March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (NZHunter, L. Brown, LGF, SKB), 230 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 31 32
#556034 09/29/19 10:06 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If you could only have one bench vise for general gunsmithing, what would it be?

I'm more interested in features of the vise than I am in brand, but if you have a favorite maker and model, that's fine too.

As a side discussion, if you think there is a better option than the bench machinist's vise for working on guns, please chime in.

Jim
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

4" Wilton Bullet vise.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Steve. Just to prime the pump a little more...

Is a swivel base necessary?
Is a carriage makers vise (tall jaws, e.g. Reed 224 or 424) or some other specialty vise better than a standard jaw vise?
Is 4" the optimal vise width?
Are replaceable jaws a must?
Machinist vise vs mechanic vise? (i.e. is the anvil on a mechanic vise essential?)
Anyone prefer a blacksmith's leg vise?

And just in case that doesn't generate enough discussion:

Wilton vs Reed vs Parker... Go!

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think this is a good area to be a bit patient and check out flea markets and garage sales for something older and heavy that wasn't used as an anvil or has a bent handle like it was forced beyond what it was intended. If it's better quality, I like a quick release feature, but true and smooth is more important.

Maybe, jaw face options and why just one vise are thoughts to toss around.

craigd #556042 09/29/19 12:38 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm trolling eBay, Facebook marketplace, etc currently.

As for just one vise... I have a wooden screw leg vise on my woodworking bench and a quick release face vise on my general/gunsmithing work bench. I also have a small tail vise on another little bench where I have grinders and a lathe.

But I'm considering replacing my Craftsman bench vise with the primary use as a gunsmithing vise.

Thus, I'm wondering what everyone thinks it's the quintessential gunsmithing vise.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Every good gunsmith's shop I've seen has used Wiltons. I like them because of the lower profile than other types.

Having said that, I inherited a 4" Yost from the 1960's that has the swivel jaw feature. A bit beat up but brass and lead jaws are still available. Works well for me. Used Wiltons ain't cheap or easy to find or cheap to ship. There's a realy beat up one now on Ebay for $325, at least he's shipping free...

Last edited by Recoil Rob; 09/29/19 12:55 PM.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Yes the Wiltons are painfully expensive but you only buy them once. I do like the swivel feature on mine. I have a 2&1/2" bullet vise as well but use it for small stuff over by my Fordham tool. I need a big very firm vise and the 4" size fits the bill in my shop.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
SKB #556124 09/30/19 11:42 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Around here a lot of gunsmiths use a "Versa Vice" or a more modern Brownell version. They may also have another, more robust, vise of various make for "rough" work.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is what I settled on for my main vise: Charles Parker 674 1/2 Coachmakers or Woodworkers vise. It's a 77# chunk of iron. Should arrive early next week.

I missed a Wilton bullet on Facebook, and all the ones I could find on eBay were either beyond my budget or looked pretty beat up. I'm certain I would have been happy with a Wilton and I'm going to keep my eye out for a good deal on one.

I'm going to answer my own original question by listing the features I like in the Parker:

Stout.
Deep throat and large,non-textured jaw faces.
High angle jaws for easier approach to the work.
Swivel base.
Covered screw.
Elegant design. (On this, I actually prefer the Reed 424 design, which is more refined to my eye).
And, as an added bonus, made by a maker of fine double guns.

I might add a versa vise type vise at some point in the future, but I was really looking for a vise to be the anchor of the bench... And this should fit the bill. I think it will also work well for knife making, hand tool restoration, etc.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I bought this Wilton, brand, spanking, new, in about 1990:

I had finally sickened of going to auctions, and seeing cracked, stripped, bent handles, and every other form of abused vise at auctions, and them being bid to stupid levels of cost. My vise set me back $390, at that time, replacement is well north of 1K, now, and I have a good friend who regularly pleads with me to sell it to him.

The base is 1/4 wall, seamless, drawn over mandrel, 4140 hydraulic tubing, that was polished internally and externally, for some sort of large, two stage ram. I welded flanges on each end, drilled and tapped for the vise base, with a 1 hole drilled and tapped to put a pipe plug into the top. This allowed me to fill the base with spent lead shot and oil, making the entire mount dead blow. It is bolted to the concrete floor with multiple anchors.

The mount is far enough away from the bench that I didnt use the swivel feature. I can walk all the way around it. GET THE VISE OFF THE BENCH! No bench is sturdy enough. The newer Wiltons have a key way in the bottom of the tube, to hold the vise to .005 lateral movement when you are drawing it down. That is important. The older Wiltons dont have that, another reason to avoid auctions, and buy new.

If you dont have a decent vise, you have nothing. It is a foundation tool in any shop, and mine gets utilized for far more than just gunsmithing projects. Id be lost, without it.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.