April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use my own mix of 1/3 water, 1/3 hydrogen peroxide, 1/3 dish soap. I run patch between shots followed by dry patch.

Happy shooting

Rich

Sidelock
Sidelock

We're talking shotguns not rifles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

... But if we were talking about black powder rifles, I certainly would not use dish detergent to clean my bore. Once upon a time, before I knew better, I used detergents and hot water to clean my barrels. Then I dried them thoroughly and wiped them with good gun oil. And if I didn't use the gun for several months, I always had after-rusting in my bores.

Then I learned that petroleum based lubes are bad to use with black powder guns. I switched to Thompson Center Natural Lube, which works on the same principle as seasoning a cast iron skillet. After working to get a cast iron skillet properly seasoned, the last thing you want to do is remove that seasoning with strong detergents. Ditto for brass brushes. Now I do a good cleaning with cotton patches and hot water, dry thoroughly, and lube my bore with the same Thompson Center Natural Lube that I use for a patch and bullet lube. I haven't seen a trace of after-rusting in the approximately 20 years since I switched.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't use it either I just figured since he was talking about running it between shots that he was talking about a rifle...as big as a shotgun bore is I never saw the need to run anything down the bore between shots.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wet wipes, baby-wipes, etc, the pre-wetted, soapy towelettes in a can work spectacularly well for cleaning blackpowder guns. I use the Chlorox brand usually. The individual wipes are actually a plastic I believe, but that makes them tough. Pushing one through on a brush works very well when cleaning a BP rifle or shotgun. I typically will run one or two between rounds of trap, for instance or at the end of a day of hunting before heading home.

But most of the time for final cleaning, I simply use normal patches and water. Detergents or soaps are unnecessary. They won't hurt a thing, but just one more thing to clean out before oiling.

The, dry well and lube with normal gun oils. Works every time.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like to take baby wipes in a zip lock bag with me hunting....they work great if you get some blood on yer hands or some crap on yer arse.

Have no intentions of ever using them or Clorox wipes on a firearm.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have some rendered bear grease that I am planning on using to season a blackpowder rifle, if I can ever squeeze some time in to actually do it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Save the seasoning for your steaks. Seasoning rifle barrels is one of the great myths of the internet.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD

The, dry well and lube with normal gun oils. Works every time.

I don't believe its a myth that black powder and petroleum based oils don't go well together.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Believe what you want Frank.

Personally, I and all the other serious, international long-range muzzleloader competitors could not care less what you believe.

In the meantime all of us will continue to use what works best.

_________

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.