 1894 patent R model, most of the clones fall into that category. Nice wood, Im not in love with pistolet stocks, but, some guys prefer them. A 12, at that weight, that still has an original, but, shrunken buttplate, is a rare find. I would have Geoffrey put checkered ebony on, using the original, engraved screws, spendy, but so worth it. It is an R13 grade, and you get the styled stock mounting, and obturator discs, although it doesnt have a horn or ebony tip on the front, that wouldnt bother me one way or another. It has swivels installed, a plus to my way of thinking. Ive carried an old dog out of the woods more than once, and an old person, one time. Good chance the LOP might be a little short for clays work in a T shirt, you will forget all about that once you are wearing a parka, and/or layers of Filson. The chokes listed on the gun are tighter than you wanted, but, Id run some felt wad English loads through the gun to see what I had before I messed with opening them. The bores of that gun were polished lengthwise, and those chokes are likely 6-9 beautiful inches in length, and wont be improved.
James Wayne is one of those dealers that I question if he ever actually sells a gun, and this one has been listed a long time. I dont know if he will negotiate on price, and all that I can tell you for sure on the price he has listed is, you wont be able to resell the gun for that.

As you laid it out, this one is about the best Ive seen.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
Indeed, that is the best I've seen since the one that was sold by a forum member a few months ago on GB. It would have been the perfect gun for today which was a bit more than 9km of marching in medium-tall grass for no shots fired. Nice walk, except for yet another skunk incident.

I can live with those chokes easily for now, and might only open the right side if I did do anything. I definitely would shoot it a bit and pattern it before I did anything. Edited to say that it appears that the choke designation has been restamped over something that I can't quite make out. Doesn't really look like it is a 70 on top of a 65, but it is definitely restamped

The metal looks like it has something on it. Dried oil perhaps. Hard to say. But not an issue. Looks like it will clean. Very nice wood-metal fit which often seems to be an issue with these for some reason. The buttstock appears to straddle a graft line perhaps. But it is attractive enough for me.

What are those sunken ribs like for shooting? The drop at the heel is not great, but I think it is doable. Maybe the sunken rib accommodates for some of that height.

Why would the buttplate be shrunken like that? Sure is odd. I would definitely do something to replace it, depending on the LOP. I will not be too worried about t-shirting for clays in the summer. Though I'll probably do it once or twice. Heavy jackets and vests will be the rule, when it goes into action.

Your comment about the reversible trigger is interesting. Does it take replacement parts or can the mechanism just be reversed somehow? And how does the safety work? Sliding horizontally or does it pivot downward? I might like it as it is. I sometimes bump my tang safety on my Greener FP40. That is not a good thing at all, so I am constantly double checking my safety's position.

I agree that it could not resell for that sort of money. While it is in my comfort zone dollar wise, it lacks the engraving and wood figure that I would expect at that price point. I will think about what I would give for it, and then probably make an offer. That is definitely in the ballpark of what I've been looking for.

Thanks for the link. I don't know how I missed seeing this before.
Brent

Last edited by BrentD; 11/16/19 10:26 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent,
I have seen stampings that look sloppy in the past. That is, often enough, because proof house workers are not craftsman, actually they are perfunctory government employees. Most Darne guns built since WWII are 70mm chamber guns, and more then one of them was marked 65. It happens.
Measure them. Id wager they are 70. If not, send it back, or, deal with it. It is not a big deal to make that gun work, at either chamber length. It received French triple proof when it was new, the exact, same proof anything with a 3 chamber received after 1964. You arent going to hurt it.
The original buttplates that are marked Darne, like that one, are a bizarre organic plastic that involves petroleum and horse hooves, among God knows what other chemistry. They shrink, over time. All of them. There are ureathane replacements available, stateside, that duplicate the look without the color styrations in the originals, that wont shrink. If you are that guy, go that route. I was thinking that gun was mid 1950s, buttplates on Darne guns are a maintenance item when they get that old.
I told you what I would do. Recoil pad is another option.
The metal has the remnants of the varnish that was applied to protect the French grey hardening. It strips right off in a 5 minute bath of lacquer thinner. Ive stripped some, recoated some after stripping, and actually shot my R10 with Brownells baking lacquer. All depends on what you want, and the simplest option is just leaving it alone. It effects very little.
I love a swamped rib. The sight picture is just the bead floating out there in space, no rib to view. That said, not everybody loves them, and I honestly think a raised rib works better for most guys on any clays course. But, I think the swamped rib is the cats meow in cover, after birds. Ive never shot a grouse on a clays course. You get to draw your own conclusions.
The trigger is not reversible. The safety, is. It is a simple matter, usually, and requires no spare parts, just a guy like Geoffrey or JJ, or, me. There can be some complications, but, if you know what you are doing they just slow you down, and add a bit to the bill. The safety, over on the left, is on safe when pointed down, and is flicked forward (it rotates)to take it off safe. There is a spring that keeps some tension on it. You can use the lever as a safety also. More talk about that if you get closer. The safety is a pain in the ass. The guys who quit using Darne guns do so over the safety. The guys who keep using a Darne, adapt, because they want to shoot a Darne. You will figure out which one of those guys you are. Guys who are left handed, (me, Dustin) wonder what all the fuss is about.

You have my sympathy on the skunk thing. My Mother owned an Irish Setter show dog that would hunt, and he found, fought, was sprayed by, and killed every skunk he met in his 10 years on earth, maybe two dozen. Every time he got his head wet, his entire life, I faintly smelled skunk. He found a lot of birds, also.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I detested the safety on my Halifax (ala Darne). An article appeared in the Rifleman some years ago on how to switch it to the other side so I did the needed conversion. While the safety was inconvenient to operate with the thumb I "Personally" found it even more so to operate with the trigger finger, so turned it back around. I eventually made an entirely new safety for it with the lever set at a different angle which is better, but still not ideal.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.