September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Who's Online
11 registered (james-l, Cameron, Cobbhead, Hal, kopkai, 1 invisible), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13885 Members
10 Forums
34799 Topics
488070 Posts

Max Online: 462 @ 08/05/16 09:13 PM
Page 44 of 52 < 1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 51 52 >
Topic Options
#560680 - 12/18/19 09:18 PM Re: E.M. Reilly; History; Chronology; Serial Numbers [Re: Argo44]
LeFusil Offline
Sidelock

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By: Argo44
Dustin, I'll answer that like I did the "where are their ranges" or "did they produce military guns" questions relying on 19th century sources not 20th century opinion. By the way, you haven't answered one of the questions I've asked of you. I taken note of your objections, now please give it a rest and give me liberty to continue the research.

Give you the liberty to continue your research? Did I take it away from you? When did that happen? My goodness, if I ever took away your liberty, I’m extremely sorry!! I had no idea I ever took it from you in the first place. Well....I’m as confused as ever.

You’re seriously asking me to give it a rest? Really? Isn’t that rich.
You literally post here almost every day. On the same topic. Same gunmaker referenced even if it’s someone else post on guns not related to Reilly’s. I don’t think I’m the one that needs to “give it a rest”. Gene, you should seriously take some time off, enjoy your family and the holidays. Staying up till 2 am worrying about what someone post on here or disagrees with you on isn’t healthy let alone sane.
Take it easy man...breathe deep, exhale slow. Everything will be ok. Have a great Holiday season.

#560683 - 12/18/19 09:37 PM Re: E.M. Reilly; History; Chronology; Serial Numbers [Re: Argo44]
Argo44 Offline
Sidelock

Loc: McLean, Virginia
Thanks Dustin. It's 9:30 PM here...at the age of 75 I've gone back on contract once again. If I post late at night it usually means I'm abroad - and I've spent 25 out of the last 50 there. And if I comment on other makers' guns, it's only because I have compiled a database of every extant Reilly and think there might be something in those serial numbered guns, which I've now been able to date, which might be relevant. That's it.

This line is about Reilly. When I find something I put it here and synthesize later. Try not to be so angry...I'll be answering your questions and I pay attention to disagreements and logical arguments - for a historian those are important - you have to be able to defend your thesis. and Merry Christmas. Gene

Glad you noticed the position on Oxford Street of Reilly and Purdey...now that was subject of mistakes by virtually every 20th century author. So something comes out of this.

(Edit: For those who think it took a massive building to be called a "factory," take a look at Purdey's building at renumbered 287-289 Oxford St. - it housed the manufactory, the retail spaces and the office. It was about the same size as Reilly's second building 277 Oxford Street.)

Edit: Oh by the way...on that Gavin Gardiner "Reilly action" I got up because I was just plain excited not because of some post. You see...it wan't me who identified it as a "Reilly action"...nor was it Gavin....it was the consigner and the consigner insisted on it being so identified in the auction. Why? There had to be a story behind it ...there was history behind this sale - one can smell it - (Who made it? Where - Birmingham or London? When and why was it acquired? by whom?) and I hope Gavin will ultimately put me in contact with the consigner for that story.

Edited by Argo44 (02/02/20 10:02 PM)

#560685 - 12/18/19 10:26 PM Re: E.M. Reilly; History; Chronology; Serial Numbers [Re: Argo44]
Steve Helsley Offline
Sidelock

Argo44,
I share your level of passion but for the guns of William Powell.
From my corner of the world please know that I appreciate all
your technical posts.

Larry Shelton, the author of California Gunsmiths: 1846 to 1900
and J.P Clabrough was my shooting partner until he passed last
November. No new discovery about our passions was too small
to hurriedly share with each other. I miss him.

#560706 - 12/19/19 10:01 AM Re: E.M. Reilly; History; Chronology; Serial Numbers [Re: LeFusil]
HomelessjOe Offline
Sidelock

Loc: The Great State of Tennessee
Originally Posted By: LeFusil

You’re seriously asking me to give it a rest? Really? Isn’t that rich.
You literally post here almost every day. On the same topic. Same gunmaker referenced even if it’s someone else post on guns not related to Reilly’s. I don’t think I’m the one that needs to “give it a rest”. Gene, you should seriously take some time off, enjoy your family and the holidays. Staying up till 2 am worrying about what someone post on here or disagrees with you on isn’t healthy let alone sane.
Take it easy man...breathe deep, exhale slow. Everything will be ok. Have a great Holiday season.

It's long past a Reilly obsession....it's become a Reilly demonic possession.

#560737 - 12/19/19 07:55 PM Re: E.M. Reilly; History; Chronology; Serial Numbers [Re: Argo44]
Argo44 Offline
Sidelock

Another new label:

This is from Holts 2 Jan unsold lots...it's from the case of a pistol:
Lot 2121: A CASED 30-BORE PERCUSSION BELT-PISTOL SIGNED REILLY, MODEL 'SIDEHAMMER BOXLOCK', no visible serial number, with signed octagonal 3 1/2in. barrel, engraved radiused sidehammer action with guarded trigger, chequered bag-shaped grip and captive ramrod, in a later wood case with accessories.

Note the first use of "Reilly" and the experiment with the wavy lines which carried forward to later Reilly labels; The "Gun Maker" font carrying over from the earlier label, and the first experiment with a slanted font "London." It's all pretty "cartoonish"...and the ad says a "later" case so it's possible this was someone's personal art to recreate the label - (if so pretty damned neat) - but I believe it's possible this was a transition label between the "J.C. Reilly" "Removed from Holborn" "business card" label pictured on two guns from 1847 and 1848

....and the new label with the sketch of 502 New Oxford street the earliest of which is found on the case of an 1851 Adams revolver:

I'll be updating the label cheat sheet on p.34...two new labels found in two months....both transition labels that add a lot. There are always things to uncover.

Edit: This from Holts about the label -
"Hi Gene, I do believe it is a homemade drawing which as you say is pretty well done but I don’t think genuine."
(signed) Josh Pover, Gun Room, Holt's Auctioneers)
Josh <josh@holtsauctioneers.com>

(yet I keep wondering...might this be EM's original art for his idea of what was to become the Reilly 1849 label? Far fetched...but possible. If objects could talk)

Edited by Argo44 (01/09/20 09:09 PM)

#560751 - 12/19/19 10:58 PM Re: E.M. Reilly; History; Chronology; Serial Numbers [Re: Argo44]
Argo44 Offline
Sidelock

About 20 pages ago I commented that Reilly stocks and engraving were almost instantly recognizable to me (being a Reilly historian and having looked at every extant Reilly). Just to demonstrate...and this doesn't mean squat intellectually - just artistically...it just looks very familiar..
. . . . . .16765 (1871) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The un-serial-numbered Reilly made for Oakes & Co., Madras circa 1890 (pictured above)

And yes...the engraving along with the elegance and wood of the stocks and the gun balance do indeed identify a "Reilly house style" (as much as can be attributed to a gun maker that built as many different types and calibers of guns as Reilly did in the 1860's) as was commented on by several writers. It's not quantifiable...but it is an artistic judgement.

Edited by Argo44 (02/07/20 11:13 PM)

#561419 - 12/28/19 12:39 PM Re: E.M. Reilly; History; Chronology; Serial Numbers [Re: Argo44]
Argo44 Offline
Sidelock

====================================================================
2000+ hours of research.

Work is currently being conducted on British census records, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1891, primarily, going through the London census manually which is taking some time. However, as the new year approaches here is what has been accomplished by this line over the last four years. Afterwards will move the three most important posts for most dealers and owners distilling:
1) the dating of Reilly trade/case labels,
2) the working, dated list of Reilly Serial Numbered extant guns, and
3) the latest version of the New History of Reilly - regularly up-dated, modified since it was published in Diggory Hadoke's on-line magazine.

Partial list of methodology and accomplishments:
-- Extant SN gun list: First, a list of extant Serial Numbered guns was compiled and difference between non serial number - serial numbered, long guns- hand guns understood, address/names on ribs recorded, patent use numbers noted, characteristics of each gun marked. etc.
-- Product list/dates: All Reilly advertisements and mentions in contemporary newspapers from 1825 to 1922 were gone over, new products noted and their dates, changes in names, addresses, references to their use, etc., including all Reilly exhibits at international exhibitions.
-- Shop locations/dates: Correct addresses, time periods of occupation and photos of Reilly shops and workshops in London and Paris were compiled and published - using primary sources from the 19th century - which including understanding the geography of 19th century London and Paris and the location of competitors.
-- Dating guns: Extant guns were dated using "marker dates" and the list was corroborated by "sanity checks," patent dates (researched extensively and compiled), dates on advertisements, etc.
-- Reilly labels: A library of Reilly trade/case labels was compiled and ultimately dated as best it can be.
-- General history written: Once this was understood, a general history of the firm was published correcting errors in every published account of Reilly over the last 75 years.

Note: this began as an ambitious attempt to create a chart year-by-year from 1825 on detailing what was happening to Reilly, Serial numbers, labels, family history, guns made, general UK history, history of the UK gun industry, melding in European history, metallurgy, advancements in patents...sort of a horizontal "what's happening" historical very-visual record that proved to be impossible to sustain or to create something that could actually be understood.

(I didn't have the talent....if anyone wants to read the greatest such effort in the world of historical scholarship...take a look at these thin, beautiful edited, map-centric books by Colin McEvedy - they are all one needs to understand Western History, society, culture, influence and should be in every library:

https://www.amazon.com/New-Penguin-Atlas-Ancient-History/dp/0140513485
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books...avid-woodroffe/
https://www.amazon.com/Penguin-Atlas-Modern-History-1815/dp/0140511539
https://www.amazon.com/New-Penguin-Atlas...XMHG2EA2BT9Z2SX

And along the way these topics were extensively researched:
-- Gun making under license: Reilly building guns under license from other patent holders such as Wesley-Richards, etc. was studied.
-- UK Patents and patent use numbers: A list of prominent UK patents used on historical UK guns and on Reilly's was compiled; An attempt was made to try to understand UK patent use numbers and payment for same.
-- Personal history: Personal elements contributed by a Reilly kin and by other knowledgeable authors were added once these were verified.
-- Military contracts: Reilly attempts to win a military contract from Arsenal over 1840-1870 was researched and published.
-- Center Break guns: Reilly very early involvement in making and promoting break action (Fusils a Bascule) pin-fires from the beginning of the UK center-break gun industry in the mid 1850's including his involvement in the "Field" trials in 1858, 59 was detailed.
-- Military breech-loaders: History of Reilly involvement in the attempt to get Arsenal to consider, then adopt breech loaders including petitions to reopen the 1853 adoption of the Enfield rifle-musket in favor of the Prince, and in the Arsenal sponsored breech loading competitions of '65 and '69-70' were researched.
-- Green Bros breech-loader manufacture: Reilly history of manufacturing Green Brothers patent breech loaders 1864-71 was reviewed.
-- Prince breech-loader manufacture: Ditto to Reilly history of manufacturing Prince patent breech loaders 1857-70.
-- Comblain manufacture: Ditto to Reilly manufacturing of the Reilly-Comblain breech loader 1867-1875.
-- Stocks and Engraving: Distinctive Reilly stocks and engraving style was researched and documented.
-- Yoemanry Militia: Reilly wholesale sales to Yoemanry Militia for 35 years was documented.
-- Shooting grounds: Reilly shooting grounds and gallery were identified..
-- Air gun library: Reilly history of air-gun/air-cane making 1841 - 1880's was detailed and documented and a photo library of guns compiled.
-- Royal warrant: Reilly attempts to obtain a royal warrant in 1862 mentioned (there is a lot more to this...) and his obtaining Royal warrants from Netherlands, France, Spain and Portugal.
-- Prosecution: Reilly prosecution for violating British neutrality in the Franco-German war of 1871 mentioned for the first time ever.
-- Foremen: Two Reilly foremen, one from 1861 and the other 1898 identified
-- Cartridge manufacture: Reilly involvement in manufacturing cartridges from the late 1850's researched.
-- Pigeon shooting: Reilly involvement in Pigeon shooting competitions and his manufacture of guns to Hurlingham specifications was extensively researched and reviewed.
-- Famous explorers/hunters: Use of Reilly guns by famous African explorers and hunters was gone over...including use by some of the most renowned hunters and explorers of the age.
-- Writers of the age: As was the use of Reilly's guns by some of the most knowledgeable gun-sport writers of the day, who were physically in Reilly's shops.
-- Bankruptcy: Date of bankruptcy in 1912 was identified and corrected.
-- Riggs: Date of the purchase of the Reilly name by Charles Riggs in 1922 was corrected., the serial numbers of the Rigg's guns identified, and a history of sorts of Charles Riggs was compiled (a lot of this not yet published).
-- Commercial sales-hand guns: Reilly commercial sales of pistols and revolvers reviewed, including his engraving of same and his importation of Liege guns in parts, which were assembled in his workshops in London.
-- Commercial sales-rifles: Reilly commercial sales of other rifles he did not make including Sharps, Winchester, Wesley-Richards, etc. was gone over.
-- Silver maker mark: His 1818 silver maker's mark was discovered and silverware and other items his jewelry shop made was published (there is more to this that hasn't been posted).
-- there are dozens of more topics that have been researched:
. . . . . - manufacturing processes,
. . . . . - barrel blacking and engraving,
. . . . . - tools used in mid-1800's gun maker shops,
. . . . . - anti-catholic prejudice at the time
. . . . . - history of UK princes who bought or gave Reilly guns.
. . . . . - waisted bullets - origin, use...flat trajectory advantages.
. . . . . - Worlds' Fair medals
. . . . . - militia organization,
. . . . . - gun-club rules and organizations,
. . . . . - pigeon shooting rules,
. . . . . - silver-smith requirements,
. . . . . - history of jewelers making guns,
. . . . . - gun permit fees,
. . . . . - history of the Arsenal 1865 and 1869-70 breech loading competitions,
. . . . . - history of UK military rifles,
. . . . . - Pretty much the history of Western Europe in the 19th century, especially France of Napoleon III and its poetry.
. . . . . - London Proof House history, records
. . . . . - Dating the EM Reilly authored air-gun pamphlet...etc.

-- And prima facie evidence was presented that over 90 years Reilly was more than just a "retailer!"

Will advise additional facts as they turn up.

And for all of you who have contributed to this history (I've repeatedly changed the chronology based on new information from this board), welcome additions or objections/dissensions to this narrative. Opinions are ok but history would prefer facts - thanks. After all, this is UK gun history and is very much a work-in-progress.

Edited by Argo44 (02/07/20 11:58 PM)

#561426 - 12/28/19 02:42 PM Re: E.M. Reilly; History; Chronology; Serial Numbers [Re: Argo44]
Argo44 Offline
Sidelock

Trade/Case label compendium moved from p.34 and updated:
For those selling, researching Reilly's - a simple Reilly label cheat sheet to accompany the "New History" above. (It's discussed in more detail in two previous posts). This is not written in stone - a label for EM Reilly & Co., Gun Maker (Oct 59-Aug 60) (6 below) was used on a gun case housing a gun dated 1863 (#12960). But it will get you close:

"Outlier labels" - all with "Gun & Rifle Manufacturers" on the labe (post 1869)l

Reilly Presentation Case labels:- Note change from "Gun Manufacturers" to "Gun & Rifle Manufacturers" to "Gun & Rifle Makers"; All using the exact same Fonts over 40 years.

This is a "custom" case/trade label for 23577 (1883) pictured above.

Holt's believes this Label for a side-lock o/u muzzle loading pistol is homemade, not printed thus not part of the chronology. (Yet per above one must wonder who made this. Might this be E.M.'s original art for his concept of the new 1849-50 time-frame Reilly label?)

Edited by Argo44 (01/09/20 09:11 PM)

#561532 - 12/29/19 09:12 PM Re: E.M. Reilly; History; Chronology; Serial Numbers [Re: Argo44]
Argo44 Offline
Sidelock

Moving this chart forward again - it is a working document and is updated each time a new gun is found; when new "marker" serial numbered guns appear, the chronology is adjusted (as has happened several times over the last 3 years).
===========================================================================================
1820-1912 - Extant Gun Chronology

This is the current SN list with extant guns used to make the chronology date-chart. Reilly SN'd around 33,000 guns from the early 1820's to 1912. There are about 370 listed here (not including the Riggs numbered guns) with about 50 more known but with SN's not published, a little more than 1% of the company's serial-numbered production but still a good sample. This list should get a Reilly owner close to the date his gun was numbered. It's more accurate from about 1855-1905 because of the number of existing guns. Caveats and Methodology - see above/below.

*Note: First Reilly pin-fire center-break gun found is 1858. The majority of Reilly center-break guns up to about 1873 were pin-fires, often converted to center-fire. After 1874 "pin-fire/center-fire" designation is no longer used as center-fire became the norm.

Year. . . . . . . . . . . .Serial Numbers. . . . . . . . . .yearly production
. . . Black-Main Chronology; Blue - JC “7000” series. . . . . .*Marker footnotes. **Sanity checks
outlier SN's. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Various known patents on SN'd extant guns

1828: . . 001 - . .050 - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50

1829: . . 051 - . .180. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .130
….162 - J.C. Reilly, Holborn Bars, London. 14 bore. Shotgun; percussion, single-barreled muzzle-loader (Henry Nock Patent breech)
….176 - J.C. Reilly, Holborn Bars, London. .50cal. Pistols; Pair of percussion dueling pistols (Buffum)

1830: . . 181 - . .320. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .140
...254 - J.C. Reilly? (no address mentioned). Percussion pistol per Terry Weiland article.

1831: . . 321 - . .460. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .140
1832: . . 461 - . .600. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .140
1833: . . 601 - . .750. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .150

1834: . . 751 - . .900. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 150
..xxxx - J.C. Reilly, Holborn Bars, London. 14bore. Sporting gun. Single barrel, muzzle loader. "highly figured stock" (Picture)
..xxxx - J.C. Reilly, Holborn Bars, London. .45 Cal. Pistol, 14cm long muzzle loading, steel barrel, percussion pocket

1835: . . 901 - .1060. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 180. .*2. 1024. . Late Aug moved to 316 High Holborn
..xxxx - Joseph Charles Reilly, 316 High Holborn, London. 50cal. Pistol; Percussion single-steel barrel muzzle loader
..1024 - Reilly, 316 High Holborn, London. 8.5mm. Pistol; hammer gun, steel barrel, pocket pistol (1st SN's gun with High Holborn on the rib)

1836: ..1061 - .1240. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 180
..1174 - J.C. Reilly (no address). 8 bore. Fowling piece; Percussion single shot, single barrel, muzzle loader.

1837: ..1241 - .1420. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 180
..1292 - Reilly, London, 120 bore, Pistol; steel barrel, percussion miniature pocket pistol. (Last numbered pistol)

1838: ..1421 - .1600. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 180
1839: ..1601 - .1810. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 210

1840: ..1811 - .2040. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 230
..1869 - (unknown) 10 ga. Shotgun; SxS; hammer gun, muzzle loader (Buffum)

1841: ..2041 - .2270. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 230
1842: ..2271 - .2500. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 230
1843: ..2501 - .2730. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 230
1844: ..2731 - .2960. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 230
..4573 (Outlier)- J.C. Reilly, 316 High Holborn, London. Single barrel, 6 bore waterfowler. Muzzle loader, hammer gun. ("7" bore size stamp)(Buffum)

1845: ..2961 - .3180. + 7000 - 7020. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 240
..xxxx - J.C. Reilly, 316 High Holborn, London. 10 bore. Shotgun; SxS; hammer gun, Muzzle loader "highly figured stock" (pic available)

[u]1846: ..3181 - .3330. + 7020 - 7130. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 230. .*3. 7023. .*4. 3329

..xxxx - Joseph Charles Reilly, 316 High Holborn, London. 10 bore? Shotgun; SxS; hammer gun, Muzzle loader.
..7023 - J.C. Reilly, 316 High Holborn, London. 11bore. Shotgun SxS. Muzzle Loader, hammer gun. (1st JC 7000 series but with Holborn still on the rib)
..3329 -Joseph Charles Reilly, 316 High Holburn, London. 10 ga/.58 cal; Shotgun; SxS; hammer gun, Muzzle loader. (Nock patent breech)(Last SN at High Holborn).

1847: ..3331 - .3350. + 7131 - 7230. + 8350 - 8480 - . . . . .250. .*5. 8378. .*6. 7201. .**1. 7201. .Late Mar 47, moved to 502 New Oxford St.
..5512 (outlier) - Joseph Charles Reilly, 316 High Holborn now 502 Oxford Street; 16 bore SxS Shotgun. Hammergun, Muzzle loader. 16 Bore size stamp (Argo44)
..8378? - J.C. Reilly, 502 New Oxford Street, London (label - “removed from Holborn”); 10 bore; Shotgun SxS; hammer gun, muzzle loader. (First New Oxford 8400 series)
..8463 - Reilly, New Oxford Street, London (label-"J.C. Reilly, removed from Holborn"); .390 cal. SxS Rifle; 5 groove rifling, muzzle loader.
..84xx - Reilly, 502 Oxford Street, London; 6 Bore; Shotgun, single barrel, hammer gun, muzzle loader.
..7201 - Joseph Charles Reilly, 502 New Oxford Street, London; (label - "Removed from Holborn") .577 cal; Rifle, Single barrel, hammer gun, muzzle loader. (1st JC 7000 series with Oxford St.rib)

1848: ..8481 - .8640. + 7231 - 7330. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 260
..8578? - Reilly, New Oxford Street, London; 6 bore single barrel, fowling gun, hammer gun, muzzle loader.

1849: ..8641 - .8800. + 7331 - 7440. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 260
..8645 - Reilly, New Oxford Street, London; 16 bore, double-rifle, SxS muzzle loader.

1850: ..8801 - .8960. + 7441 - 7540. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 260
1851: ..8961 - .9130. + 7541 - 7640. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 260
1852: ..9131 - .9300. + 7641 - 7740. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 270

1853: ..9301 - .9490. + 7741 - 7830. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 280
..7801 - Reilly, New Oxford Street, London; 28 bore; Walking cane gun.
..7802 - J.C. Reilly, New Oxford St., London; 6 bore, Single Barrel, muzzle loader, hammer wildfowl gun

1854: ..9491 - .9680. + 7831 - 7930. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 290
..7869 - J.C. Reilly, New Oxford St. London; 12 ga; Shotgun; SxS; hammer gun, muzzle loader (Buffum)(SXS40)12 bore stamp.
..2008 outlier - Joseph Charles Reilly, New Oxford Street, London. 14 bore. Shotgun SxS; muzzle loader hammer gun. 14 bore stamp.

1855: ..9681 - .9880. + 7931 - 8030. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 290
..8025 - Reilly, New Oxford St. London; 13 bore, single-barrel Rifle; hammer gun, muzzle loader (Buffum). (marked Veni, Vidi, Vici)

1856: ..9881- 10170. + 8021 - 8120. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 390. . . . .. .**2. Overdone by orders after Paris. [color:#FF6600]**4. 10655
[/color]
..3514 outlier[/color] - Reilly, 502 New Oxford Street, London. 13bore. Shotgun SxS; muzzle loader, hammer gun (1855-59 case label)13 bore stamp.
..8052 - Reilly, New Oxford St., London. 20 bore. single-barrel Rifle. Hammer gun, muzzle loader. (marked Veni, Vidi, Vici)
10054 - Reilly, 502 New Oxford Street, London. 15 bore, SxS Rifle, pin-fire, Single-bite, Lang-Lefaucheux forward U-L. 1st SN'd extant center-break gun. . (Note: This may be one of the oldest extant UK made center-break gun.)
10128 – Reilly (address not mentioned). 16 bore SxS shotgun; pin-fire, Single-bite, Lang-Lefaucheux forward U-L.

1857: 10171 - 10510. + 8121 - 8200. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 410. .*7. 8186
10315 - Reilly, New Oxford Street, London; 6bore. Shotgun; single barrel, hammer gun, muzzle loader.
10354 - Reilly, 502 New Oxford Street, London; .400 cal. Rifle; SxS original muzzle loader, now double breech loader. (conversion 1895-1904 by John Fry-new receiver, U-L, hammers, stock.)
..8186 - Reilly, New Oxford St., London. .650 (Minie ball). single-barrel Rifle. hammer gun, muzzle loader. (marked Veni, Vidi, Vici) (Last JC made gun)

1858: 10511 - 10930. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 420. .*8 . .**4. 10655. .**5. 10782. .**6. 10811. .Aug - 315 Oxford St. opened
10619 - Reilly, New Oxford St., London; .380 cal; Rifle, single barrel, hammer gun, muzzle loader, “Park Rifle”
10621 - Reilly, London; .376 cal. Rifle; Single barrel, hammer gun, muzzle loader.
*10641 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London; 12 ga. SxS; center break, converted pin-fire, single-bite under-lever under forearm, hammer gun; Lefaucheux/Lang system (Birmingham proofs on barrel; S.Breeden name on action)*in spite of the SN, believe this gun dates to circa 1861-2
10655 - E.M. Reilly, 502 New Oxford Street, London; 12 ga. SxS; center break, pin-fire, under-lever, hammer gun; Lefaucheux's pin-fire system. (New Zealand)
10670 - Reilly, 502 New Oxford Street, London; ?? Cal. Rifle; SxS; hammer gun, muzzle loader.
10782 - Reilly, New Oxford St. London. .577 cal; Rifle; single barrel, breech loader, hammer gun, Frederic Prince patent (1855).
10811 - Reilly & Co., Oxford Street., London. .25 bore (sic) (probably .577), single barrel breech-loader hammer gun, Frederic Prince Patent (1st use of "Oxford St." and "Reilly & Co.")

1859: 10931 - 11340. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 430. .*9. .**7. 11227. .Oct - Name change to EM Reilly & Co.
11227 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford St., London; .577 cal. Rifle; Enfield, 3 band, hammer gun, muzzle loader 1st extant SN gun with "E.M. Reilly & Co." on the rib

1860: 11341 - 11770. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 430. . . . .**8. 11716
11419 - Reilly, 315 & 502 Oxford Street, London; .577 cal Rifle; Enfield, 2 band, hammer gun, muzzle loader. (1st SN'd long gun with "315" on a gun rib)
11645 - Reilly, 502 New Oxford Street, London. 100 bore; Rifle, single barrel, breech loader, Frederic Prince patent
11651 - E.M. Reilly, Oxford St., London. .577 cal; Enfield type, hammer gun, muzzle loader converted to Snider breech loader by Reilly (name/address on side plate).
11xxx - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502 New Oxford Street London (Reilly on case); 11mm. 4 barrel shotgun, hammer gun, muzzle loader
11716 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London; .577 Enfield rifle. muzzle loader, volunteer rifles. Presented as a prize Christmas 1860

1861: 11771 - 12210. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 430
11820 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Address not mentioned); 12 gauge, Shotgun SxS; hammer gun, muzzle loader, steel barrels?
11937 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502 New Oxford St., London; 4 bore, Shotgun single barrel; U-L, non-rebounding hammer gun (original muzzle loader, converted to center-break/center-fire by J. Squires)
12069 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 315 & 502 Oxford Street, London; .451 cal. Rifle; hammer gun, muzzle loader.
12073 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 315 & 502 Oxford Street, London; .451 cal. Rifle: hammer gun, muzzle loader; Sutherland rifle target sight
12088 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not legible); .451 cal. Rifle; hammer gun, muzzle loader.

1862: 12211 - 12740. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 430. . . . .**9. 12532
12251 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford St., London; SxS Cape rifle .25 bore/.500; hammer gun, muzzle loader.
12532 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502 New Oxford Street, London; 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. gilded hammer gun, muzzle loader. London Exposition gun mentioned in several articles
12543 – E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 14 bore, hammer-gun, Lefaucheux forward facing U-L. Traces of of a Liège proof mark.

1863: 12741 - 13170. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 430
12861 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street., London; 12 bore, Shotgun SxS. hammer gun, muzzle Loader.
12855 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Address not mentioned); 14 bore, shotgun SxS. hammer gun; muzzle Loader.
12920 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street., London; 14 bore Shotgun SxS. hammer gun, muzzle loader;
(1)3007 outlier? - E.M. Reilly & Co., 315 Oxford Street, London; 16 bore, SxS; pin-fire, under-lever, hammer-gun (the "1" is hypothetical)
13033 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London; 20 bore; Shotgun SxS; pin-fire, Jones under-lever (U-L), hammer gun (Buffum)
13081 - E.M. Reilly & Co. (Address not mentioned); 14 bore SxS shotgun, U-L, non-rebounding hammer gun.
13132 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford St., London. 40 bore (.50) SxS Percussion breech-loading Rifle, "Terry’s patent:
13165 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London; .451 military target rifle; hammer gun, muzzle-Loader. 5 groove rifling.

1864: 13171 - 13600. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 430. . . . .**10. 13333
13194 - E.M. Reilly & Co., London. 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. pin-fire, back action, hammer gun (parts only)
13224 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (sleeved barrels). 12 ba. Shotgun SxS. pin-fire (converted), U-L, back-action hammer gun.
13333 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502 New Oxford St., London; .577 cal. Rifle; single barrel, breech loader, hammer gun, Gun 23 of Green Bros 1862 patent, Reilly manufacture
13578 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 bore SxS shotgun, hammer gun, muzzle-loader.
13580 - (name/address not mentioned). 8 bore, shotgun, single barrel, pin-fire, U-L hammer gun. (Rudyard)
13590 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502 New Oxford Street, London. 10 bore; Rifle SxS; hammer gun, muzzle loader.
13599 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502 New Oxford Street, London. 12 bore; Rifle SxS; 2 groove double express, hammer gun, muzzle loader.

1865: 13601 - 14030. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 430
13602 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (rib relaid in India), 8 bore, Double Rifle; muzzle loader (numbered 296 on the replaced trigger guard - Indian gun)
13688 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London; 20 bore; Shotgun single barrel (originally a rifle); center-fire, U-L, hammer gun. Joseph Brazier action; first extant center-break, center-fire gun (rifle)
13691 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned); 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. U-L, hammer gun, full scroll work. (pin-fire or center-fire not mentioned)
13816 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). Shotgun SxS. 12 ga. pin-fire, U-L, hammer gun.
13884 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned); .577 single barrel breech loading Green Bros Patent rifle. Gun 159 of Green Bros 1862 patent

1866: 14031 - 14460. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 430
14115 - E.M. Reilly & Co., London. Shotgun SxS; center-fire, Jones U-L, hammer gun First extant center-break, center-fire shotgunSee 1866 patent of centerfire primer shells for shotguns
14356 - (name/address not mentioned). 12 bore shotgun SxS, pin-fire; U-L. Brum proofs (Rudyard)

1867: 14461 - 14910. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 450
14469 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Address not mentioned). 12 bore shotgun, SxS; pin-fire; U-L, bar-in-wood.
14580 - E.M. Reilly & Co., London. 12 ga. Shotgun SxS; hammer gun, muzzle loader.
14672 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London; 12ga Shotgun SxS. pin-fire, U-L, back action, hammer gun. (Steve Nash's gun).
14763 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London. .577 Single barrel Green Bros Patent rifle. Pat use #177

1868: 14911 - 15510. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 600. .*10. 14983. .Mid-Feb 68, 2 rue Scribe, Paris opened.
14983 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London & 2 rue Scribe, Paris; 8 bore. Shotgun SxS; U-L, hammer gun (unique center-fire hammers). (First Rue Scribe, Paris address)(12bore's gun)
14985 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London. 16 ga. Shotgun SxS; pin-fire (converted) to center-fire, U-L, hammer gun, (Buffum)(SXS40).
..3402 (outlier) - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London & rue Scribe Paris; .577 cal, Rifle SxS; hammer gun, muzzle Loader (Buffum).
15021 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford St, London. .577 Enfield. Volunteer Snider 3 band rifle. German silver rearsight cover stamped "Snider"
15129 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502 Oxford St. London. 12 bore. Shotgun SxS; pin-fire, U-L, hammer gun.
15143 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502 Oxford St. London, 12ga. Shotgun SxS; (pin-fire or center-fire unknown) U-L, hammer gun.
15227 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). .577. Rifle, Snider Enfield conversion.
15239 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford St., London. .577. Rifle, Snider-Enfield 2-band; Birmingham proof.
15255 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Address not mentioned). 10 bore Shotgun SxS, pin-fire, U-L, hammer gun. Pistol grip stock (possibly originally a rifle)
15270 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street London & Rue Scribe Paris. .577 Rifle SxS; pin-fire (converted), U-L. BPE. Non-rebounding hammers.
15272 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London. 12ga. Rifle SxS., pin-fire (converted), Black Powder proof for 13 bore, U-L, hammer gun.
15283 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS; pin-fire (converted), U-L, hammer gun. (Buffum).
15287 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS'. center-fire (original), U-L, hammer gun. (Buffum)(SXS40)
15318 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12ga. Shotgun SxS; pin-fire (converted), U-L, hammer gun
15346 - E.M. Reilly & Co. (no further info). 12ga. Shotgun SxS; (orig pin-fire/center-fire unknown) U-L, hammer gun .

1869: 15511 - 16110. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 600
15531 - Reilly & Co., (no address mentioned). .50cal Rifle Single barrel. Enfield type. hammer gun, muzzle loader. (Buffum).
15564 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 8 bore, shotgun SxS. C-F. U-L hammer gun (SN not clear)(Turkish site)
15625 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502 New Oxford Street, London, 2 Rue Scribe Paris. 4 bore. Shotgun SxS. pin-fire (converted); U-L, hammer gun. (George L.'s gun)
15857 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502 New Oxford Street, London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. center-break, center-fire, U-L. Non-rebounding hammers. (JBLondon's gun)
15961 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no further descriptions). 12bore. Rifle SxS; U-L, hammer gun.
15964 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford St., London. 4 bore SxS rifle. pin-fire, U-L, hammer gun.
16015 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Address not mentioned). 12 ga SxS shotgun. pin-fire, U-L, hammer gun.
16036 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London. .577 Snider, sporterized

1870: 16111 - 16710. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 600
16139 - E.M. Reilly & Co., London and Paris. 12 bore. rifle. pin-fire (converted) U-L, hammer gun, rebounding bar-locks. Gold washed presentation-1994 DGJ article (Douglas Tate)First (original) rebounding hammers-(1867 patent)
16257 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London. 12 bore. Shotgun SxS. pin-fire, U-L, hammer gun.
16341 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (No further descriptions). .577cal. Rifle, Snider SxS. pin-fire (converted), U-L, hammer gun (Weiland); Thomas brains ejector pat use #10487
16356 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no address mentioned). 12 bore Shotgun SxS. Patent push forward U-L, hammer gun.
16359 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (action, stock, forearm only) 12 bore shotgun SxS. S-L, hammer gun.
16442 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street London. 12 bore. Shotgun SxS. center-fire, U-L, hammer gun.
16443 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Address not mentioned). 12 bore. Shotgun SxS. U-L, hammer gun.
16583 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street London. 8mm. Shotgun SxS. center-fire, smoothbore. U-L, hammer gun.
16585 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London and Rue Scribe Paris. 10ga. Rifle SxS. center-fire, U-L, hammer gun.
16607 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no address/no photo). .577. Rifle; Single barrel. Snider Enfleld breech-loader.

1871: 16711 - 17310. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 600
16755 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London and 2 rue Scribe, Paris. Purdey snap thumb hole; hammer gun - in bar. (Rudyard)
16765 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London & 2 Rue Scribe, Paris. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. center-fire, U-L, rebounding hammer gun, extractor.
16768 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no address given). 12ga. Shotgun SxS. center-fire, U-L, hammer gun.
16808 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford St., London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 12bore. Shotgun SxS; pin-fire (converted), U-L, hammer gun.
16810 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 12bore. Shotgun SxS. pin-fire, U-L, hammer gun.
16961 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no further descriptions). 12bore. Rifle SxS. pin-fire, U-L hammer gun.
16987 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502 Oxford St., London. Rifle SxS. hammer gun, muzzle loader. (stolen in Australia, 1875).
17x9x - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street London & Rue Scribe Paris; 12 gauge shotgun, SxS, hammer-gun.
17204 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London & 2 Rue Scribe, Paris. 12 bore shotgun SxS, pin-fire, U-L non-rebounding hammergun.
17244 - E.M. Reilly & Co., London (Barrels by E.J. Churchill (Gun Makers) Ltd, 8 Agar Street, Strand, London. 12 bore. SxS Shotgun, center-fire, U-L, hammer gun
17261 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London; .577 Double Rifle, pin-fire (converted), U-L, hammer gun.

1872: 17311 - 17910. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 600. . . . .**11. 17314
17314- E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London. .577/.450. Rifle Martini-Henry type single barrel.First Reilly Martini
17391 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 8bore. Shotgun SxS. pin-fire (converted), U-L, hammer gun. (Buffum)
17392 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford St., London; 16 ga SxS Shotgun; center-fire, Side Lever, hammer-gun. (Buffum)
17393 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London and 2 Rue Scribe, Paris; 12bore. Shotgun SxS. center-fire, Push-forward U-L, hammer gun. Purdey Pat 1104, use #948 (CBL1's gun)
17476 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 12 bore. Shotgun SxS. center-fire, U-L, Hammer gun (Buffum) (Purdey Pat 1104)
17495 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned); 12 bore Shotgun SxS. U-L, pin-fire converted, hammer gun. (Tomato Stake's gun)
17532 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street and Rue Scribe, Paris. 12bore. Shotgun SxS, muzzle loader. Once owned by Empress Eugenie.
17534 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London; 12 bore, SxS shotgun. center-fire, push-forward U-L, hammer gun, Purdy 1104 patent use # 1037.
17552 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London. 13 bore, Shotgun SxS. pin-fire (converted); U-L, hammer gun (reb87’s gun)
17556 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 bore, SxS shotgun. U-L, hammer gun.
17612 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London. 12ga. SxS shotgun, C-F, Thumbhole U-L, hammer gun.

1873: 17911 - 18510. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 600
17979 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. Rifle SxS. .577. U-L, hammer gun

1874: 18511 - 19140. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 630
18514 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned); 8 bore. Single barrel rifle; Snider Patent & Newmark's Patent
18523 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street & rue Scribe, Paris. Shotgun SxS 12. bore; U-L, hammer gun, Purdey patent 1104, use #2135
18533 - E.M. Reilly & Co., London (address/name not stated); 16 ga. U-L, hammer gun; steel re-barrel.
18534 - E.M. Reilly & Co., London (address not mentioned): 8 bore, SxS; rifle; hammer gun, U-L, 28” barrel.
18536 - Illegible name. 20bore. Shotgun SxS. U-L, back action hammergun.
18547 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 15 bore. Shotgun SxS; pin-fire, U-L, hammer gun. Needham’s Patent
18550 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. .577BPE. Rifle SxS; U-L, hammer gun(Buffum).
18593 - E.M. Reilly & Co., London and rue Scribe, Paris. 8bore, SxS shotgun; original CF, U-L, Hammer gun.
18595 - E.M. Reilly & Co., London. .450BPE. Rifle SxS. BPE; U-L, hammer gun.
18688 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 8 bore. Shotgun SxS. U-L, hammer gun
18763 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 10 bore. Shotgun SxS. U-L, rebounding bar locks hammer gun.
18766 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 500BPE. Rifle SxS; U-L, rebounding hammer gun. (Krakow Kid's gun)
18782 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no barrels). 12 bore, U-L, hammer gun. Action/stock only
18797 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street London & rue Scribe, Paris. .500 BPE, U-L, hammer gun, Henry Patent A&T use# 399, 400
18856 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street London & Rue Scribe. Paris. Sxs .500 BPE. U-L, rebounding back-action hammer gun. Henry Patent A&T use# 448, 449
18860 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street London & Rue Scribe. Paris. 4 bore Shotgun SxS. U-L, non-rebounding hammer gun.
18954 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 500 BPE. Rifle SxS. U-L, rebounding hammer gun. (Krakow Kid's gun)

1875: 19141 - 19780. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 640. . . . .**12. 19286
19187 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 39 bore (=.50 Cal) SxS Rifle, under-lever, hammer gun. (S. Africa gun)
19190 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London and Rue Scribe, Paris. 12 bore. Shotgun? SxS, hammer gun; Purdey patent snap-action push-forward U-L, Parson’s Patent 201, 20Jan68 use #895, Scott key 1873 fore-end patent 3756. 25.5” barrels.
19286 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 10 bore. Shotgun SxS. Side lever?, Rebounding hammer gun. H.Walker patent 455, 12 Feb 1872 (use #1098); no "not for ball" or "choke."
19354 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). Shotgun (originally a rifle). single brl 20 bore. U-L, hammer gun.

1876: 19781 - 20430. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 650
19827 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502 New Oxford Street, London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Side lever, hammer gun. (Buffum). First with "not for ball" (barrel flats not pictured so not confirmed.)
19951 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Address not mentioned); 12 bore. SxS shotgun. Thumbhole U-L, hammer gun. 32” barrels. 9lbs 8.5oz
19953 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London. 500 BPE. Rifle SxS. U-L hammer gun, steel barrels. Round back-acton lock. First steel barrel?
19954 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned); ,500 BPE SxS Rifle. Top lever, rebounding back-locks. Purdey patent 1104
20100 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). Shotgun SxS. Ga. not mentioned, U-L hammer gun. no other info
20125 - Name on barrel not published. 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. French site-no other info.
20255 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 ga, Shotgun SxS; top lever, hammer gun. First top lever?
20265 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). .577/500 Rifle SxS. U-L, hammer gun.
203xx - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford St., London & rue Scribe, Paris. 500 BPE double rifle. U-L, hammer gun. Henry rifle patents.
20377 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned); Shotgun SxS. 12 bore, U-L, hammer gun. (HWK's gun)
20396 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford St., London. 20ga. Shotgun SxS. Side lever, hammer gun.

1877: 20431 - 21080. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 650. . . . .**13. 20623
20466 - E.M, Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London, 10 Bore. Shotgun SxS. Top-Lever hammer gun. Purdey pat 1104 use #3463; No "Not for Ball"
20467 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street London & Rue Scribe Paris. 12ga. Side lever hammer gun. (Irrational's gun)
20498 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address indistinct). 12 ga Shotgun. SxS, top lever hammer gun with ejector. Gun is in India.
20538 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London and rue Scribe, Paris. 12 bore. Shotgun SxS. Sidelock, non-ejector, U-L, Back action hammer gun.
20614 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). Shotgun SxS. S-L, hammer gun.
20623 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford St., London and Rue Scribe, Paris. 12 bore. Shotgun SxS. U-L, rebounding hammer gun. Purdey patent 1104 use #4928
20674 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Address not mentioned). BPE SxS rifle, .500 (3”). U-L, Hammer gun.
20681 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Address not pictured). 12bore SxS, Shotgun, Side lever, hammer gun. "Not for Ball"
20808 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford St, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. .500BPE. Rifle SxS. U-L, rebounding hammer gun.
20827 - E.M. Reilly & Co., ???. 10bore. Shotgun SxS. U-L, rebounding sidelock hammergun.

1878: 21081 - 21730. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 650
21098 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no other info). 10bore. Shotgun SxS. Sidelock, U-L, bar action hammer gun.
21099 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12bore. Shotgun SxS. Sidelock, hammer gun. Black powder proof.
21103 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford St., London. 12 ga. Shotgun single barrel. U-L, hammer gun. Black powder proof. Steel barrel.
21304 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). .450/.500 BPE. Rifle SxS. U-L, hammer gun.
21308 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). .450 BPE. Rifle SxS. U-L, hammer gun.
21339 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London. 12bore. Shotgun SxS (2nd of a pair). U-L, rebounding hammer gun.
21361 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. .450BPE. Rifle SxS. U-L, hammer gun. Henry patent use #3524, #3525
21369 - E.M. Reilly & Co., address not mentioned. .450 BPE Rifle SxS. U-L, hammer gun. Henry patent A&T use #3793, #3794; JP Patent 1452
21403 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street. London. 12 ga. Shotgun single barrel. U-L, Hammer Gun
21440 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 315 Oxford Street, London; 12 bore, Shotgun SxS. U-L, percussion back-action locks.
21470 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris; Shotgun SxS, 16 gauge; top lever, hammer gun.
21486 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Address not mentioned). .450 Double rifle. BPE, U-L hammer gun. Henry rifling
21534 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 8 bore SxS; U-L, hammer rifle. Non-rebounding locks

1879: 21731 - 22380. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 650
21761 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 500BPE. snap U-L, hammer gun.(SXS40)
21839 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 20 bore, SxS Shotgun. Top lever, hammer gun. (Diggory)
21883 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (on side plates); 20ga. Shotgun SxS. U-L, rebounding hammer gun. (Buffum)
21924 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 20 bore. Shotgun SxS. U-L hammer gun
22038 - (no name in ad). 12ga. Shotgun SxS. U-L, hammer gun.
22068 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street London & Rue Scribe a Paris. 8 cal BPE. Rifle SxS. Back side lock hammer gun.
22077 - (no name in ad). 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Hammerless, U-L, Whitworth patent First hammerless gun?
22093 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no address mentioned). 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Steel barrels, U-L, Hammer gun. Thomas Woodward action. (Buffum)(SXS40).
22112 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12ga Shotgun SxS. U-L, Lang trigger plate action; internal hammer.
22210 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not legible). 12ga? Shotgun SxS. Sidelever, hammergun. No ejector. Bar action locks.
22228 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 10 ga, Shotgun (originally a rifle) SxS. U-L, hammer gun.

1880: 22381 - 22930. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 650
22423 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London & rue Scribe Paris. 12bore SxS shotgun; side lever, hammer gun. Bar in wood. Anson release
22432 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502 New Oxford St., London. .577 SxS BPE Rilfle. U-L, hammer gun.
22574 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). .360 Double Rifle; U-L., steel barrels, hammer gun, rebounding back locks. Henry patent rifling.

1881: 22931 - 23630. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 700. .*11. 23536. .**14. 23536. .**15. 23574
23153 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London & rue Scribe, Paris; 8 bore, Shotgun SxS. U-L, hammer gun.
23172 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 315 Oxford St., London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Top lever. nammer gun. W.Anson/6912/patent.
23355 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 12bore. Top lever, pigeon, hammer gun.
23362 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned); 16bore. Shotgun SxS; top lever, bar in wood, hammer gun.
23515 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no address); 12bore. Shotgun SxS. U-L, back action hammer gun.
23536 - E.M. Reilly & Co, 277 Oxford St., London. Shotgun SxS 12 ga. BLE. Steel Barrels. A&D Patent use #3814 (RWG’s gun)(1st use of renumbered addresses 277, 16)
23574 - No mention of name. 12 bore; Shotgun SxS; Side lever, Pigeon gun, third bite, hammer gun.

1882: 23631 - 24680. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1050. . . . .**16. 24534
23746 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no address/photo). 36ga. Rifle SxS. BPE top lever, back action, hammer gun. Gabriel restoration project.
23816 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford Street, London. .22LR (relined). Rook rifle. S-L, hammer gun.(Buffum).
23843 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 12bore. Shotgun SxS. Top lever, hammer gun.
23849 - E.M. Reilly & Co., No address mentioned. .577 SxS BPE rifle; 3” chamber, top lever, hammer gun; Henry rifling patent
23898 - E.M. Reilly & Co., No address mentioned. 28 bore SxS. S-L Shotgun.
24354 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 315 Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. top lever, steel barrels, hammer gun. (Buffum)
24365 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not given.). Shotgun SxS, 12 bore, top lever, 31” whitworth steel barrels, pigeon gun
24398 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 315 Oxford Street, London & rue Scribe, Paris; .500 BPE. Rifle SxS. 28" barrels. Best engraving, U-L, hammer gun.
24534 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 bore SxS Shotgun pigeon gun; top lever, hammer gun.
24627 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. .500 BPE. Rifle SxS. Top lever, hammer gun (Buffum)
24672 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 16ga. Shotgun SxS. Top lever, hammer gun. (Buffum)
24675 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 bore SxS. top lever, hammerless, back lock, non-ejector. Scott action patent 761.

1883: 24681 - 25730. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1050
24820 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Address not mentioned). 28 bore Shotgun SxS, Side-lever, hammer gun.
24850 - Rebarrelled. No name. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Steel Barrels by Norwich. Top lever, side lock. (Buffum)(SXS40)
24970 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 bore SxS Shotgun, top lever, hammer gun.
25038 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Sreet, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 12 Bore Shotgun SxS. Top lever, hammerless. Scott/Baker pat 761, use #200; Needham/Hinton sears (Pat 705) 1879 patent.
Xxxxx - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford Street, London and Rue Scribe, Paris. .500 BPE. Rifle SxS. U-L, non-rebounding hammers.
Xxxxx - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford Street, London & 2 Rue Scribe, Paris. 12bore/.577. Cape gun SxS.
Xxxxx - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford Street London & 2 Rue Scribe, Paris. 8bore. Rifle SxS. Hammer gun, muzzle loader.
25161 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502, New Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. .500BPE/12ga. Rifle/Shotgun; side lever, hammer gun. (King of Spain prize - 1880 case; 1883 gun) Purdey double-bite patent 1104
25172 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned ) (type gun not mentioned)
25183 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no address - Lindsey barrels). 12bore SxS Shotgun. top lever, hammerless, side lock.
25232 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502, New Oxford Street, London. Shotgun SxS. U-L, back action hammer gun.
25273 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502, New Oxford St., London. .450BPE. Rifle SxS. U-L, hammer gun.
25363 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 295 Oxford St., London*. 8 bore, SxS Shotgun*. U-L hammer gun., 28” steel barrels (*rebarreled/repurposed from a large bore rifle after 1903)
25449 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 late 502 New Oxford St., London & rue Scribe, Paris. 28ga Shotgun (originally a rifle?) SxS, top lever, hammerless. (Anson fore grip 1872 patent use #7757 ). (Builder’s gun)
25460 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277, Oxford St., London. 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. top lever, hammerless, back action side lock, Steel barrels. Greener treble wedge system patent (Buffum)
25465 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 ga shotgun SxS. Hammergun.
25516 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no address). 12 bore. Shotgun SxS. top lever, box lock, side ejector.
25519 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford St & Paris. 12 bore SxS shotgun. Top lever, BLNE. A&D use #3976
25572 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford Street, London and Paris. .450 BPE. Rifle SxS. U-L, hammer gun. “To Their Majesties Kings of Spain and Portugal." "Gun & Rifle Manufacturers" on barrel
25592 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford St., London. 12 bore. SxS shotgun. U-L, hammer gun.
25711 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 502 New Oxford St. London. 8bore. Shotgun SxS. U-L, hammer gun.
25724 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no address, sleeved). 12 ga SxS Shotgun. BLE; fine scroll work.

1884: 25731 - 26780. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1050
25741 - E.M. Reilly & Co., ??522 Oxford St., London W??. 28 ga. Shotgun (likely originally a rifle) SxS, BLNE. (barrels may have been changed)
25825 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 bore shotgun, SxS.
25851 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford Street, London and rue Scribe, Paris. Shotgun SxS. 410. Side lever, hammer gun.
26210 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 bore, shotgun SxS. (details not known)(loading label)(gun modified after 1903)(from an IGC working label)
26211 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 bore, shotgun SxS. (details not known)(Loading Label)(gun modified after 1903)(from an IGC working label)
26218 - No address mentioned. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. BLNE.
(2)6257 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 bore shotgun SxS. U-L, non-rebounding locks.
26517 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (re-barreled - Chas Smith & Sons) 28 ga Shotgun SxS. U-L, Hammer gun. (Buffum)
26537 - No rib address; left barrel E M Reilly Gun And Rifle Manufactures, 20 ga. SxS shotgun (rebored rifle?) U-L, hammer gun; (Buffum) (SXS40)
26554 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford Street and rue Scribe, Paris; .450 Cal Rifle SxS. U-L, hammer gun. Steel barrels. (SN ara "26434").
26567 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned); 12 ga, SxS Shotgun. Boxlock, top-lever; prince of wales stock (restocked?), steel barrels.
26584 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford Street and Rue Scribe Paris. 12 bore Shotgun SxS. BLNE. (A&D use #8072) (Papeman’s gun)
26718 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). .380 cal. Rifle Black Powder. BLNE.
26730 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford St., London and rue Scribe, Paris, 12 bore. Top key BLNE
26733 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no full address mentioned). 8 bore. Rifle SxS. top lever, hammerless; Scott Climax action Pat 761, use #1948; crystal indicator.
26734 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). .430 SxS Rifle BPE. Top lever, hammer gun, rebounding back locks

1885: 26781 - 27820. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1040. .*12. 27340. .Late Jul 85, 2 rue Scribe closed.
26781 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford St., London & rue Scribe Paris. .360 BPE, SxS rifle. AD Boxlock; W-R C fastener Top Lever.
26879 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Action, Stock, Forearm only). 12 bore SxS shotgun. BLNE
26880 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxfort St., London & Paris. .500 Rifle SxS. BPE U-L, hammer gun.
26911 – E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford St., London & rue Scribe, Paris. 28 bore SxS shotgun. (Birmingham 1875-87 proofs).
26957 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford St., London. 8 bore. Rifle Single. U-L, hammer gun.
27005 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not posted). 12 ga Shotgun SxS. top lever, hammer gun.
27103 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not known); 12 bore Single barrel, Shotgun. U-L, Hammer gun (action only)
27254 - Unknown…unknown (question asked of a gun question site)
27340 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris. 12bore. Shotgun SxS. Hammer gun. (Last SN w/rue Scribe)
27377 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford Street, London. 12ga, Shotgun SxS. Top lever, hammerless; 3 barrel set, one steel. Scott Climax Action (Pat use # not mentioned), Perks, Crystal indicators (Buffum).
27515 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). Rook Rifle converted to .410. S-L, hammer gun.
27534 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 16 ga Shotgun SxS. BLNE, steel barrels 28”
27548 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). .410. single barrel, hammer gun.
27570 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford Street, London. 16ga. Shotgun SxS. Top-lever, hammer-gun. (Buffum)(Cyril Adams).
27644 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Address not mentioned). 12ga. Shotgun SxS. top lever, hammerless, sidelock ejector. Steel Barrels sleeved.
27665 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford Street, London; 16ga Shotgun Single barrel. Top lever BLNE. "Not for Ball"
27687 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 20bore. Shotgun SxS. U-L, hammergun. (rifle conversion).
27750 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford Street, London. 12 ga. SxS. Whitworth steel barrels. bar-in-wood, push forward U-L, hammer gun.(SXS40)
27764 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). .350 single barrel rook rifle converted to .410 shotgun. S-L, back action rebounding hammer.

1886: 27821 - 28720. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 900
27847 - Name Not mentioned. .450 BPE. Rifle SxS. U-L, ejectors, rebounding hammer gun.
27853 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London & Paris Improved Patent. 16 bore, Shotgun SxS. Dolls Head; Side-clips; S-L, Scott climax action Pat 761 use #2112, Perks, crystal indicators, Scott gas check Pat 617 use #1953, Whitworth Steel barrels, 1st of pair. Argo44’s gun . "Not for Ball"
27854 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London & Paris Improved Patent. 12 bore, Shotgun SxS. Dolls Head; Side-clips; S-L, Scott climax action Pat 761 (use # not shown), Perks, crystal indicators, Whitworth steel barrels, 2nd of pair. (Buffum)
2804x? - Name Not mentioned. .410. Rifle/shotgun single. Converted from rifle. Steel barrel. Top lever, hammer gun.
286xx - E.M. Reilly & Co., address not posted. 12 ga, Shotgun SxS. Top lever, steel 29" barrels. Dutch site.
28650 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford Street, London. 12ga Shotgun SxS. Top lever, BLE. AD pat. Ejector Anson pat of 1884.

1887: 28721 - 29520. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 800. . . . .##1
28861 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford Street, London; 12bore. Shotgun SxS. Top lever, rebounding hammer gun

1888: 29521 - 30300. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 780
29527 - E.M. Reilly & Co., London. 10bore. Shotgun SxS. Black Powder, U-L, hammer gun.
30166 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford Street, London. 12bore. Shotgun SxS. U-L, hammer gun.
30207 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford Street, London. 10ga. Shotgun SxS.
30227 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 bore SxS shotgun. W-R type top lever/doll’s head. BLNE.
30245 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford Street, London. 8boreBPE. Rifle SxS. U-L, hammer gun.
30247 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford Street., London. 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. BLE. (Buffum).
30257 - E.M. Reilly & Co., no address. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Boxlock.
30260 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford Street, London. 12bore Shotgun SxS. Steel barrels boxlock.
30295 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address unknown). Rifle SxS. 8 bore (GaryD007's gun)

. .Have run out of room - See following page for post 1888 guns and footnotes:

Edited by Argo44 (Today at 09:34 AM)

#561534 - 12/29/19 09:13 PM Re: E.M. Reilly; History; Chronology; Serial Numbers [Re: Argo44]
Argo44 Offline
Sidelock

Extant gun list continued from previous page:

1889: 30301 - 31000. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 700. . . . .**17. 30768
303xx - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford St., London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Steel barrels. BLE, Built on W-R action. "Not for Ball."(pre 1887) (Lubzinski's gun).
303xx - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford St., London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Steel barrels. BLE, Built on W-R action. #2 of pair (Norway gun)
30342 - E.M. Reilly & ? (London address obscured), rue..Paris? (on 2nd barrel). 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Boxlock hammerless live pigeon gun. (Buffum)(now SxS 40).
30363 - E.M. Reilly & Co., London. 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. BLE. Top lever, Anson & Deely patent use #6250. #1 of pair.
303xx? - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford Street, London. 12ga, Shotgun SxS. BLE. Top lever. Anson & Deeley patent use #6265; A&D pat 427
30375 - E.M. Reilly & Co., No address - sleeved. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. BLE. Top Lever. Anson & Deeley #1 of pair
30376 - E.M. Reilly & Co., No address - sleeved. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. BLE. Top Lever. Anson & Deeley #2 of pair
30394 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London. 12 bore. SxS shotgun, hammer gun. Jeffries patent ejector 7895-85 #1 of pair (Dereck Stimpson - Gunmakers Company)
30395 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street (sleeved), London. 12 bore. SxS shotgun, hammer gun. Jeffries patent ejector 7895-85 #2 of pair (Dereck Stimpson - Gunmakers Company)
30428 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no address mentioned). 12 bore, Shotgun SxS. Sidelock, ejector.
30436 - name/address not mentioned. .380. Rifle single barrel. BLE, Hammer gun, Park rifle.
30446 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford St., London. 12 bore, Shotgun SxS. BLE, doll’s head W-R type top-lever; 30” Damascus. AD Patent use #7156
30456 - Address/name not mentioned. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Top lever Box lock. (Terry Weiland)
30680 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 bore Shotgun SxS. top lever hammer gun.
30768 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford St., London. 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. BLE. A&D patent use #8245 (PAY’s gun)(A&D Patent expired sep 1889)
30782 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford St, London. Shotgun. double rifled barrels, U-L, hammer gun
30791 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford St, London. .380BPE. Rifle SxS. Box lock. (A&D boxlock pat use #????)
30846 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned. 450BPE. Rifle SxS. BLE. Steel barrels. (Buffum).

1890: 31001 - 31680. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 680. . (Jul 1890 EM Reilly died)
1891: 31681 - 32280. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 600

1892: 32281 - 32830. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 550
32530 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). .500 Rifle SxS. BLE
32576 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford St., London. .410 rifle converted to shotgun, single barrel, push forward U-L
32581 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). Shotgun SxS 16bore; T-L, BLE (John Cambell’s 2006 DGClassic article gun).
32658 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (rebarrelled by Benjamin Wide, BRUM). Shotgun SxS 12bore; Sidelock, Scott patent gun; Perkes ejector pat 10679-86 use #290
32661 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned); 12 ga, shotgun SxS, BLE, self-opener
32665 - E.M. Reilly (full address not mentioned in either ad). 12ga. Shotgun SxS. BLE.
32667 - E.M. Reilly & Co., New Oxford Street, London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. BLE. (Buffum).

1893: 32831 - 33280. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 450
32862 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford St., London. Shotgun. 12 bore. Top lever hammer gun; (stock, forearm and case labels only)
32881 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford St., London. Shotgun 12 bore. U-L, hammer-gun
32971 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford Street, London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Boxlock.
32974 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford Street, London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Boxlock. Ball and Shot.
33239 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned); 12 bore, shotgun SxS, BLE. Doll’s head.
33243 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford Street, London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS (from a case label)
33269 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford St., London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Top lever, hammergun.

1894: 33281 - 33720. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 440
33286 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12bore. Shotgun SxS. 1 of pair
33287 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12bore. Shotgun SxS. 2of pair
33358 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford St., London. Shotgun SxS, 12 bore BLE (steel, sleeved barrels)
33419 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford Street, London. .450 BPE SxS rifle. Anson forearm Pat use #28229
33454 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Sleeved). 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. Sidelock ejector. Steel 30” brl sleeved. #2 of pair
33487 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford Street, London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS (from a case label)
33491 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford Street, London. 28 ga. Shotgun SxS. Hammergun. 24” brls. 3lb 12.5 oz.
33508 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12ga. Shotgun SxS. #1 of pair. Perks cocking rod pat 1968-78 use# 2993
33619 - (no name on rib - re-barreled). 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Steel barrel Sidelock, sleeved by Westley Richards 1960. Perkes ejector pat 10679-86 use #540
33623 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12bore. Shotgun SxS.
33640 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Action, stock, forearm only) 12 bore SxS shotgun. BLE
33673 - E.M. Reilly & Co., London. 12 bore (original Rifle). SxS. top lever, hammer gun. steel barrels.
33713 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford St., London. 12 ga SxS. Shotgun. BLNE. Steel barrels.

1895: 33721 - 34150. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 430. . (Death of Edward Montague Reilly)
33727 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 ga SxS, Shotgun. Sidelock ejector. Steel 28” brls
33741 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 bore SxS Shotgun. Sidelock ejector.
33747 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned-replacement barrels by CS Rosson & Co.). 12 bore SxS shotgun. Top lever, side lock, ejector. #1 of pair
33748 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned-replacement barrels by CS Rosson & Co.). 12 bore SxS shotgun. Top lever, side lock, ejector. #2 of pair
33832 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned)(sleeved). 12ga Shotgun SxS. Top lever, BLE.
33858 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford St., London, 12 bore. Shotgun SxS. Top lever side lock; replacement steel barrels. Perkes Patent 10679 Use #810; Scott gas check use #5897. #1 of pair.
33881 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. Top lever, BLE, Steel brls.(2 brl set)
33890 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. Top lever, side lock, BLE, Steel brls. #2 of pair
33922 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford St., London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS side lock ejector. Cyril Adams gun.
33923 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned -sleeved). 12 bore Shotgun SxS, Side lock ejector.
33950 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16, New Oxford St., London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Side lock ejector. (Obendorf’s gun)
33991 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford St., London. 16 bore Shotgun SxS. Top lever, hammer gun, locks with name.

1896: 34151 - 34670. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 420. . . . .##2
34164 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16, New Oxford St., London, 12 ga, SxS shotgun.
34221 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford Street, London. 16 bore-.450. Cape gun SxS. (pair) Buffum
34222 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford Street, London. 16 bore-.450. Cape gun SxS. (pair) Buffum
34247 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford Street, London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. (Buffum)
34250 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Address not mentioned) 12 bore SxS Shotgun BLNE.
34330 - E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London. .410. Side lever, hammer gun.
34424 - E.M. Reilly & Co., London (address not mentioned); 12 ga, Shotgun SxS. NE
34442 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Steel re-barrel - no address). 12 ga, Shotgun SxS. restocked. SLE. 26” steel barrels. Belgian proof marks. Re-stocked.
34478 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (full address not mentioned). 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Boxlock.
34515 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford St., London. SxS rifle, .500 BPE. BLNE. Steel barrels
34523 - E.M. Reilly & Co, (Address not noted). SxS 12 bore. BLNE. Steel barrels
34572 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (full address not mentioned)/ 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Sidelock.
34582 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no address mentioned). 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Hammer gun, 28" steel (re)barreled by Westley Richards.
34585 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 295 Oxford St., London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. 6lb10oz. 30" Steel barrels (rebarreled after 1903?)
34598 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no address mentioned). 16ga. Shotgun SxS. Hammer gun, Extractor. 28” Damascus barrels.

1897: 34671 - 34920. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 250. .*13. 34723. .Early May 97, 16 New Oxford St. closed.
34723 - E.M Reilly & Co., 16 New Oxford Street, London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Hammer gun. (Argo44's gun) Last SN with 16 New Oxford St.
34865 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford St. London. 12bore. Shotgun SxS. BLE.

1898: 34921 - 35080. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 160
35058 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford St., London. 12 bore SxS shotgun. BLE
35079 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12bore. Shotgun SxS. SLE. (Toby Barclay) -(brls proofed pre-1896; Southgate pat 12314; Southgate ejector trip pat 8239)

1899: 35081 - 35180. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100
35097 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Stock and action only). 28 ga, Shotgun SxS. BLE.
35165 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (No name on rib/barrels). 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. SLE. 30” steel barrels

1900: 35181 - 35250. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 70. . . . .**18. 35186. . . ##3. . 35186[/u]
35186 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 277 Oxford St., London. 12 bore. Shotgun SxS. BLE. Steel barrels. Post 1898 trade label. London 1896-1904 proof marks

1901: 35251 - 35300. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50
35251 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12bore. Shotgun SxS. (frame/barrels)
35292 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Rebarreled by Robert Dollimore in NZ). 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. Push forward U/L.

1902: 35301 - 35350. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50

1903: 35351 - 35400. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50. .*14. Mar 03, move to 295 Oxford St.
35367 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. BLE. Steel Barrels.
35394 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. BLE. Steel Barrels.

1904: 35401 - 35450. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50
35400 - E.M. Reilly & Co. 295 Oxford St., London; 12 bore SxS shotgun (from an IGC working label)
35422 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (Action/stock/forearm only). 12 bore SxS shotgun., BLE (Probably #1 of pair to the below gun).
35423 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 295 Oxford Street in London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. BLE. (1904?) 2nd of a pair. (First SN with 295 Oxford.).

1905: 35451 - 35500. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50
35458 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned). 12bore. Shotgun SxS. Boxlock.
35472 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (sleeved, no address). 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Boxlock.
35493 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (rebarreled). 16ga. Shotgun SxS. Barrels by Elderkin & Son. (Buffum)

1906: 35501 - 35535. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 35

1907: 35536 - 35565. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30. . . . .**19. 35554
35551 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 295 Oxford Street, London. .300. Rifle Single barrel. Rook rifle. Sidelever.
35554 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 295 Oxford Street, London. .500/.465 Nitro Express SxS BL rifle.

1908: 35566 - 35595. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30
35574 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (address not mentioned)…12 bore. SxS Shotgun.

1909: 35596 - 35625. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30
1910: 35626 - 35655. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30

1911: 35656 - 35685. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30
35678 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no address mentioned). 12bore. Shotgun SxS. Boxlock. (Last extant Reilly)

1912: 35686 - 35700. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15. . *15. bankruptcy declared 06 June.

Post August 1922 - ? 130000 - 150000. - . . . . . . . . . . . . . .20,000?. . *16 - Riggs production
133805 - E.M. Reilly & Co., (no barrel). 12 bore SxS Shotgun BLE (Action, stock, forearm)
134183 - E.M. Reilly & Co., 16ga. SxS shotgun. BLNE
136535 - E.M. Reilly..not mentioned. 12 ga. Shotgun SxS. BLE.
136720 - E.M. Reilly & Co., London. 12ga SxS Shotgun. hammer gun, extractor
138279 - E.M. Reilly (address not mentioned). 20bore Shotgun SxS. BLE
139801 - E.M. Reilly (address not mentioned). 12 bore Shotgun SxS. Hammer gun
140415 - E.M. Reilly, London. 16bore shotgun SxS. 30" steel barrels
140451 - E.M. Reilly, London. 16bore Shotgun SxS. (Charles Riggs, post 1917)
144939 - E.M. Reilly, London, 12 bore Shotgun SxS BLNE. 28" barrels.
144941 - E.M. Reilly, London, 12 bore Shotgun SxS BLE, 28” barrels
146242 - E.M. Reilly & Co. Ltd., London; 12bore. Top lever hammer gun. Pistol grip stock.
147613 - E.M. Reilly & Co., London; 12 bore, SxS shotgun, top lever. Ejector.
150570 - E.M. Reilly & Co., London. 12ga. Shotgun SxS. Boxlock non-ejector. (Brm proofs)

*Marker Footnotes
*1 - Summer 1828 - Chosen as the start date for Reilly making guns. Reilly was NOT mentioned in an 1825 list of London gun-makers. Reilly was never a Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Gunmakers. The first ad in the London newspapers specifically for Reilly made guns so far found is in 1830. However, a July 1828 ad is pretty clear that he was selling guns made by him. Likewise, 001 is chosen as the number of the first gun though it could have been "100." 1st extant SN'd gun is 162. Address was 12 Middle Row; Address on ribs is "Holborn Bars."
*2 - Late Aug 1835 - Reilly moved to 316 High Holborn; 1st SN'd gun with High Holborn is 1024
*3 - Late 1845/early 1846 - JC Reilly appears to have split his main-line serial numbers with a series he kept for himself beginning around 7000. SN 7023 is the first of these with JC Reilly on the rib but still with the High Holborn address.
*4 - Last main-line SN with High Holborn on the rib is 3329.
*5 - Late March 1847 - Reilly moved to 502 New Oxford Street. The main line SN series was bumped up 5000 numbers; 1st SN'd gun with 502 along with "removed from Holborn" is 8378. (Note: This is a hypothesis since this gun was advertised as "8578," a number which another gun already carries. This gun is a J.C. Reilly SxS gun with the New Oxford St. address and "Removed from Holborn" on the label. (Reilly used the phrase “removed from Holborn” in his advertisements from early April 1847 to late November 1847; by December 1847 it had vanished).
*6 - First JC Reilly 7000 series with 502 Oxford is 7201 which also has "removed from Holborn" on the label.
*7 - early September 1857: JC retired; the last extant SN in the JC Reilly "7000" series (with "Veni, Vidi, Vici" on the rib) is 8186.
*8 - Circa 01 August 1858 - 315 Oxford Street opened . The company may have used the name "Reilly & Co., for a short while from this time to October 1859. The first gun with "Oxford St." and "Reilly & Co." is 10811 dated per the chart Fall 1858.
*9 - October 1859 - The company name changed definitively to E.M. Reilly & Co.; The 1st extant SN'd gun with EM Reilly on the rib is 11227.
*10 - mid Feb 1868 - Reilly opened 2 rue Scribe Paris; 1st extant SN'd gun with rue Scribe on the rib is 14983.
*11 - Nov 1881 - Oxford Street was renumbered; 1st extant Reilly with 277 Oxford street (or 16 New Oxford St.) on the rib is 23536.
*12 - July 1885 - Reilly closed rue Scribe; last extant Reilly with "rue Scribe" on the rib is 27340. *(Note: There are 3 later guns SN 27533, 27570 and 27854 with "Paris" on their barrels. All three have Whitworth steel barrels and are built on Scott Climax triplex actions. I've chosen not to use these as the end marker for rue Scribe, at least not yet; Reilly at this time was selling both off-the-rack/ready-made guns and bespoke guns made-to-order and I believe these may have been already engraved and sitting in the shop, but not numbered until sold. This is a subjective judgement of course. Additional serial numbers may change this.)
*13 - May 1897 - Reilly closed 16 (502) New Oxford Street. Last extant SN'd gun with 16 New Oxford Street on the rib is 34723
*14 - March 1903 - Reilly moved from 277 Oxford St. to 295 Oxford st. First extant gun with 295 on the rib is 35422
*15 - June 8, 1912 - Reilly declared bankruptcy. Last extant SN'd gun is 35678. Bert Reilly subsequently opened a small gun shop at 13 High Street, Marylebone as "E.M Reilly & Co.", which lasted to about 1918-early 1919; no guns with this address on ribs have been found, no advertisements for it exist.
*16 - August 1922 - (date confirmed-per newspaper advertisements) the Reilly name was bought by Charles Riggs. The name/address on the ribs was "EM Reilly & Co., London." Riggs' had historical connections to BSA - however, some believe his guns were built by Osborn/Midland. The serial numbers became 6 digits apparently beginning around 130000 - The first extant Riggs-Reilly so far found is 133805; the last is 150570. How many of these "Reilly" Riggs guns were produced or how Riggs' numbering system actually worked is not clear. In addition to 6 digit serial numbers most "Riggs-Reilly's" had "Prince of Wales" stocks. The original Reilly's never had this stock (as far a current research goes).

Sanity Checks:
**1. - 7201 would have been serial numbered in late summer-fall 1847. It has the 502 New Oxford St. address (post 23 March 1847) and the label "removed from Holborn" (which existed from April 1847 through November 1847.
**2. - After his triumph at Paris in 1855 - "all guns were sold and many orders booked." The increase in production by 200 guns for 1856 reflects this.
**3. 10054 - Earliest 1858 Reilly center-break, pin-fire gun found dated to Fall 1856 per the chart. Post 1855 label; Matching the earliest Reilly advertisement known for Fusils a Bascule which appeared in the London newspapers on 04 October 1856.
**4. 10655 - Early 1858 Reilly pinfire on the Lefaucheux principle; No one in UK could have made that gun for Reilly other than Lang or possibly Blanch; “The Field” mentioned at this time that Reilly along with Blanch and Lang were “overdone with orders” for breech loaders, likely the reason that in Aug 1858 he opened "the Manufactory" at "Arsenal House," 315 Oxford Street - to satisfy this demand.
**5. 10782 - He began making under license Prince Patent breech loaders soon after the Patent, probably as early as 1857. The gun was serial numbered in early Fall 1858 - 1st Prince Patent gun.
**6. 10811 This Prince patent gun is dated to Autumn 1858. It has "Reilly & Co. Oxford Street, London" on the barrel. "Oxford St" would indicate it were made at 315 Oxford St. opened first week of August 1858. "Reilly & Co., apparently was used from this time August 1858 to Fall 1859. (There are no pictures to confirm the Christies advertisement). 1st extant gun completed at 315 Oxford St.
**7. 11227 - Reilly began using "E.M. Reilly & Co." in Sep-Oct 1859. 11227 is the first extant gun with "E.M. Reilly & Co" on the gun rib and would be dated in Autumn 1859 per the chart.
**8. 11716 - Reilly .577 Enfield given as a prize Christmas 1860 per an inscription on the gun; The chart has the gun being numbered in late November, early December 1860.
**9. 12532 - In 1862 the London Exposition ran from late May to September. His exhibit included a gold washed muzzle-loader shotgun, much commented on at the time, which may still exist. If this is the exposition gun the chart has it being numbered around July 1862 rather than the start of the exposition in May. However, the article describing it was written in September 1862, validating the date chart.
**10. 13333 - Reilly obtained manufacturing rights to the Green Bros Breech loader and per a post on this board began to manufacture them about Apr-May 1864. This gun was number 23...The chart has it being numbered about May 1864.
**11. 17314 - The Martini-Henry was formally adopted (though still being trialed) in summer 1871. The first Reilly advertisement for Martini-Henry's appeared in November 1871. The chart has 17314 being numbered in early Jan 1872.
**12. 19286. The below comment about 19286 was posted on a knowledgeable UK board. The chart has 19286 as being numbered in early 1875 - at the time the UK board was still struggling with the wide-spread disinformation that Reilly had closed rue Scribe in 1872:
. . . . . . ."The action flats have the expected View mark, and they have the H Walker patent mark for his barrel bolting and safety for drop-down actions patent No 455 of 12 February 1872 ( Use No. 1098 ) .
. . . . . . ."Of equal importance to the marks are the ones that don't appear e.g. no NOT FOR BALL or CHOKE mark. The first of these was introduced in 1875, so this and the patent date mean the gun was made definitely not before Feb 72, or after 1875. "It must have been made a couple of years after 1872, say 1874 to early 1875, and we favour the latter because even if the gun was made by a large trade maker, the 1098 use number is quite a large number."

**13. 20623. Purdey patent 1104 use #4928, the last Reilly with a Pat 1104 use #. The Purdey patent expired 01 May 1877. This gun is dated per the chart circa April 1877.
**14. 23536. Oxford Street was renumbered in November 1881. 23536 is the first extant gun with the new numbers on the rib. The chart would date it to mid-November 1881.
**15. 23574. 1882 Hurlingham rules weight limit for pigeon guns was fixed at 8 lbs. This pigeon gun built in late 1881 for the new upcoming season weighs 8 lbs..
**16. 24534. 1883 Hurlingham rules weight limit for pigeon guns was changed to 7 lbs 8 oz. This pigeon gun built in late 1882 for the new rules weighs 7 lbs 8 oz.
**17. 30768. A&D Boxlock patent number 8245. The SN dates the gun to late summer 1889. The A&D patent expired in September 1889
**18. 35186 - Dated on the chart as 1901; it has a post-1898 trade label and London 1896-1904 proof marks
**19. 35554. Reilly double rifle chambered for .500/.465 with 295 Oxford St. address on the barrels. The chart dates it as late 1907. This cartridge was introduced by Holland & Holland in 1907.

Comment on 1887, 1896 proof mark changes:
"Not for Ball" was dropped in 1887 and other proof marks added in both 1887 and 1896. However, by this date proof marks cannot be relied upon to confirm a date of manufacture. Reilly was proofing guns and selling off the rack, but not serial numbering them (apparently) until they were sold.
-- Thus there are guns serial numbered in 1889 with "not for ball" still on them such as Terry Lubinski's 303xx;
-- 35079 has pre-1896 proof marks on the barrels but was numbered in 1901.
-- However, bespoke guns were apparently numbered when ordered and the proof marks on these guns can legitimize the dating process such as 35186.
The fact is, there are not enough extant guns with their proof marks photographed to come to a definitive conclusion; the above is the best reasoning current knowledge can come up with. Auction houses should be urged to follow Toby Barclay's example and publish the important historical information about the guns they are selling.
. . . . .##1. . . . .1887
. . . . .##2. . . . .1896
. . . . .##3. . . . .35186

Patents
These patent numbers have been found on Reilly's and can be used to help date them - caution however; many guns were modified and updated so presence of a patent by itself does not definitively establish a manufacture date:

1855: Bore size stamp required by law (Note: Reilly may have been one of the few gun makers in London, Greener and Manton being two others, who routinely put bore size stamps on his guns before the regulation)
1859, 07 Sep - Jones patent 2020 - underlever (aka double-grip or screw-grip)(lapsed 1862, 19 Sep)
1860, May - J.D. Dougall “Lockfast” action patent 1128
1860, 15 Nov - Henry patent 2802 - 7 groove shallow rifling
1861 - Daw patent 203 - centerfire from a Pottet’s French patent, broken by Eley in 1865 - (introduction of center-fire concept)
1862 - Needham patent 1544, rotating single-bolt snap-action side-lever
1862 - Westley Richards patent xxxcx - doll’s head fastener
1863, 01 May - J. Purdey patent no. 1104 - “double bite” under action bolt (see below re Scott Spindle)
J.Purdey patent no. 424 - retractable firing pins.
1863, 10 Sep - Greener patent 2231 - pinfire snap underlever - see 1873
Needham side-lever
1865, 25 Oct - Scott patent 2752 - spindle. (top lever)(purdey-scott incest for 14 years)
1865 - Needham patent xxxx - safety, firing pins and hammers to half cock
1866 - Webley patent 3022 - snap action underlever
1866 - Pape patent xxxxx - choke tubes
1866 - Hodges patent xxxx - action
1866, March - Center-fire primer cap shotgun shell design by American Berdan
1866, Oct 13 - Center-fire primer cap shotgun shell design by Edward Mounier Boxer.
1867, 05 Nov - Pape patent 70463 - wing thumb lever w/single bite
1867, 09 Feb - Stanton patent 367 - rebounding hammers
1868, 20 Jan - Parson's Patent 201 - chopper lump (Damascus) barrels
1869, 30 Dec - Stanton patent 3774 - rebounding hammer modification
1870 - Lang patent xxxxx- top lever sliding bolt action
1870 - Thomas Patent top lever “double grip” bolting system
1871 - T. Murcott hammerless system
1872, 12 Feb: H Walker patent 455- top-lever barrel bolting and safety for drop-down actions
1872 - Anson patent 3791 - fore-end fasteners
1873 - Deeley & Edge patent 1422 - fore-end fastener
1873 - Scott patent 615 - “key” fore-end fastener
1873 - Greener cross-bolt treble wedge fast locking system
1874 - Needham patent xxxx - separate barrel ejector system (Needham later bought by Greener)
1875, 11 May - Anson & Deeley patent 1152 and/or 1756 - Boxlock hammerless action,

1875 - “Not for ball “added to proof marks based on the Greener choke boring invention.
1875, 15 Sep - Scott patent 3223 - crystal cocking indicator (back action)
1875, 15 May - Scott patent 1902 - top extension
1876 - Thomas Woodword patent 651 - hammerless push-forward under-lever snap action.
1876 - Anson's patent No.4513. Safety aka "Dickie Bird Safety."
1876 - Scott patent 615 - fore-end lever catch
1878, 23 Feb - W.C. Scott & sons patent 761 - coil spring back action hammerless lock
1878 - Mills patent 4980 - 3rd bite
1878 - Perks cocking rod patent 1968 - over-center ejector patent (better known as known as Southgate or Holland system)
1879 - Ellis & Scott action, patent No 2816
1879 - Needham & Hinton patent 706 - intercepting sears on back action (bought by Scott)
1880, 16 Nov - Beesley patent 31 - Sidelock hammerless action marketed by Purdey
1882, 8 Feb - Scott patent 617 - gas check
1882 - Pat 4089 - Anson intercepter sear patent (see Scott)
1883, 11 Apr - Anson & “Deeley patent, Boxlock hammerless improvement
1884, 3 Nov - Deeley patent 14526 - ejector
1886, 13 Dec - Deeley patent 4289 - ejector system
1886 - Perkes patent 10679 - ejector

1887 - “not for ball” dropped; “Choke” added to London proof mark
1889 - Southgate patent 12314 - Beesley ejector London and intercepter sear (see Perkes)
1893 - Southgate patent 8239 - ejector trip (Holland & Holland)(see Perkes)

1896 - “Nitro Proof” and “1 1/4 oz Max” added to London proof mark
1904 - “NP” topped by arm and sword symbol” (definitive nitro proof) added to London proof mark

--------------------------------------------

Edited by Argo44 (09/12/20 09:22 PM)

Page 44 of 52 < 1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 51 52 >

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2019 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.