April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lawrence Kotchek, SKB, Jimmy W, Mark Larson, UncleKP, 1 invisible), 378 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,810
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm pretty familiar with an example where a seller knew an FFL transfer was not required, but they insisted it was shipped to a dealer. On the receiving end, in a different state, the dealer just handed it over. If it's interesting enough, it's okay to jump through some hoops, but most times I'd just move on and not give it a second thought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SamW
I just had an ATF inspection and the agent stated that pre 1899 guns do not need to go into the record book...AS LONG AS...they have not been altered, such as new wood, finish, etc. YMMV.

This is proof that even some BATF Agents do not understand the law. The law is the law. It is passed by Congress, and signed into law by the President. The law is printed word for word in the Congressional Record. Terms such as "Antique Firearm" are specifically defined. You will not find anyplace within the law that states what this misinformed agent told you.

But if this was indeed true, it would certainly add great importance to maintaining and confirming original finish... as if that would even be possible.

By the way, did this agent happen to photograph your Bound Ledger Books while he was conducting his inspection? I'm just curious about how prevalent that particular illegal behavior might be.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 256 Newton rifle is a Modern firearm in NYS and should be transfered on a 4473/NiCS.
CAliber has nothing to do with it.
NYS followes Fed regs and deffinitions when dealing with Long guns

A pre 1899 12ga shotgun in NYS is recognized as an 'Antique Status' firearm under Fed Regs. and does not need to be transfered with a 4473/Nics (though most FFL will require that paperwork to do so, their house,,their rules).

Handguns chambered for a cartridge 'No longer manufactured in the USA or available in normal trade channals' are not subject to Registration on a NYS Pistol Permit.

That statement is often thought to mean Antique Status' handguns of pre 1899 mfg (old and odd calibers) but it also includes Modern Mfg (post 1899) mfg handguns also of odd chamberings.
If the odd chambered, no ammo around handgun happens to be a Post 1899 mfg , it would still require a 4473/Nics as it's a modern firearm (Fed reg). There's no regualtion about lack of ammo gets you a free paperwork ride on a purchase.

The grey area is the wording 'Not available in normal trade channels'
With the availablilty of the internet, most anything is available and a UPS shipment away from either you or an FFL these days. Old stock ammo is still out there, so the chances of nothing being available are slim.
It really comes down to if you have some in your possession along with the handgun I'd think, but I'm not lawyer.
That's what they've done with the muzzle loading handguns. No registration needed. 'Unless the necessary components to load and fire the handgun are in possession of the owner'.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As a former FFL holder I was advised it was my responsibility(and legal obligation) when transferring a firearm to comply with Federal Law and the local law within the recipients State/Local jurisdiction. The examples of confusion with New York give you and idea of why I would prefer to ship to a dealer in New York rather than direct. I operated in Wisconsin
but had clients in Illinois. Several Ill. sub jurisdictions had their own more restrictive requirements. For Illinois purchasers my policy was. Drive to my shop, fill in the 4473.-Back Ground Check,if approved, come back 48+hours later (Ill. requirement)pick up the gun, complete extra section on 4473. take the gun away. - OR - Let me ship it to your local FFL for $25 shipping charge

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.