March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Roundsworth, GSPWillie, LeFusil, 2 invisible), 307 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What is the best method of cleaning up the interior of an old oak and leather case?

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Vacuum! Maybe upholstery cleaner?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Better start with the not so good news, if the case lining is wool Baize wool is notorious for absorbing stains that will not come out. That said there are some simple methods of cleaning to improve the look of the internal case lining.
Initial warning dont use water based products because if the case is a vintage one the internal lining will be stuck on with animal based glue usually 'Pearl' type, also wool based cloth is notorious for shrinking if it gets wet.
For an initial all over clean I brush Bicarbonate of Soda into the Baize surface using a tooth brush, dont be mean use a goodly amount. Leave case closed for three days then using a Vacuum cleaner remove the powder.
Another product is the shake and Vacuum carpet cleaning product that also works well BUT!!! it leaves the case smelling like a lady of horizontal entertainments boudoir for months and months.
For dark type oil staining Bread saturated with a solvent (my go to first is cellulose thinners) placed in contact with the stain, as the solvent evaporates it draws the oil and dirt out of the cloth into the bread. With care the bread can be folded over the case partitions, also saturated rag application of Cellulose thinners works well for a quick all over clean. Dry cleaning fluids used on a saturated cloth can be used though I do recommend using outdoors only, I only know one brand name 'Perclone' though there are others, these types of solvents are extremely difficult to purchase here due to the glue sniffing craze, though things may be different on your side of the pond.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Now, THAT is a lot of useful information!

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Leaves the case smelling like a lady of horizontal entertainments bedchamber"--Two ??'s pop up, old chap: (1) How would a gentleman know that odor, or is it odour in "Limeyspeak?

(2)- Are there any other "positions" employed other than that? For example, as Camelot and King Artie's Court once ruled in your fair isles- the couplet follows on this line-- "In days of old (olde) when Knights were bold, and ladies not so particular, they'd line them up against the wall, and bang'em perpendicular!"

Cheers- and words of wisdom, if I may along this most "saucy" topic-- "Once a King, always a King, but once a Knight- is usually enough." RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Palunc,

I have used something similar to damascus. An over the counter upholstery/ furniture product that goes on moist, stays on the surface, for a day or or multi applications, dries, and vacuums off. worked well on old baize w/ out damaging fabrics, which was well worn. it was available last i checked on amazon. i purchased mine at a furniture upholstery shop who used it to clean...

small smudges can be removed with tape, gently pressed and lifted off quickly, if baize is in fairly good condition.

how do we reproduce that old case aroma, a mixture of rangooon oil, old youngs 303, , and ?

good luck.

Last edited by susjwp; 11/17/19 09:21 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well here is me thinking that I am communicating with gentlemen of the world? I may have to re think that! All I can say is that for my first quarter century on this planet was born and brought up
at the time in one of England's busiest west facing sea ports namely Liverpool and yes I do have a Liverpool Accent still. A city looked over by two large birds that sit on the Liver Buildings, one to keep an eye on who is coming to the city and the other to see if the pubs are open. Now living my formative years less than a mile away from the docks in an area that you could purchase literally any item or service lets say my education in life was not left at all wanting. Members of my pier group earned a living where they could girls one way boys growing up with only one thought in their heads 'if it isn't nailed down it is mine. Just for completeness Liverpool has the oldest Chinese settlement in Europe so lets say the smell of Opium burning is not unknown to me though it gives you a dam bad headache. Places of horizontal entertainment lets just say there was one on the corner of the street where I lived.
I will quickly pass over the rest of the fun times to when I was earning a living starting in the electrical trade. And of course things changed with the times including houses of horizontal entertainment, they now went as far as electrical door entry and the all seeing entrance door cameras fitted hard working Electricians like my self. So you how did I know what a lady of horizontal entertainment boudoir smells like well you did have to place the door unlock push switch and monitor in a convenient place in the room. And as for the smell at the time mostly Lavender and yes I did chat to the ladies and it went as far as a cup of Opium of the masses, Tea with them, and how many call bells and monitors did I fit far to many to remember. Just to get things in perspective I have worked in Abattoirs, Car plants, and every thing in between them.

Ernie.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Pier" groups for port cities like Liverpool. ey wot?? Home of the Beetles- the "Fab Four" at least until Johnnie Boy Lennon "took one for the team" in the infamous Dakota Hotel area- a while back. Now Paulie McCartney is a "Sir"--

Shifting over to Downton Grabby-- a "Peer" is usually found listed in Burkes's register-- House of Lords, etc.-- tad bit of different distinction. My only visits to any houses of "Lavender" scent occured during my service in the USMC-- TDY at Roosevelt Roads Naval Base in Puerto Rico-- trips to San Juan and the infamous Red Light sectors- yessir, they had red carpeting, a piano player in the parlor playing some great Scott Joplin Ragtime stuff- long time ago now--

Does recall to mind a joke- Northwoods lumber camp has a raffle- top prize being a week-end in Regina, all expense paid visit to the top "Sporting House" of that queenly city in Canada-- Big Swede wins the prize, when he drags himself back to camp late Sunday evening- his pals ask him- "Hey, Swede, so how was it?" "Ya, sure, OK there" replies the winner- But the damn piano was way outta tune, Ya?"" RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox any chance of a translation!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Regina, SK is on the prairie. I know nothing of 'sporting houses' there, but there sure as heck are no forests for lumberjacks to frequent...Geo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.