March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (mbatten, prairie ghost, Jtplumb, DaveB, 2 invisible), 643 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,339
Posts543,405
Members14,386
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

30" extractor barrels markek Belgian near breech and doll's head ext- and Laminated Steel mid rib- rib has same patterns as barrels- some minor scuffing, thin walled at muzzles-.035/.040", at breech o.850" both tubes- both top and bottom ribs intact- no dents, and barrels ring- std. brass small bead front sight

Hammer double trigger marked on lockplates W. Richards Belgium-- full stock with POW grip, black gutta percha bp- splinter forearm with spring snap release ( as on Parker Trojan series)-

Pictures to come along later (if Raimey Ellenberg will kindly post them for me)- as he has in the past.

My guess is- this was an attempt to "cash in" on the reputation of the British gunmaking firm, Westley Richards-- just as I have seen cheaper "knock-offs" of hammer Parkers badged as "Parkhurst"-- if any of you gents can shed any light on this brand of European hammer guns, thank you in advance. Only sign of a serial number is on the under rib- mid way from breech to muzzle- 4311 and a letter D in a circle- breech flats markings are:left tube Large letter C-- in an oval, letters E over L and G over a 5 pointed smaller star--more to follow- RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 11/19/19 09:03 AM. Reason: shorten

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that most of the W Richards marked guns made in Belgium were low-end Pieper made guns, though not 100% positive. My uncle had one of these Belgian made W Richards & was carrying it about his arm one day & stopped to work on a fence. He laid it on the ground & when he finished work he forgot he had it & left it. Didn't discover it missing for a few days & thought it had been stolen. About a year later he stumbled across it, but it was of course totally ruined by then.

He also had my Grandfathers W Richards which has Birmingham proofs. It appears to have been built by J P Clabrough & Bros. I now have this gun as well as the "parts" of the Belgian one. The Birmingham gun is an older gun than the Belgian. Although a long way from a "Best" it is obvious it was a higher quality gun than the Belgian.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

2-Piper, W(William)Richards out of Liverpool was no slouch! They may have records https://www.wrichardsguns.co.uk/

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Many thanks, gents. I also have a Remington 12 bore hammer gun- will have more details after I can get the barrels to uncouple from the receiver--if memory serves, in one of my back issues of DGJ there was a lengthy article on the Remington hammer guns- RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

Send them on Francis & I'll rectify my Photobucket account, I guess.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

RARiddell;
My gun is not a William Richards. Although it is in such poor present condition it's a bit hard to tell, but quality-wise I put it above a Belgian W Richards but beneath the Liverpool W Richards.

Somewhere on the internet I once found a posting by W Richards of Liverpool showing markings that would be found on all guns of their make. Was plain & simple mine wasn't among them. Mine is strictly a wall hanger, kept Solely for its sentimental value.

It appears to be well established that Clabrough did indeed build some low-cost guns carrying the W Richards name, so I assume mine is one of these.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Danke- somehow I knew you would come through for me, as you have done in the past. Being a computer/internext "Putz", I'm a bit uncertain as to what you mean here, meine Fruend. If there is any cost factor to you for doing this on my behalf, please advise and I will make it right for you--I also have some initial details on the 12 gauge Remmie hammer gun-- 32" barrels- top rib near breech is stamped-- Remington Arms Co. Ilion, N.Y. USA. sn on under rib seems to be 35991-- one problem-- hammers and triggers function fine, ditto top lever-How-some-ever- when you unlatch the forearm and pivot open the breech, the barrels will NOT come free from the receiver- Never have seen this before-.. RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 11/19/19 12:58 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox, maybe push the toplever over far as it will go?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I own a Belgian "W Richards" (no period after the W). Mine is a 16ga, composite barrels, exposed hammers, ball grip and splinter F/E. Actually a pretty nice gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

thank you, Suh- will try a soft tap with a plastic hammer-otherwise, I don't know what is preventing the barrels from pivoting out of the frame--RWTF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.