March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Licensed to kill, bigblock, Der Ami, JDH, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

A 6 lb 12ga. with 1 & 1/4 oz loads might be a little much for hunting buck nAked in jOe'ja....

But then again some 1 & 1/4oz 12ga. shells don't kick as bad as some 1 oz. loads.

Just sAying.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 16 gauge Halifax (License Darne) which is the R type. Its weight is 5 lb 14 oz. It is very comfortable to shoot with regular 1 oz loads. I handloaded some low-velocity loads using 1 oz of shot to about 1100 fps & it was not bad at all. I have shot a few 20 gauge 3" factory 1 magnum loads from a 6 lb gun. You knew the recoil was there but for the number of shells fired as stated for the purpose they would not be unduly Hurtful unless one is extremely sensitive to recoil. I likely would be now at 81 & going through Chemo, but for most of my life was not.

It is noted that in most cases 1 oz loads in the 16 are not "Hotted" up like the normally available 1 oz 12 gauge loads are today. Not many of the "Gas Guns" made in 16 gauge.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
John,
What is the geometry of the stock drop at heel and comb? Seems that many Darnes are pretty high combed, and that will beat up my face a bit.

My Darne is 1 and 7/16" at the comb and 2 and 3/16" at the heel. A point to note is that the breech is almost over the front trigger - whereas an English gun the breech is ahead of the trigger. This makes the gun seem shorter than it actually measures (the breech is nearer the eye), and I suspect increases upward muzzle flip - which adds to the impression of high recoil.

Last edited by JohnfromUK; 11/13/19 01:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No one (except Stan) says one has to load 1.25 oz loads in a 12 for pheasants. But certainly, they work well. I typically use either my own reloads of Bi or Pb shot with 1.25 oz or 1.125 oz loads if I'm buying over the counter, depending on what's available.

I shoot turkeys and geese with far heavier loads in a 6.5# gun. Is a half pound really going to matter for a few shots per weekend? With respect to recoil, of course not. With respect to carrying, maybe so. I cover 10-15 miles per weekend in the late season according to various phone apps that have tracking capabilities. A half pound less weight in my hands over those distances may be nice to experience. Well, I know it is, because I used to use a 6-# 16 gauge Evans, but I sold it.

Pheasant hunting is one of much walking, stomping, jumping and whatever else it takes to get through heavy cover and snow. It is not something that involves a lot of shooting. Most people, not named Stan anyway, have no problem with firing a few stout loads of whatever weight and charge in a light gun. Carrying a light gun is nicer than carrying a heavier gun. Never heard anyone say, "Gosh darn it, my gun is too light to carry." (but then there is Stan). And carrying is what we do 99.9% of the time when upland bird hunting, because this is hunting, not shooting.

Anyway, I'm looking for a light gun. 16 or 12 gauge. I'm going to be as patient as it takes because I can get by, no problem, with what I have, which is quite nice actually. Just looking for something different with a little jingle in my pocket at the moment.

If I said I like to hunt pheasants on days when the sun rises in the East, Stan would probably find some fault in that too.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
No one (except Stan) says one has to load 1.25 oz. loads in a 12 for pheasants.

Would you kindly show me where I said any such thing?

It's the weight of the gun, not the gauge. And the recoil is about much more than unpleasantness. It's about how quickly one can get the gun to bear accurately for the followup shot, be it to finish a wounded bird or kill a second.

You're evidently more.of a man than me, and a much better shot, if you can get a sub-6 lb. gun on the bird for the second shot with 1 1/4 oz. loads, as quickly as you can a 7 lb. gun.

I sincerely wish you the best with the endeavor. No ill will here.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stans advice is not bad. Recoil is a force to be reckoned with.

Ive got a lot of time in hunting pheasants, a lot of time on snowshoes, and plenty of time (maybe too much) hunting birds on snowshoes. In that endeavor, I prefer a LONG light weight gun. I have a folding single shot hammerless, 30 barrel and 46 points of choke, that doubles as a balance pole when I am on snowshoes. Truth be told, Ive never needed a second shot on snowshoes. I have enough trouble getting one shot off, and, if I do, maintaining balance on what is always a questionable footing. I have had times where a grouse erupted from a snow burrow, between the tips of my snowshoes. I have never gotten a shot off at one that did this.

A Darne could be a gun for that work. I guess if I hear of one that comes close to what you say you are looking for, Ill give a heads up, here.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Ted,
I'm not a novice to recoil. Not by a very, very long shot.

I find 32" barrels too easy to plug in snow and difficult to negotiate with in tall grass which is 8-9 feet tall around here. I did this for a while with a 32" Evans, and it was fun, but not what I have in mind now.

I often get second shots on pheasants. They don't bust from under the snow quite like grouse -at least not often. My dog, Gus, and tracks in the snow provide ample warning. Again, usually.

If you see the right one, let me know. One just popped up tonight on GB -I think it is probably substantially overpriced ($4k), but it may be approximately what I want. Although weight is not listed. Pictures are poor.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it is the gun with the full pistol grip, it is a restock in American black walnut, and worth nowhere near the asking price.

That was all I saw at 4K, and it has been there a while.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, that's the one. The stock was totally wrong. Might be okay, but it's not right for sure. It looks like the rear of the fore end is oil soaked on each side. I'm curious what it weighs but at that price, I'm not interested.

Do Darnes ever have full pistol grips? I've not see one.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never. Not unless they have been restocked, here.

Best,
Ted

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.