March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, earlyriser, Gunning Bird), 497 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#558286 11/14/19 09:32 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looks to be etched in the bluing

Sidelock
Sidelock

My guess would be a roll stamp?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it is Silver inlay.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The silver colored inlay on the rib looks to be etched, there's a etching technique that used special masking medium and the lettering was done with a typewriter.

Looking at the lettering it looks very much like it was typed by an old typewriter, (look up Etch O Matic for an idea), then a silver or platinum wash.

Respectfully

Mike

Last edited by Mike Hunter; 11/14/19 10:01 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, I think it is deeper than a wash. I have restored several barrels with silver lettering and they have held up well to polishing.

Hopefully an engraver will come along and tell us how it's done.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Its a silver inlay .Shows up as the black will not colour it .

A roller or stamp would distort the rib due to the pressure it would need.
These inlays were never very deep and did have a tendency to come out espesialy when strippingand relaying so some did get filled with tin as a cheap way of repair .

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a commercial etching system, .010 depth is not an issue (deeper than many roll marks).

Just going thru plausible and period correct processes.

Clearly the markings on the barrels were engraved, then barrels were rust blued. They needed a quick way of marking the winner’s name.

Roll Stamp? Not practical for a one off, and it would take quite a bit of time, remember, most period roll dies were hand engraved.

Engraved? Very possible, but the marking looks too uneven for it to be engraved, they are not exactly in line, and the letters really don’t look sharp enough to be engraved.

In my mind it really looks like an etch, notice that it kind of looks “smeared or cloudy; very evident on the “C”, the “O” and top of the “N”, which an etch would produce, especially if you don’t have the stencil tight against the metal. The spacing and lack of perfectly straight lettering is very reminiscent of pre WWII typewriters.

An etch would be a very quick and practical way of putting the winner’s name in place after an event, could really be done while the winner waited. If properly done the stenciled etch would only burn thru the bluing where marked, so the bluing would not have to be redone.

The fact that the lettering looks bright and not tarnished, makes me think it something other than silver. On Winchester 1 or 500 and 1 of 1000 they used platinum inlays on the bands, also platinum was used quite a bit on sights. Pre computers and semiconductors, there wasn’t a lot of uses for platinum, and it was actually cheaper than gold and didn’t tarnish like silver

Just a thought

Sidelock
Sidelock

Usually the simple silver inlay of engraved lettering and done before the rust blue.
Fine Silver (.99) is used. Nice to work with and not the usual annoying quick tarnishing coating that Sterling will get.
Though Fine silver will tarnish some as well.

Cut & under-cut (dovetail the edges) the lettering just as you would as if they were to be inlayed with Gold,,or Copper,,or Brass or Platinum.

Carefully tap the silver wire pieces into place. Many times you can 'run' a piece of wire around corners of a letter so you don't have to cut it and restart again, butting the two ends against each other.
Even so, the soft metals will swage together seemlessly if carefully done. The first method is a bit of a time saver.
Inlaying lettering can be time consuming especially some styles.

This simple Block Lettering is about as simple as it gets.
All the same width (cut with one flat graver of a single width). No little caps & serifs to undercut and inlay (and keep straight and even!)

Platinum can be used if you absolutely don't want any tarnish. The color will be a bit less than the bright white of silver in most cases but not enough to tell in lettering.
The biggest draw-back in Platinum for the engraver is that it's much harder than silver or gold (or brass or copper) and any of their annealed states) and difficult to work with when compared to the others.
Price wise, it's now more $$ than 24k gold, but in times past was less I understand. I think aluminum was too at one time.

Simply flowing tin into the cut lettering will also get you 'inlayed' lettering. No under-cutting needed as it's soldered in place.
The metal is polished off just as the excess from the engraved & inlayed process is done leaving you with the flush inlay.

Rust blue won't both any of these but the carding process, especially a carding wheel can rough up the polished surface of a soft metal like gold or silver.
It will then take on a very dull look as the rust blue process is continued and when completed is sometimes quite dark and has almost a tarnished look.
Steel wool or thistle carding around and on the inlays avoids this.
Sometimes inlays that are to be detailed like animals and other figures are left smooth but final shaped. Then the rust blue is done. Then the final details are completed.

That so as not to destroy the hours of tedious detailing work on the inlay(s) with a carding wheel.
That can make for a very unhappy engraver.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently purchased platinum at a price lower than gold by a good bit, much to my surprise. I have used platinum often over the years and it is indeed harder to inlay than the other metals you mention Kutter. I did finally learn that you have to anneal platinum at 2300 degrees (hotter than a propane torch), which melts at 3000 degrees, and it is nicer to inlay but work hardens with the first hit so must be set with that firs hit (meaning the area directly under the punch or you get to start over redoing the cavity and annealing the wire.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting, but those letters aren’t inlayed, you can see the striations on the ribs through the letting.

Last edited by RARiddell; 11/14/19 06:03 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.